Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the AEM box and uploaded the start up map. AS the car idled, i looked at the engine bay and noticed that the compressor wasn't rotating! i didn't want to rev up the engine as it's not tuned yet, but i checked for exhaust leaks and oil line to the turbo, and everything was fine. i bought the turbo used with 4000 miles on it, it rotates very easily and there's no bad sound from the bearing, no shaft play! any idea what's going on here? I was supposed to tow the car to a tuner, but now i cant till i figure out this problem......

· Boost4fun
1,931 Posts
It could be that the wheel isn´t turning at idle when cold. I have seen this with mine (T61 DBB) also.
If you rev it up a bit to 1.5 or 2k rpm is it still not turning? THEN I would make worries.
Try it out and let us know..

· Registered
352 Posts
If its not turning, something is very wrong... You can blow into a GT35R and get it to spin. I would take the turbo out, pull the housings off, and inspect the center cartridge. If your center cartridge is frozen a new one will cost you about $750 bucks!! I know, it happened to me. Mine was f'd up from having too much oil pressure at turbo. I ended up having to put an oil restricter in line to prevent oil seeping past the seals. This was also on an STi. Supras are totally different. Hope that helps.

· Registered
445 Posts
If its not turning, something is very wrong... You can blow into a GT35R and get it to spin. I would take the turbo out, pull the housings off, and inspect the center cartridge. If your center cartridge is frozen a new one will cost you about $750 bucks!! I know, it happened to me. Mine was f'd up from having too much oil pressure at turbo. I ended up having to put an oil restricter in line to prevent oil seeping past the seals. This was also on an STi. Supras are totally different. Hope that helps.
Wow same thing happened to my STI with a 30R

· Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The turbo is real easy to spin by hand and it keeps on spinning for a while! I cant rev the engine as it's still on the startup map. my LC1 isnt even working so i cant tune the POS, unless somebody can email me an 880 fuel map or anything that i can scale up or down. I was supposed to get the car towed to a tuner today, but now i'm afraid i have other issues that i need to take care of before i go to a tuner.

· Pays Cash, No Questions
4,704 Posts
There's alot of threads on this. Oil pressure, oil feed size, oil return size, If the housing is clocked straight up and down, there's alot of factors that can play into this.
This man speaks the truth. Get back to us with some more information.

· Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i took out the oil feed line and it shot up with force, oil feed line is 4 AN, oil return is 10 AN as i remember. the turbo is not clocked exactly perpendicular to the ground, due to fitment issues it had to be 10 degrees off, so it's almost vertical! let me know if you need more info, thnx guys for your attempt to help.

· The "Tactileneck"
1,418 Posts
i took out the oil feed line and it shot up with force, oil feed line is 4 AN, oil return is 10 AN as i remember. the turbo is not clocked exactly perpendicular to the ground, due to fitment issues it had to be 10 degrees off, so it's almost vertical! let me know if you need more info, thnx guys for your attempt to help.
Is the fitting out of the return straight down? Positive you don't have any exhaust leaks?

Check this thread for reference:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529824&highlight=turbo+spinning+idle

· Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the fitting out of the return straight down? Positive you don't have any exhaust leaks?

Check this thread for reference:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529824&highlight=turbo+spinning+idle
the return line isn't straight down due to fitment, i have 2 70 degree bends, one to go around the runner and another to put it back straight down. Right now i'm redoing the return to get a "straighter" angle, but only because i'm anal like that, i highly doubt it's restricting the flow, i have a line that has a diameter of at least 10mm! i'm going to focus on the wastegate tomorrow and recheck functionality. By the way, i'm not sure if i have a restrictor, but i have a fitting from the feed line to the turbo, and it has a diameter of 3mm which is smaller that the feed line.

· G-14 Classified
2,076 Posts
you just don't have enough exhaust gas flow to spin the turbo at idle when cold.(on the current tune)

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
if it`s not a real 35r and just some mismatched turbo it may not be all that efficent and not spin at idle my k26 did not spin at all on my 1jz. well one of them did but the other was too worn and old and didn`t but they did spin free enough when i turned them by hand.

· From the land down under
5,631 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day as I have suspected mine possibly doesnt spin at idle either, it goes quite rich (13.5:1) but AFR's are normal at all other points.

The turbo seems to boost fine too.

Im probably misguided here but I figured that even with exhaust gas flowing over the unmoving turbine at idle, the temps would still be alot lower than under boost conditions.

Is there any damage likely if it wasnt to spin at idle?

· G-14 Classified
2,076 Posts
Ummmm...Actually it's probably the exact opposite of this, and I highly doubt his "tune" is what's causing it not to spin at idle...:1poke: It's probably those 2 70* bends that he has in his return line.
bro, if that's the case, the turbo would be over-flowing with oil...think before you speak!

I was thinking about this the other day as I have suspected mine possibly doesnt spin at idle either, it goes quite rich (13.5:1) but AFR's are normal at all other points.

The turbo seems to boost fine too.

Im probably misguided here but I figured that even with exhaust gas flowing over the unmoving turbine at idle, the temps would still be alot lower than under boost conditions.

Is there any damage likely if it wasnt to spin at idle?
no, the turbo will NOT get damaged from not spining.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.