Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
406 rwhp 392 tq @ 18 psi adding 23%!!!! on the safc! I've got a tO4E 60-1 .58 a/r on stock fuel, stock maf, FMIC with 2.5" outlets, fuel pulsation bypass, 12 volt mod, and the rest. I am thinking its one of three things. (note that a/f was still in the low 12's :( )

1) SAFC not even working so I was on regular settings
2) Something in fuel system taking a crap
3) I have been told possibly something to do with iginition?

I figured this turbo should easily have 430 in it on pump gas which is what i was on. Any feddback would be helpful as I am clueless as to what would make me have to add so much fuel? Thanks in advance

-Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90k, think the pump is going out?

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
CasuaL said:
you should prolly try to up the fuel. i think running 400hp+ on stock fuel is what is killing your performance.

my car made close to the same numbers as his with stock fuel on stock twin turbo's through an auto and i had to lean my safc out :) i'm thinking you should probably take a look at the filter and fuel pump and go from there..

jay

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jaynite. I have a new fuel filter now that I will be putting on and maybe since the fuel pump is old, it couldnt handle the 12 volt mod? It is also a possiblity that the safc isnt working but that still wouldn't have anything to do with the low numbers. With the boost and a/f i had, shouldn't the number be approx 30 horse more? Im confused.

-mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
castmanifold 60-1

granted on race gas it would be mid 400's, i just think im roughly 30 horse lower than i shuold be, i would think i would be mid to upper 400's on race gas and 430ish on pump instead of low 400's on pump. If you put down more at bpu on pump then you have a srong car!!! :)

-Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well heres the deal, I'm changing the spark plugs, the coil pack clips (broken ones now), the fuel filter, the exhaust leaks, making sure the safc is working, and then i don't know. I might grab a fuel pump too and then go back to the dyno.

Couple questions.

1) would the exhaust leaks throw the a/f reading off?
2) I adjusted the safc from 20-24 and nothing changed, it was identical, is the safc not working?
3) how bad would the 2.5" outlets on my intercooler affect me?

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
MDoe8 said:
Well heres the deal, I'm changing the spark plugs, the coil pack clips (broken ones now), the fuel filter, the exhaust leaks, making sure the safc is working, and then i don't know. I might grab a fuel pump too and then go back to the dyno.

Couple questions.

1) would the exhaust leaks throw the a/f reading off?
2) I adjusted the safc from 20-24 and nothing changed, it was identical, is the safc not working?
3) how bad would the 2.5" outlets on my intercooler affect me?
do you see a change if you set the afc at 0?

another question for you, what are you using to get this afr? is it the dyno's wideband, do you have your own in the car?

jay

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wdiebands dyno read 12.0-12.5 from 4k and up. My wideband was reading way off, in the 13's...

I never set my safc to zero when i ran it on the dyno. I drove ito there with it at +10% on 14 psi and the a/f was high 11's. I turned it up 10% and turned the boost up to 18% and the a/f was the 12.0-12.5.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Your numbers might now be low at all...it just depends on how much knock the computer is detecting and how much timing is being pulled. Do you know how much timing you are running...I would guess not, but it would be nice if you did know.
Could it be a possibility that your pump gas isn't very good which would make the ECU pull more timing because of the increased knock associated with bad gas...you did use at least 91 right...not 87?:)

Hope you figure it out.

Take Care

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
#1 that is not a large turbo...infact the sp57 is prob larger than it.

#2 how would the fuel system have anything to do with the power? you people should not be working on cars...all the fuel system does is provide fuel...if ur in 12:1 on stock fuel at 18 pounds then why would u think something is wrong?

there is nothing wrong with the car...maybe the engine is a little tired who knows...you bought a small turbo and now want big turbo numbers out of it...cant happen...i bet it spools faster than the twins in ttc ... that means the stock twins flow about the same.

if u want more power...get a bigger turbo.
flame away...i will have an answer to it all

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SJ said:
#1 that is not a large turbo...infact the sp57 is prob larger than it.

#2 how would the fuel system have anything to do with the power? you people should not be working on cars...all the fuel system does is provide fuel...if ur in 12:1 on stock fuel at 18 pounds then why would u think something is wrong?

there is nothing wrong with the car...maybe the engine is a little tired who knows...you bought a small turbo and now want big turbo numbers out of it...cant happen...i bet it spools faster than the twins in ttc ... that means the stock twins flow about the same.

if u want more power...get a bigger turbo.
flame away...i will have an answer to it all
I know that it still should have made more power, i said that earlier. We are just trying to figure out wahts up with adding 23%. The guy before me with this turbo kit ran 487 rwhp on 98 octane through the MAF and stock fuel. onpump gas it has seen over 430. It has hit 505 rwhp through an auto and stock smic before! It defintely gets good numbers for its size. Definately spools better than anything. I get full boost at 3400. All this aside, it should still be producing more power than a BPU car so something is definately wrong.

As far as timing, I do not know what timing i was at. I am using 93 octane. At 14 psi it shuoldnt be pulling any timing though and it only put down 366 horse then with a/f of 11.8 (adding 10%). Something is out of whack :(

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T04E 62-1 (mine) max flow ~63 lb/min ~= 580 rwhp @ 24-25 psi

dyno 505 rwhp by James D. .58 A/R, P trim @ 19 psi (cast, stock maf, auto, stock ic)
567 rwhp (uncor) by Tim I. .58 A/R, P trim @ 25 psi (cast, vpc, 3row, 720cc)

TO4E 62-1 580 505 Turbonetics T04E 62-1 2.441 / 62.0 P trim 2.544 / 64.6 2.922 / 74.2 .58, .70

per moreboost.org, its his old turbo

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I changed the plugs and clips today and it runs very strong, getting limited traction from a second punch. I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow and perhaps see if there is a difference there. Also I will cehck the settings and wiring on the safc to see whats up with that.

·
2,112 Posts
MDoe8 said:

dyno 505 rwhp by James D. .58 A/R, P trim @ 19 psi (cast, stock maf, auto, stock ic)

TO4E 62-1 580 505 Turbonetics T04E 62-1 2.441 / 62.0 P trim 2.544 / 64.6 2.922 / 74.2 .58, .70

so the turbo is as big as an sp67?

·
2,112 Posts
MDoe8 said:

BTW: that auto run is BS common sense will say that. Or he has a very favorable correction factor setup

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
?? For the most part the high the a/f ratio, the more power you are going to make!

It sounds like your setup is kinda wack, i would get everything working properly before you go and start messin around different things . ie (wideband, safc)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SteelCitySupra said:
?? For the most part the high the a/f ratio, the more power you are going to make!

It sounds like your setup is kinda wack, i would get everything working properly before you go and start messin around different things . ie (wideband, safc)

Yeah I agree, I'm going over everything and making sure everything is working properly again. Seems like I've done this a hundred times now ;)

And SJ, those are the facts about the turbo. He bought it from some company who sent him those facts with it. By his site it appears as if he knows what he is doing. The auto run is not bs, I have a friend who was there and witnessed it. Possibly a whacky dyno but thats what it read none the less

1 - 20 of 55 Posts