Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine makes a slurping noise when it's cold. I thought it could be due to low oil, but my oil level is actually over the F mark. Doesn't leak any oil, besides maybe down the valve stems. Oil pressure gauge shows 5 at idle, 20 at 3k rpms and 40-50 at higher rpms. Initial startup the oil pressure is around 20 though.

I even thought it was a mild case of rod knock for a while, but it doesn't sound like my old rod knock 7mge. It's a random slurping noise (like when you drink out of a straw and there isn't much soda).

Only happens when the engine is starting up or cold though. Once it's warmed up, the noise disappears.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
air bubbles in the cooling system?

·
Registered
375 Posts
maybe its because you have too much oil. if you have too much oil the crank might be hitting the oil and will make the oil foam which will quickly ruin your enginedue to lack of lubrication, and cauzes oil to brreak down faster.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nose-gobblin said:
maybe its because you have too much oil. if you have too much oil the crank might be hitting the oil and will make the oil foam which will quickly ruin your enginedue to lack of lubrication, and cauzes oil to brreak down faster.
Crap... I'm going to drain a little bit it now.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Dr Jones said you you have to put close to like 7 or 8 quarts of oil before it starts to do that.
everyone runs 1/2-1 qt. over the F anyway. i have 5 1/2 in my car now.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoolme said:
Dr Jones said you you have to put close to like 7 or 8 quarts of oil before it starts to do that.
everyone runs 1/2-1 qt. over the F anyway. i have 5 1/2 in my car now.
I have about ~5.5 quarts in there.

And I don't think it's air bubbles in the coolant. It sounds a lot like it is coming out of the engine, but the sound only varies slightly with engine speed.

I just listened to it again and it sounds kinda like the valves. It's a ticking noise.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
could the the lifters or the injectors.
my engine clicks contantly. i think when i got a valve job he didnt set the clearances correctly.

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
You can hear it from the inside of the car? sounds like slurping on a near empty coke through a straw? Sounds like air in the coolant, or maybe an air leak in the heater core or something. Mine does it too, I haven't figured it out yet, but I will, I haven't really messed with it, but I don't drive it that much so yea. lol

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoolme said:
could the the lifters or the injectors.
my engine clicks contantly. i think when i got a valve job he didnt set the clearances correctly.
Now that you mentioned it, it is more of a clicking sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts