Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
1,761 Posts
Also, please post the firewall vin picture.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The location of this "wrong" vin tag looks accurate. We have them on the flat section of the fender, MKIIIs are on the firewall behind the brake booster on RHD. More pictures aren't going to solidify a new location for this tag, only the opportunity to cross-reference.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Everything you've shown so far indicates that this car is a Mk3. Stupid question, but are you sure it's a MkIV?
Does this look like a mk3? 😂 I know my cars dude.
Show us this plate on THAT MKIV !!!!
You understand why I had to ask, right? Didn't know if you were just forwarding pictures from the seller (which might have been from another car), or if you took the picture yourself. Plus you've only been here for 7 minutes, so we never know who might pop up to troll us.

There have been several requests for the kind of picture that $9ktt asked for in this thread already.

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
368 Posts
I agree with above. It is either a stolen car or someone was trying to do something fishy. I would not touch that car. Most states require a VIN inspection for registering an out of state/country car. If your inspector looks at it he is immediately going to flag it. What states are you trying to register in? Where is it currently registered? What is the name of the seller?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you in the United states or in the Middle East? The license plates indicate such.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dude, the car has been re-birthed!!.... Toyota does not install A70 compliance plates in mkiv JZA80 bodies.

FFS!! walk away as others have stated. Its actually great that you did a vin check as most would of fallen in love with how it drives and just purchase on emotion. Don;t be that fool.

Save more pennies for the right car with matching vins........

·
From the land down under
4,333 Posts
For clarification, JDM cars do not have the vin numbers on all of the body panels, we just have the engine bay tag, and the firewall chassis number.

Either way, I wouldnt touch this car with a 10ft barge pole, as it just screams dodgy to me.

Also, 560whp out of the stock twins is quite the number...

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
First, as has been implied, JDM Supras do not have VIN tags like USDM Supras (as well as Canadian Supras; found this out when I was looking into one). There were 20 1992 MKIV Supras that were used to validate production/manufacturing processes. My understanding is those cars were crushed.

The very remote possibility that this could be one of those cars is the only somewhat reasonable explanation I can conjure up as to what this car is truly about.

Ken.

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
Registered
161 Posts
First, as has been implied, JDM Supras do not have VIN tags like USDM Supras (as well as Canadian Supras; found this out when I was looking into one). There were 20 1992 MKIV Supras that were used to validate production/manufacturing processes. My understanding is those cars were crushed.

The very remote possibility that this could be one of those cars is the only somewhat reasonable explanation I can conjure up as to what this car is truly about.

Ken.
Ken, they would still be a JZA80, correct?
That rare of a car would be a 1992 JZA80, not a JZA70 MKIV.
I am sure all of us want to walk up and see this one in person. We aren't going to get enough validation from OP to satisfy us that there is a "slim chance" it is a legitimate tag.
He should move on, but it is easy to get caught up in a deal to start hoping for a miracle.

·
From the land down under
4,333 Posts
The tag on this car was from a MA70, and it was car 161XXX off the rank.

Even the rivets look suspect to me, not to mention the edges of the tag being bent up either side of the rivets.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Ken, they would still be a JZA80, correct?
That rare of a car would be a 1992 JZA80, not a JZA70 MKIV.

You are correct. Those cars were JZA80s.

Ken.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I agree with above. It is either a stolen car or someone was trying to do something fishy. I would not touch that car. Most states require a VIN inspection for registering an out of state/country car. If your inspector looks at it he is immediately going to flag it. What states are you trying to register in? Where is it currently registered? What is the name of the seller?
I'm not in the states, the car is registered in Saudi Arabia, as a mk3. I already decided to pass on this car, as you guys said, too fishy and suspicious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Ken.
Well, i cannot hope for this to be true, cuz the frame no. starts with MA70 not JZA80. But let's say that this is indeed a 1992 mk4 pre production prototype, how can i be sure to verify that? I already passsed on the deal. But I'm still curious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
For clarification, JDM cars do not have the vin numbers on all of the body panels, we just have the engine bay tag, and the firewall chassis number.

Either way, I wouldnt touch this car with a 10ft barge pole, as it just screams dodgy to me.

Also, 560whp out of the stock twins is quite the number...
No it has a precision 6466 single turbo setup. It is not stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Are you in the United states or in the Middle East? The license plates indicate such.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes I'm in saudi arabia, and the car is registered here. Weird thing is that the registration is actually valid, i checked with the Moroor (DMV in saudi arabia) but i cannot be so sure, because bribery here is common. I'll just pass on this car and wait for the right one.

·
Super Moderator
10,281 Posts
Well, i cannot hope for this to be true, cuz the frame no. starts with MA70 not JZA80. But let's say that this is indeed a 1992 mk4 pre production prototype, how can i be sure to verify that? I already passsed on the deal. But I'm still curious.
There is no way this could be true. If you had a 1992 JZA80, it would be listed as a JZA80 and the chassis number would be between 0001010 and 0001030. This is highly documented at this point. Chassis no 001030 was the first one produced in January of 1993.

The data plate MA70L shows we KNOW it's from a 7M powered A70 (MK3) chassis with a Sport Roof (aka Targa, indicated by the L) The BJPVFV indicates it's an A70 (MK3 Supra) made in LHD for the Gulf market with a 7M-GE engine, A340E auto transmission, and G295 4.10:1 4-pinion LSD differential. This configuration was made from 1988 to 1992 or so. Guessing by the high production number I expect it's a 91 or 92.

Bottom line, this VIN plate was taken from a MK3 (likely in a Junkyard somewhere in the GCC) to conceal the origin and history of this JZA80.
Sadly, having spoken to some Supra guys in KU and the UAE, this sort of thing is a known risk with buying desirable imported cars in the region.

·
Old Fart Supra Lover
133 Posts
Yes I'm in saudi arabia, and the car is registered here. Weird thing is that the registration is actually valid, i checked with the Moroor (DMV in saudi arabia) but i cannot be so sure, because bribery here is common. I'll just pass on this car and wait for the right one.
Sadiqqi I am glad to hear you passed. The Moroor is not to be trusted, as I am sure you know. If there is any local history on this car, the boys at Ekanoo in Bahrain will know about it. As Wreckless said, this is from a GCC MA70, specifically one built in March of 1992. Certainly not matching the car you desire. Kul altawfiq lak in your search for your dream car

21 - 40 of 42 Posts