Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sound kinda stupid for asking this question but Is it a bad idea to wedge the waste gate open? I know that with it working normally it causes the turbo to only produce boost when needed or under load, However, I would like to here it spool up and the blow off valve while reving the engine too.
By the way.. its an 89 model with a 92 model 7mgte

·
Registered
184 Posts
I sound kinda stupid for asking this question but Is it a bad idea to wedge the waste gate open? I know that with it working normally it causes the turbo to only produce boost when needed or under load, However, I would like to here it spool up and the blow off valve while reving the engine too.
By the way.. its an 89 model with a 92 model 7mgte
yeah id forget about that idea.....if you want to hear it spool get a divorced downpipe and a louder blowoff valve. An aftermarket intake will make you able to hear the turbo more as well if thats what your looking for.....

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
If you wedged the wastegate open, you wouldn't boost at all.

Thats not true, my wastegate arm came off my turbo a few months back. It was like driving a really flat laggy turbo it would still make boost but only above 4000 rpm and only up to 3 psi (this is on a stock CT26)

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ exactly... Now who wants to drive that?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
hmm. i dont see how it would boost to be honest with you. maybe high rpm like you said.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
yeah, I know what youre saying... And I dont think MK3Brent meant it so litterally, but maybe... :dunno:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info you guys. I have been educating myself here and there on the turbo functions/practicallity. Basically I bought the car from a guy that said it needed a fuel pump... come to find out it was missing the intercooler hoses and the ecu fuse. there are 3 hoses that someone put on this engine that I don't know where they go. I know one went to an aftermarket boost gauge which I replaced. There is one that comes out at the bottom in the front of the turbo.. it looks like after market vacuum hose clear / whittish color that they had routed too close and it melted.. the other hose or nipple is at the bottom of the air filter hose near the pcv hose nipple.. any ideas what these hoses might go to?

·
Registered
184 Posts
the melted one is probably the wastegate hose......not sure about the other ones..does it still have a stock BOV? is it hooked up?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
bottom of air filter nipple is for power steering idle up.

·
90T
466 Posts
Thats not true, my wastegate arm came off my turbo a few months back. It was like driving a really flat laggy turbo it would still make boost but only above 4000 rpm and only up to 3 psi (this is on a stock CT26)
That's because the spring holding the WG closed is in the actuator. With the arm disconnected, the WG is now flopping around and open all the time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the melted one is probably the wastegate hose......not sure about the other ones..does it still have a stock BOV? is it hooked up?
It does have the stock blow off valve and it appears to be completely hooked up... I figured there is no sense in buying the inter cooler pipes to put a better bov unless I just bought the turbo upgrade kit and do it all at once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts