ok,
it happened again, the second time.
I ran the car hard for a bit,
and when I came to a stop, the car would just sputter
tach was reading like 100-200 rpm
engine was still on and never died.
but when I press the gas, nothing would happen
didn't affect rpms at all
it just stayed at this real low sputtering idle.
I turned it off and wasn;t able to restart it
had to wait like 5 mins before I was able to restart it again

Did I flood the engine?
Or is there another cause? :scratch:

·
Registered
82 Posts
hey, i noticed i let my car idle for a while and the idle went up by itself aswell. then i leaned on the passenger fender.. and it turned off. It looked to me like my IC pipe was resting on a plug that was attached to the fender wall that looked like it ran to the distribuator cap.. Maybe power in? and i caused it to turn off... ah who know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been told idle is a tough thing to tune... i use map ecu and plugs gapped to .028 and i also have the occational die when coming to a stop, I'm wondering if dist cap and rotor and maybe the HKS can help out a bit with our problems, maybe even a better ALT, by providing a better cleaner spark...For me the Idle is a little sputtery (like its missing from time to time) but under normal driving and WOT things smooth out. I'm hoping to take the car to get it tuned and get the bugs worked out to make maint. a bit easier to pinpoint once something goofy happens. And with the Map, and AEM also, i believe you get to keep the files so you can make adjustments when things get fishy and once you fix the problem you will still have your "tuned" MAP file.

I think the best fix must be to have your car dyno tuned through the entire rpm range and throttle positions.

Mike

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
neostreamsupra said:
kind of hard to tell if you dont post your mods. When you started it again after 5 min did it start fine?

Toyamoto Teo4 with 440 injectors, V8MAF, MSD BMT6, AVCR, ACF2, Walbro 255, 1.5mm HG, FMIC

yeap after 5 mins the car started fine :scratch:

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
toyotasupra916 said:
had the same thing with my car. would the car yes idel up out of no where when ur sitting there??
this would only happen if I ran the car hard and then come to a stop. Then it would just sputter, like it was flooded

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
kmn5 said:
this would only happen if I ran the car hard and then come to a stop. Then it would just sputter, like it was flooded
when my car was doing that i took it to toyota and they change the tps and it all went away. part cost 300. is the check engine light on??

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh forgot to mention I have a wideband O2,
it's running like 10.5 under hard accel and 14 cruising.

hmmmm tps.....

yeah my engine light is on, but last I check I dind't have a TPS error
I know they are on for the factory O2's cause I don't have a cat
(haven't gotten around to wiring in the wideband's narrowband output to the ecu, been waiting for it to get warmer)
I'll recheck the codes this weekend

thanks guys

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well it's happened again over the weekend
and the car smells of gasoline, and anyone following me see alot of black smoke
so I dialed back fuel quite a bit, now cruising reads 15.5-16.5afr
and hard runs only dip down to 11 afr at most 10.5 at the 4,300 rpm mark, still need to lean that one section a bit
(prolly still need to lower my AFC2 tuning points so I have more points on the lower band and just leave 5000-7000rpm as 2 points.... dunno if that made any sense :rolleyes: )
or play with my low/high crossover ratios
currently it's set to 73/74

anways the problem is gone for now
wonder if my wideband reads too lean??

egt's haven't gone over 700C
and the car pulls strong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts