Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 2 days after having my killer setup back... I'm sure well over 450 FTTQ with the exhaust 2.5" universal cat on. I've gone and broke it...... again... Damn these R154's just can't hold up with me...

Anyone know shops that can bulid the thrust washer stronger and something we can do to get better syncros?

I was searching around seems that the domestic guys like the r154's and many others

http://www.hotrodders.com/t10418.html
http://www.classicconversions.co.uk/r154.htm
http://www.westnet.com/~mfrank/FiveSpeeds.html

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just the cut down sogi sifter.. lol

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Have you taken one apart to see what you are breaking?

I was going to talk to my machinist about the thrust washer. Syncros aren't a problem AFAIK.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
We need to subcontract a metal fabricator to make a number of stronger thrust washers that we can install into our transmissions, and maybe have SupraSport or MVP stock them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i been breaking them too. i also have the SOGI short shifter mod done. but then in my case it's from launching hard with sticky tires...

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Let me guess, new turbo, with the small exhaust AR = quick spool, and with wide tires, or sticky ones, your breaking gears and stuff in your trans?
About the only way to resolve that is a performance automatic.
Or some custom gears and other parts for your R154. (Would be nice if someone would design a rebuild kit for these transmissions, mine is starting to clank quite a bit, and I'm being careful with it at the track, but on the street, traction varies, and going from no traction to traction surfaces, or over bumps really puts some strain on the trans and rear axel.
I think wheel hop, and the vibration it causes down your driveline also is a factor in failing transmissions.
Better strut rods (radius rod or whatever you want to call it.) in the rear like those SS or CFX are selling could be the answer. (Or beefed up stockers with better bushings.)
Keep us up to date if you find out more. Those Jeep transmissions use the same gears? If that's the case, can't we use some of the widely used Jeep upgrades in our R154's?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
This is the first Adjuster post I've seen where you're not recommending thermo barrier coatings on everything from your food to your shift knob! Kudos on breaking the habit, Adjuster. :)

kidding, the jeep upgrade sounds good. Might also be a good source for a good gearset.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
drjonez said:
speed shifting.

zaz- learn to use the clutch.
:agreed:

I've yet to break one, and I've tried. I'm curious to know exactly what the people who are destroying the things are doing to them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
do the getrags break like the r154? maybe we could glean from their technology and find out what not to do? :dunno:

forgive my ignorance, but can someone give me some info on what a thrust washer is and synchros and all that other shit. i know engines fairly well, but don't know driveline stuff.

thanks,
_dan

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Thermactor said:
only when you don't use the $250-fill V160 fluid :lol:
$250/fill? It's $50 a can from Toyota, and you need two.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Simba said:
$250/fill? It's $50 a can from Toyota, and you need two.
I was exaggerating. I heard that you can also use the far cheaper Royal Purple Synchromax in it, though I am not sure of how sound it is in this picky transmission.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
greensupra_87 said:
holy crap
I use motormaster it's like $20 canadian for 2L :p
Royal Purple GearMAX here. Added it yesterday after flushing it, will make new thread after it is allowed to get in effect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts