Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was the first night I pushed my car through some corners. Since I've mainly drag raced the car it was never really setup for corners. I recently installed new wheels and tires and wanted to play around. The wheels measure 18x8 and 18x9.5 with 235-40-18's front and 275-35-18's rear. The suspension is completely stock. The offset for the front wheels in +40mm. The tires are Falken RT-615's.

So, with all the said, I pushed the car pretty hard through some corners late this evening. I'm surprised how well the stock suspension works even though it feels a bit soft. As I was rouding a tight exit ramp in 3rd gear turning right I hear a 'scuff' 'scuff' while hard in the corner and as the road went up and down. As the body was rolled heavily towards the left and as I went over some level changes you could feel the body move and the noise was heard. It sounded like the tire was hitting the inner fender cover.

Are there any known bottoming out issues with stock suspension Supra's while doing hard cornering?

Thanks
Matt

· 2JZ yes shit
1,208 Posts
I had the exact same thing the first few times out at a track event.
Look at how your ABS box at the passenger side is bolted to the engine bay. There is a bolt that goes straight down. It is long enough that it sticks through the metal and down into the fenderwell. My tire would be scraping against this bolt every time literally tearing into the rubber.

I took it out and grinded the shit out of it until it stopped coming through the fenderwell. Looks like the problem is now fixed.

Also check to make sure you are not scraping the front fender lip. Check for signs of paint scuff. If you are, raise the car slightly until it stops.

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The suspension is completely stock so if the car came with bump stops, they are still there.

My problem exists when going around a corner to the right. So, the drivers side of the suspension was compressed. I don't think the ABS bolts would be suspect as the passenger side of the suspension was extended. Also, I can't change ride height as the suspension is 100% factory. I'll take a look for obvious scraping and report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.