Supra Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
If you guys aren't using @Piratetip for all your technical questions and build/rebuild needs, you're definitely missing out. Speaking from experience.

Ken.

Reactions: Piratetip

·
Registered
254 Posts
I purchased what turned out to be a bad 3.91 LSD on eBay and took the parts from that one and my old one to make one good one. I had to find new bearings from all over, since I was doing a complete rebuild. Instead of using a pinion gear crush sleeve, I went with a solid spacer with shims for fine adjustment of preload. It's physically a lot easier than trying to crush a sleeve into preload spec. The side gear clutch pack adjustment is accomplished using larger Toyota made shims when necessary. The center spring comes in 2 flavors. The thicker single spring on early cars and the thinner double springs on later cars. The oil I like to use is made by Castrol and it contains the friction modifier already 80W-90. To do a proper rebuilt requires many specialty tools like: a micrometer, dial indicator with a magnetic base, vernier caliper, inch pound torque wrench, companion flange holder, brass rod drift punch, a hydraulic press and some press tools. Harbor freight makes a nice transmission jack that works well with differentials. I got lucky in the past and found a set of pullers on eBay closed out by Northern Tool model 154252. It's no longer available but one of the pieces came in very handy to pull the pinion gear through the front pinion bearing. See photos. The rebuild procedure is detailed in the online manual. Check it out here. A tip for torquing the ring gear bolts is to install one of the side shafts and put lug nuts on then use a crowbar as a brace for torquing the ring gear bolts. A welded rear differential is a track only option. You wouldn't want to drive it on the street because it would eat up your tires turning corners. Good luck with your project.

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Red Gas

Liquid Fluid Mouthwash Paint Gas

Musical instrument Tool Bumper Telephony Automotive lighting

Cylinder Material property Red Magenta Auto part

Wood Rectangle Composite material Flooring Hardwood

Electrical wiring Gas Audio equipment Electronic device Auto part

·
Registered
98 Posts
You will pay the price in worn tires if you don't pay the price to have a proper diff on a street driven vehicle. If you trailer this thing to the drag strip and race it in a straight line only, then fine..... otherwise it will make your drivability crap and it will chew up your tires in the process.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts