Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Garden State Menace
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread in this section. To start with, The Glen this past weekend was my fathers first outing in the Newman-Sharp Oldsmobile. I had never been to the track before. This weekend featured all vintage motorsports cars, Domestics and Foreign. I have never seen so many Shelby 350 Mustangs in my life. Older vette were also popular. There were a couple vintage Jags that were imaculate. GTP1 thru 3 cars which were awsome as well.
I was up their helping with odds and ends and for support. My fathers runs a Oldsmobile bodied Trans Am series car built by Peerless racing for Paul Newman back in the early 90's. The car features a chevy small block engine.
My fathers transponder failed and so he never got a qualifying time. In his first competitive road race at 57 years old, starting at the back of the pack; after getting clipped in the pits by an old BMW M1 , and after loosing 1st thru 3 gears, my father was able to take 4th in class all in the same race.
The vintage racing atmosphere seems to breakdown into racers that just like to get out on the track, racer that like to get out on the track with absurdly nice cars, and racers that like to get out on the track with their absurdly nice cars and win. Their were a lot of competitive people. The past few days were a lot of fun.
The best part of all however, our somewhat of a racing partner agreed to lend me his toter home and 39 foot stacker trailer. I'm not missing the vegas meet this year baby.
Enjoy my pics, feel free to comment.
-Mark Hay

An original Ford GT 40:

I'm tired from the trip back , I'll post the rest tomorrow.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
wow those are the tires that i have been talking about! do you know what size rims those tires are on the FORD GT-40? it looks AWESOME!!!!!!

more pics of the ford gt?!?! :) thanks!~

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Very cool, Mark. I didn't know your dad was so into it ...like father like son ;)

me edit: "Mark" not "Mike" ...sorry, I corrected it.

·
TE44 NA-T
1,026 Posts
You reposted the same pic 4 times and another pic 3 times.

·
Garden State Menace
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A shot of the JAger cars Turboed Engine. This car sounded so distinctive when it ripped by on the front straight.

·
Garden State Menace
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drifter said:
HOT!!!! But why the blurry photo of the PTG M3?!?!?!?! Those things are so dreamy
Sorry, the original pic. was from further away. I zoomed in and edited it, but lost quality. Kinda of the same thing with all the cars in the turn one pic.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
sweet pics!

anymore pics of the ford GT40??? do you know if the rear rims were 16" or 17" probably 28.5 tall x 14.5 wide x ??? the fronts look 18's?

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
cool pics.....

what were some of the lap times from the weekend... of the faster cars.. and ur Dads... i was there last weekend and would like to compair....

thanks.... if u can get the Jager 962 times also.. that would be great!

·
Garden State Menace
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lap Times

Given that it was my fathers first outting in the Oldsmobile, he took it easy getting use to the car. He put down consistent 2.08's for the most part. The thing about these vintage groups is that some of the guys are running cars that really aren't within the vintage spec's, some of the different series are just more strict than others.
The Legendary Motorsports Vette pretty much destoyed everyone in its group. most said this was an example of a car that wasn't "completly legal." Again it is this was much less stringent with rules (HSR) and several cars couldn't run with their setups in SVRA.
That big block vette was running 1.45's I believe. I'm not sure what the GTP cars ran. I'll try to find out.
-Mark

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
1:45 is blazing fast...... faster the grand-am rolex daytona prototypes........... do u have pics of this car?

·
Garden State Menace
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The really Fast Legendary motorsports Vette

·
Garden State Menace
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick 95 6sp said:
Very cool, Mark. I didn't know your dad was so into it ...like father like son ;)

me edit: "Mark" not "Mike" ...sorry, I corrected it.
It is not just my dad . . . I just scheduled myself into Skip Barber . . . and I am looking at a Vintage Porsche 911 to buy. I was so impressed by those cars last weekend. The big block vette may have won, but like I said before, these classifications or grouping are suppose to be "production" based cars. That vette may look like its from the 70's, but I can assure you its engine setup and suspenion setup were not.

Anyway, it could be setup to have the best of both worlds because, our somewhat of a racing partner happens to rent space to Jon Grooms Porsche team that currently runs in the Speed Channel World Challenge Series. One of the mechanics for this team, was one of the original mechanics for my fathers car. So, we've got a guy that knows what could be both of our cars. As far racing, I'm 25 and joining the game very late. I'll keep you guys posted. We are going to Road America next month.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
why, my daughter is 25 and she hasn't started racing yet?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts