Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
today, a so called "mechanic" told me that from where my car sat for so long(7-9 months) that even if i fixed the head and put my mhg on that the car would not run for more than a few hours due to seals and other misc. gaskets drying out and cracking and such, is this true? please help, i dont want to do all that work let alone sink all that money into that motor if this is going to happen
but im also thinking of just buying a jdm motor for a thousand and drive it while im saving money for the mhg, should i just go ahead and get the jdm motor or what?:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
depends on what conditions the car sat in if the motor was together and sitting or apart and sitting.. more info...

was it in open weather? under a cover garaged?

Bill

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the hood hadnt been popped till i got the car, the guy sold me the car telling me there was only a few hoses burnt and it should start and drive but i got the car for really cheap and didnt care

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Replace all of the seals that you can if you want that motor running well.

I was going to say "or just get the jdm ordered". BUT ... even if you got the jdm ... I would replace all of those seals too if you can.

JMO. 7-9months is a long time to sit. It needs a complete tune and all fluids need to be changed.

hth. Best regards.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
or buying a new one from street imports.com they sound like they have a good warranty and shit, any one have a motor from there or delt with them before?

·
Registered
311 Posts
a used JDM turbo engine only ost 1000 Canadians here in Canada... anyways I guess it includes shipping too...

actually it's hard to find MINT condition JDM Supra engine...
if I were you, I will do a complete rebuild, it might cost abit more, but trust me, it saves you int he long run... because basically you will keep paying alot of extra labours to take the parts off and put them back on to access the engine... why not do everything together at once and then make yourself worry free to the rest..

just my .02 though.. good luck man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts