Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps :)

I'm here because like everybody here, I like the MKIV, but something stop me to buy one -> his weight.

I plan to use the car dayly (for short distances) + Club events (read track event). But I want the car competitive on track.
And for track issue the enemy is WEIGHT

Its wrong to think you will go faster because your engine produce +100hp over than the stock, the big SECONDS are gain in braking distances and cornering speed, and with 3500pound this car is HEAVY.

So I need some of you to spare their experience in reducing weight of their cars, what did they do and what is the result.
I target ~3000lbs do you think its achievable ?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
get a manual hard top and it will be much lighter stock.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I would buy a Hardtop version (not targa) 6 speed manual.

But I talk about more massive weight reduction, lets speak about seat for example, they seems to weight 500lbs each ...
somebody tried to replace them for some carbon fiber ones ?
somebody tried to remove phonic insulation ? spare tire ? back seats ? A/C ? puting carbon firber hood ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your going to bitch about it, get another car.

Just make more horsepower to make up for the weight, trust me once your pushing 600hp an extra 500lbs will not be on your mind.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bhaha

sports car are not all about "acceleration", I'm pretty sure I ll remind the extra 500lbs when I ll push the brake pedal.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't buy a supra if you want a light car.

Buy an RX7....but there are downsides to that too...;)

Patrick

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
To put it simply you wont really feel the weight reduction because the brakes and acceleration are already amazing. Now on a highly modded car then you will feel the difference when you do some weight reduction.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i cant give you actual weight reduction numbers, but the easiest methods to deduce weight:

-get a SS downpipe and titanium cat-back exhaust
-fiberglass or carbon fiber shell racing seats
-get rid of the back seats
-get rid of the AC and radio
-carbon fiber hood
-really light 17" wheels and tires
-never go with more than 1/4 tank of gas ;)

remeber, reduced weight gives benifits to all aspects of preformance (acceleration, handling, braking...umm mpg, but you should not care about that anyway :) ). increased power only fives benifits to one performance aspect.

but still, the Supra was never meant to be a lightweight. there still is that monster of an engine in there. even if you do all that i mentioned above, i highly doubt you will drop to less than or even come close to 3200.

now you could go the Top Secret route and drop in a T88 powered 3S-GTE....;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes rx7 is the other car I'm looking at.
the match is reliability vs weight :).

·
3,148 Posts
Lets be realistic. First of all he who has the fastest lap time wins. Regardless of whether it done on the straights, in the turns, or on the brakes. :) Here is a reasonable list of weight reduction items.

Smaller battery -22 lbs.
Single turbo -45 lbs.
Exhaust -20 lbs. (est.)
Race Seats -30 lbs. (if you buy a reclinable seat more if it's fixed)
Spare tire and jack -35 lbs. (est.)
Rear sear -22 lbs. (if my memory serves me correctly)
Rear seatbelts and reels -6 lbs.
Carbon Fiber hood -10 lbs.

If you start out with a hardtop with a full tank of gas it's around 3,450 minus this 190 lbs. and your down to 3,260. This is with the stereo, ac, and all power options still in the car (except the power sear of course). If you add a rollbar and harnesses, than you will probably add 50 pounds of this back.

BTW you can't run 1/4 tank of gas at the roadcourse. My car uses 1/2 a tank of gas per session. I got like 4.7 mpg on the track. :eek:

Later, Steve

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:

BTW you can't run 1/4 tank of gas at the roadcourse. My car uses 1/2 a tank of gas per session. I got like 4.7 mpg on the track. :eek:

Later, Steve
Sure you can Steve!!

Well that's if you have tow vehicle with 55 gallon drum in the back ;):D :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WELL

No one mentioned the 60lb spare tire and 20lb jack in the back. Hopefully u guys thought of that one.
Good luck
C.B.B.
That damn spare is heavy!!:mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SHIT

Well not to many people mentioned the spare.
sorry,

Steve
good luck still
C.B.B.

·
Never fast enough
331 Posts
weight reduction+more power=an even faster car

Keep in mind that you don't take yourself out of the class you want to race in, which will really limit you on what you can do. I would start there if I were you.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there is no "class" restrictions, its club events, with just fastest lap time, most of the opponement will be Lotus Elise upgraded, Lotus Exiges and Renault spider.
Don't laugth those small lightweight cars are DAMN FAST once on track :eek:)

I thought I can't choose beetwen thoses 2 cars, so I will try them first cause I'm 1.88m and I have to see if I can drive properly, and second see what will be on the market when I will buy.

thanks to all of you for your help :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JoeD said:
i cant give you actual weight reduction numbers, but the easiest methods to deduce weight:

-get a SS downpipe and titanium cat-back exhaust
-fiberglass or carbon fiber shell racing seats
-get rid of the back seats
-get rid of the AC and radio
-carbon fiber hood
-really light 17" wheels and tires
-never go with more than 1/4 tank of gas ;)

remeber, reduced weight gives benifits to all aspects of preformance (acceleration, handling, braking...umm mpg, but you should not care about that anyway :) ). increased power only fives benifits to one performance aspect.

but still, the Supra was never meant to be a lightweight. there still is that monster of an engine in there. even if you do all that i mentioned above, i highly doubt you will drop to less than or even come close to 3200.

now you could go the Top Secret route and drop in a T88 powered 3S-GTE....;)
Yea...but are you honestly going to want a hardtop with no AC? ;) That would suck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts