Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm interested in buying this jdm mk4 supra, but when I checked the vin, it's swapped. It has a mk3 vin. Is there any way i could identify its history, either the mk3 or this mk4?
IMG-20201109-WA0031.jpg

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ummm... How the hell that happened? Looks and sounds fishy to me.

Rishi

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
360 Posts
Stay away from it. Lol!
Vin is located more places on the vehicle than this plate only.
Find the others and see if they swapped / erased those also.
Likely someone was commiting some kind of insurance fraud or trying to erase the history of whatever happened with the MKIV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stay away from it. Lol!
Likely someone was commiting some kind of insurance fraud or trying to erase the history of whatever happened with the MKIV.
Where can I find the other locations, i checked the firewall, it has the mk3 frame number. This is a jdm import, and up to my knowledge, i don't know another location for the vin other the plate and firewall. If i can't identify this mk4, is it possible to find any history on the mk3. Is it possible to relate both cars? I know it's suspicious, but it's selling for a steal. I just wanna know if i clear myself legally. The registration says it's a 1992 toyota supra, implying that it wad registered and imported as a mk3.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Where can I find the other locations, i checked the firewall, it has the mk3 frame number. This is a jdm import, and up to my knowledge, i don't know another location for the vin other the plate and firewall. If i can't identify this mk4, is it possible to find any history on the mk3. Is it possible to relate both cars? I know it's suspicious, but it's selling for a steal. I just wanna know if i clear myself legally. The registration says it's a 1992 toyota supra, implying that it wad registered and imported as a mk3.
Take a picture of the number on the firewall.

Very interested in what that looks like

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Stay away from it. Lol!
My 91 freaks me out because this plate is missing and I just have the door jamb sticker.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
360 Posts
If it's selling for a steal... Ding ding.
There is your clue, stay away.

VIN's are usually at the base of the windshield, on the firewall, in the door jamb or edge of door, sometimes a frame stamp. Maybe other places.
If any of the other locations look tampered with it's fraudulent.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd like to see more pics. There isn't usually value in doing this. More or less the wrong picture is embedded in what was sent to you

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to see more pics. There isn't usually value in doing this. More or less the wrong picture is embedded
I'll go and look at the car again tonight, and I'll take more pictures, but i only saw the firewall stamp (which has a mk3 frame no.) and this plate, no stickers anywhere, and no vin under the windshield (it's jdm, that's why) . I'll post more pictures, and i hope someone can help me figure out the history of both the mk4 and the mk3. I cannot pull the trigger until I figure this out.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
The registration says it's a 1992 toyota supra, implying that it wad registered and imported as a mk3.
Everything you've shown so far indicates that this car is a Mk3. Stupid question, but are you sure it's a MkIV?

·
"Ze Germans"
462 Posts
I have heard of certain cases where stolen MKIVs have been assigned clean MKIII VINs to clear off vehicle history because VINs from stolen cars can be tracked down via INTERPOL.

Not joking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anybody think they can get Supra-Registry involved? So sexy of a car, seems not even fair for that to happen. Firewall plate is all i can think of, but if THAT vin tag is on THAT car, I can't see how you decide to pull the trigger. It could get snatched from you at any moment if there is fraud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anybody think they can get Supra-Registry involved? So sexy of a car, seems not even fair for that to happen. Firewall plate is all i can think of, but if THAT vin tag is on THAT car, I can't see how you decide to pull the trigger. It could get snatched from you at any moment if there is fraud.

I contacted them. I tried registering it as "my car" cuz i was soooo close to buying it, until i noticed the vin issue. Owner said it was like this when he bought it from the owner before him, who imported it. He said it was fine its registered as a mk3, but i cannot be sure.
Screenshot_20201117-200920_Gmail.jpg

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
360 Posts
That's sketchy as hell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somebody might have tried to get around the 25yr rule. This is the worst kind of fishy

Man, if only i can be 100 percent sure that I'm legally fine, i would pay with no hesitation. He's asking around 35kusd, it's a twin turbo automatic converted to a 5 speed r154, then he converted it to a t56 6 speed last week. It's pushing 560whp, had a blast test driving it. I want this car, I've fallen in love, but i don't want it to be snatched away and crushed.

·
Blue Thunder
3,552 Posts
I call BS !!! Show us this plate on THAT MKIV !!!! IDK abt JDM MKIVs but the US ones have the VIN on every body part. The dash, fenders, hood, doors, hatch, etc.

Don't buy a sketch car. The REAL owner may find it AND YOU !!!!

B

1 - 20 of 42 Posts