Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2JZ NA-T
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, mayb its not that bad, but, i was just doing a few highway pulls with my cuzing in his 94tt bpu, it was a few quick ones, on the way back, the highway was empty up ahead so i got on the gas from 3rd gear on highboost (around 16psi)and went through 5th, in 5th gear i toped my car, i let the needle JUST high the limiter and got onthe break right away, it was time to get off on the off ramp anyways, this is when the weird thing happend,i didnt down shift or anything, just breaked and left the car in5th gear, i looked back and i saw lil sparks flyin out of my exhaust, they looked like they kind of bounced of the road too when they hit, it wasnt a lot, but maybe 7-10 that i saw just sort of fly up or hit the pavement. A couple of mins later,(like 2 mins) i was turnin into the parking lot and downshifted, my cuzin said he saw the sparks come out again like i ran over a cigarett, and some smoke as well, after that there was no smoke, car ran fine, ect, wat i was wonderin is where did the sparks come from? didnt see a flame, might have been one...any one know if i should worry?

·
TT This
917 Posts
:sadance: Time for a compression test

I did see a vid once where the SUP was doing a pull and had a sparky looking backfire. I questioned the owner and he said it was raw fuel drops being spit out on fire. Looked exactly like sparks to me... perhaps you're just "alittle" rich?

·
2JZ NA-T
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
little? are you crazy? im NA-t with SAFCII and 550cc injectors, im crazy rich, thats wat i thought itwas, just raw fuel particles, no need for a compression test, the car is pefectly fine, atleast enigne wise, i was just hopin it wasnt bits of my turbo flyin off :), i think im good..just wanted to makesure

·
Registered
538 Posts
It could be the packing from your muffler. It happened on my buddy's cars when they were bpu (years ago). Small sparks would fly out when doing highway pulls. BTW...the exhausts were about a year old.

-Corey

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Running rich will cause flames on decell, and some light show within the exit of the muffler... but shouldn't produce sparks. Sparks are hot metal pieces exiting at high speed....

Do you have your stock cats on still?

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Ravan17 said:
naw exhaust sounds alright now, it not the cats b/c i have no cats on it, if it is the packing is that anything i should b worried about? my exhuast isnt nearly a year old but its getting there pretty soon, i have the apex'i GT-Spec

If exhaust shows no clulprit...I've seen chewed fins produce the same result with tiny aluminum dust :eek:

·
!black
4,622 Posts
The backfires and flames are to be expected, but not sparks really. Try this -- put a piece of cardboard up near the exhaust exit (not right on it...don't want to set it on fire hehe), and white paper under it so you can see contrasts. Then start and rev for a sec to produce the issue. Check the cardboard for deposits of metal, which should have imbeded themselves (check the ground also).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts