Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've had some probs with the BL auto in the past, but they took care of it and I got a new tranny. Here's the deal, Sometimes upon takeoff the trans will shift immediately through the gears into OD and will NOT kickdown at all. When it does this it feels like something is dragging inside it and the car has NO power whatsoever. Other times it won't do it at all. Again I'm running the BL trans and the trac fuse is removed. It also has started puking fluid from inside the bellhousing when it does this, when it is operating like it should, it doesn't puke fluid. WTF?? Anybody else have these probs? The first trans did this shifting thing too, so I'm almost positive it's something in the electronics of the car? I've called BL and they pretty much don't know... :scratch:

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
Maybe it is the converter?

Steve K.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how the converter would cause it to shift early and not kick down. I am going to get it restalled higher, but something is telling it to shift and lock the converter too soon.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Larry at SP just informed me that it MUST be the #2 speed sensor. So I'm gonna try it.

H

·
0 Posts
let me know if that works,
Can you hearing a clicking sound like a relay when this happens? That's what mine is doing and its intermittent. Sometimes it works just fine and other times, usually when starting out. the trans will try and change gears kinda like you said but when mine does it I can hear a relay clicking (a series of fast clicks) causing it to change gears. i was thinking it was a speedo sensor gone bad telling the trans to shift when it shouldn't be.
how much is this speed sensor?

On a side note: If i use the "MANU" button, i don't have this problem, which makes me believe it's a relay causing the trans to think it's suppose to shift when it shouldn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have the same problem on my stocker as well.guys,where is the #2 speed sensor?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#2 Speed sensor is on the Driver's side rear of the trans, the one on the Pass side is for the Speedo/odo. I'm thinking mine might be a pinched/broken wire in the harness instead, but I'm going to try this first. The sensor was $57.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it knows that it's bad, I think it's still reading, but just fooling the ecu into thinking that it's gaining speed alot faster than it is.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Does anyone know if a speed sensor fault could cause the trans to not engage reverse sometimes? I've been having this problem for a while now, usually when the car's warm. Any ideas?

InTheRed: did replacing the speed sensor sort your problem?

Gene

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems to have fixed it. It actually kicks down now :cool: What a concept. It fixed the rediculous hard shifting into O/D when you hit the button.
Call one of the Toyota dealers on this board, the speed sensors are the same part #, they will hook you up. If you think your is messed up, just switch the front to the back and see if it shifts normal, but now your speedo will be screwed. It's a good free test.

BTW--- The ECM one is in the FRONT the speedo one is in the BACK and both are on the driver's side on the case. I found that out last night!

H

·
0 Posts
just to be clear from what you're saying here...
you can swap the #1 and the #2 sensor with eachother cause they are the same? if that were true then why would you loose the speedo? unless of course that sensor is soo bad it doesn't work period? but in my case, I don't have this problem all the time. Just once in a while from a start the tranny will try to go from 1st to 3rd then to 1st and 3rd and so on...
i can hear a relay clicking really fast when it does this. i've been able to get by with just using the "MANU" button but this probably won't last long either...
what's the exact part #? i called my local Toyota dealer and he said that sensor was
89543-14030 for $189 ! i'm like WTF !

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't bother trying a local dealer, call Jay Marks or Elmhurst off of this board. I don't remember the part #, didn't right it down. It was ~$50. My front sensor was almost melted looking around the pickup. The sensors are just hall-effect switches, like a crank sensor.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Whats up bud? This is Matt with the red car from Florida that was having all the probs at Texas. Thanks again for all your help! And you know what's funny, this is the same thing that was wrong with my car. The exhaust knocked out one of the sensors so the AEM wasn't seeing any vehicle speed. :urowned: Hope the rest of the meet worked out for you guys, see ya next year with a working car! Haha.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey guys, if you suspect it might be the No 2 speed sensor let me know, Curt just sent me an email w/ a pdf attachment of how to trouble shoot it. just leave your email address here and i'll send it to you.
late.

·
Banned
977 Posts
HEMI said:
Hey guys, if you suspect it might be the No 2 speed sensor let me know, Curt just sent me an email w/ a pdf attachment of how to trouble shoot it. just leave your email address here and i'll send it to you.
late.

[email protected] Thanks man..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts