Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second hatch cable ( the one going from the small white cable connection box through the sheet metal and to the hatch latch) as been stretched over the years and is to long to open my hacth. Has anyone ever tried cutting the cable shorter and then welding the little ball back on? Do you think the cable is to small to weld? Will it melt!!? Please give me any ideas or opinions. (dealer can only get whole new set for $40 bucks--I'm tight on cash right now)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
if the ball ist still atached on the end, try remove the end from the release lever, and pulling it taut so there is no slack while the latch assembly lever is at full rest... then try to take some needle nose pliers and wrap the end of the cable around the end of the release, or in one side and thru the otherside. thats how i had to do mine on my RX7 before. its like theres 2 holes for 2 cable ends. im assuming one for the key release and one for the interior release... my key doesnt work in the trunk though. so all i have is the remote hatch release.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Another idea.... you could get a cable stop. They use them alot in radio controlled air planes. Theylook like a steel or alum round small doughnut, with a set screw in one side. Slide the cable through the doughnut, and tighten set screw.

S

·
0 Posts
I think it is the actuating lever by the seat that bends, and not the cable stretching. Bend the lever where it attaches to the cable back into original shape and it should be good.

Your cable is probably seizing up by now, so it would be good if you can lubricate it.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yea, the lever is easy to bend, its very possible that the slack is coming from a hatch release lever gettin bent outa shape.

MCD has a very good idea, this would work VERY well, plus adjustability as the cable continues to stretch.

oh, and the cracka-ass-Cracka that had the car before me, didnt replace the broken stock cable, he just pulled the carpet back and laid ANOTHER cable down down and strung it haphazardly... pisses me off, but i dunno...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts