Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we go again.

Around a year ago I converted my aristo to single turbo, still running stock injectors and ECU. Decided to use my AEM UEGO as a narrowband sim. Wideband was dead when I finished the car, So I got a new one and everythibg was running as it should. Took it on a 1700 mile roadtrip, no problems.

A while later I tried installing an ECU Master DET 3 piggyback (only feeding the maf signal wire and crank signal wire through it). Car was running lean (afr gauge showing - - -), was sputtering, but when I got it above 3k rpm (open loop) it ran fine and the afrs were perfect. Removed the piggyback, same thing. Tested for continuity on different sensors, exhaust leaks, boost leaks (maf sits right infront of the throttle body), tried different ecu, maf, tps, new plugs, nothing helped. suddenly after I let it sit for a while, it was running great again.

Around 2 weeks ago I tried mounting the piggyback again thinking something else caused the problem, same thing happens. Tried some things, nothing fixed it, so I got a new wideband (didnt try a different one before as the one I had only had around 4k miles on it), problem solved... well, for 3 days.

Car was running fine, but today out of nowhere same thing starts happening again. lean while cruising, sputtering on low speed accelersrion attempts, but fine above 3k rpm. Then suddenly it started running fine again, but after around 10 minutes same thing happens. then again, a couple minutes pass by and the car runs good.

No idea what this could be.. any ideas?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Why a "ECU Master DET 3" and not a tried and true Apexi Super SAFC?

Got to either be something with the wiring you messed with as those are some important wires, or maybe the ECU has some issues with leaking caps.

Al

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why a "ECU Master DET 3" and not a tried and true Apexi Super SAFC?

Got to either be something with the wiring you messed with as those are some important wires, or maybe the ECU has some issues with leaking caps.

Al
Thanks Al.

Chose it since its newer, easily aviable where I live, more functionality and I know a guy in sweden with pretty much identical setup to what I have, running a det 3, so thought i’d go for that instead of the Safc / emanage i was also looking into.

opened up the ecu to check, and there was atleast norhing visibly wrong + that I tried a different one that was known to work.

Thought it might be the crank signal wire yes, but would it be working so intermitently? i mean I soldered them back together as they were «oem» after the first failed piggyback installation attempt, and tho that didnt make the car work at first, when I got the car working, it drove fine for a month between the two attempts. Now it drove fine for a couple days too with no problems before this intermittent sputtering started happening again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are you sure the open loop switch over is happening at 3k? It should not be RPM based only, right?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had issues at 4500+ rpm, sputtering it was my coils. I got some at Rock Auto and my issues are gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts