Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
says
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the hardtops are lighter, but wanted to know if it was due to JUST the added structural integrity of the targa cars or if they had other things added that the hardtops didn't.

I guess what I'm asking is--say you had a targa and put the hardtop roof on it. Will you pick up all of the weight savings as if you originally had a hardtop? Or are there other things that I don't know about? It's not like targa has power seats and hardtop has manual--I think I know of most of the options on the cars and they were the same for the most part.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I didn't get any sleep last night :(

·
11,219 Posts
Yea I understand what you mean. The hardtops also save a lil more weight because they don't have the 4 mounts for the targa top in the hatch :D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Like a pound? From what I understand all that it is is the added structural support that you have to have for when the targa is off.

S

·
0 Posts
What about when I have my targa off and in my garage as I mob around the Bay?? Then who's lighter?? :p

·
11,219 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:
What about when I have my targa off and in my garage as I mob around the Bay?? Then who's lighter?? :p
Well you have more air resistance, lol. You may be lighter, but who's faster? lol

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Most of the weight is the chassis bracing, not the roof structure itself. A targa Supra that you put a hardtop on will be STIFFER than a true hardtop due to the bracing, but also heavier.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
has the chassis bracing been documented anywhere? pictures? just curious how much more reinforcement is there compared to a hardtop.

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
I've heard you can actually see the bracing if you remove the rear seat and carpet, but I'm not sure what to look for if you didn't have a targa and HT side by side while doing that.

Steve T.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
yes, i've seen the bracing on the targa cars... it's like a 3 point bracket that you can see if you remove the plastic panels on the sides of the rear seats. there is, if i remember correctly, a triangular/pyramid shaped wedge that is held on to the wall of the car by one bolt, and two to the floor of the car. there is also, i believe, a brace that holds together both halves of the car at back of the driveshaft tunnel, but I don't remember too clearly.

a friend of mine wrecked his car a while back and we gutted it. i wanted to keep the bracing and put it in my hardtop for increased stiffness but i completely forgot about the pieces and left them in the car when it went to the bone yard (aka turbotoys) :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts