Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey

I got a problem. I have a weird ticking noise coming from engine. Now it's not the injectors, it's different. The noise in best heard with the hood closed from the passenger side wheel well. And also with the hood open right on top of the engine, around cylinder 3 and 4.
It also best heard when the engine at idle, the lower the rpm the more you can hear it. Mostly cause the other engine noises drown it out at higher rpm...
The noise also speeds up with the engine rpm.
Now when i use the stethoscope on the engine I CANNOT hear the same click anywhere (ie head, injectors, valve covers) other then the exhaust manifold shield. When i put the stethoscope on the shield i can clearly hear it.
Now i checked the exhaust manifold and I'm not getting exhaust leaks. Or at least i'm not getting any charring marks you would get with a leak....
I took off the valve covers and checked clearances on the cams and they are all within spec so I'm kinda stuck right now as to what it can be.....The lobes are kinda worn unevenly on the top of the lobe so i dunno if that has anything to do with it...

Oh yeah, the engine is rebuild and has only about 7K km on it. The head had a 3 angle valve, and the cam clearances were reset.

One more thing, just to give an idea of how it sounds right now, it sounds like a diesel engine....

help?

Thanks

Andriy

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
pull each spark plug wire one at a time until the noise goes away, this way you can narrow it down to a specific cylinder.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NJsupraA70 said:
pull each spark plug wire one at a time until the noise goes away, this way you can narrow it down to a specific cylinder.

I dont c how that would help....care to expand on that?
I know that's a good way to determine for rod knock but it's definatelly not that...
It sounds like a top end problem but i just cant pinpoint it....

Andriy

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Trowa said:
I dont c how that would help....care to expand on that?
I know that's a good way to determine for rod knock but it's definatelly not that...
It sounds like a top end problem but i just cant pinpoint it....

Andriy

hehe, in many cases rod knock can sound like a "top end problem" to a novice who may not exactly know what rod knock is. Im not trying to insult your intelligence in any way, Im only giving you a simple test to use. Regardless, if you say you cant "pinpoint" your problem, pulling each plug wire will help accomplish just that. You will be "narrowing"(pinpointing) your problem to a specific cylinder(s).

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
If it sounds like a diesel than you have a serious problem. Sticking valve perhaps??

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Recheck your exhaust manifold gasket for leaks. Mine was leaking and sounded like you mention, but without the charring marks such as you describe. Everything "looked" good, but in fact was leaking pretty badly. I have since replaced the gasket and all is well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts