Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well well well it looks as if ive ran into a little problem..
I took my 1j out for its first test drive( went like a 1/2 mile) tryed to boost and it would just crap out on me, it had no power but you could hear it spooling up fine..

So i get back to my driveway and let her idle a little, then i look back and a big ass white cloud of smoke is just ripping out my exhaust (like cheech and chong were stuck in there) I have a straight 3" DP back exhaust btw..

Im not sure what to think of this issue, because i just got it in..
Im going to trouble shoot this.. Maybe it will be a good thing..

New single a bad ass head mmmmmm, time to save up.. (maybe)..

Well im hopeing that its turbo seals, but im thinking its a bad headgasket..

BTW im running pure water in my rad. so the smoke if it was from coolant wouldnt smell like antifreeze.. Ya get it?

Josh

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well ive let it idle for a long time 15 min or so acouple of times and it was fine, it just started after i took it for its first run and put some load on the motor..

Im pretty sure its a headgasket because there is some white milky stuff on the inside of my oil cap..

Also wen i start the car gas just pours out of my exhaust, im just running just my 3 inch DP now and there is gas comming out of it wen i run her.., ive never heard of anything like that before????

Well im going to do a commpresion test soon and ill find out if its a bad HG..

The smoke is pouring out really bad...

Josh

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
turbo seals,that would be blue smoke.your oil still look clean.check your plugs,you should be able to tell if a cylinder is getting water in it(that plug will be clean,no carbon)you would probably have a skip when idling
keith

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the oil looks clean, but under the oil cap there is a white milky residue???

Also what would explain all of the gas leaking out?

Im doing a compression test asap!

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
good luck ranger,who did you get the motor from(just curious).i did the swap to avoid head gasket issues
keith

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mine use to do the same thing(white smoke from the tailpipe) but once it started going, it went away. I have a catch can now, and it doesnt smoke anymore. Would love to see the compression results, still have to do one too.

G

·
the milky white stuff, doesnt that come from oil and coolant mixing? but you dont have any coolant in your system, just water

i also didnt think the 1jz blew head gaskets to easily, must have overheated pretty bad if thats the case

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,253 Posts
oww.. milky under the oil cap... not sounding good... you a mk3 owner.. but a 1jz owner as well... please don't let us have our first swap case of BHG.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
NeverNZ said:
the milky white stuff, doesnt that come from oil and coolant mixing? but you dont have any coolant in your system, just water

i also didnt think the 1jz blew head gaskets to easily, must have overheated pretty bad if thats the case
I agree that it doesn't make sense if there is just water...but i would guess that when he did the swap, he didn't drain the whole block as well...therefore there is still coolant in the system...i think we are jumping to conclusions too fast. keep us upgraded.

Trev

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya i assume that the white milky stuff is from the excess coolant that was in my system..

I will let you guys know what the commpression results are..

Well back to the drawing board..

Does anybody know where to get a nice single turbo set up??? Midas well go all out..

I took of my DP and ran it, and gas just pours out my exhaust/mani??? WTF??

Josh

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
On my 7m I had a pte 550 injector get stuck open and dumped fuel.. It was white out the back..

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the compression results are in...

Im going from front to back, starting at the front of the car/engine back..

5.150 mmmmmmm.....

Well i found the culprit..

I just noticed that wen i started it up it will idle for a while like it should... Then after about 5 min of idle the #5 cyl coil pack stated to click and i could see a spark down by it, then the fule begins to pour out my exhaust....

So im thinking that since there is bad compression in cyl #5, the gas is not getting burnt up and it just gets flooded out in that cyl and fouls the plug(causing the clicking??) at the time because the cyl. is full of fuel.. So wen the fuel has no were to go it just dumps itself out of the exhaust.

The motor runs fine and revs out fine in nuetral, but wen i put a load on it it craps out a little ( feels like boost cut or something, but its not that obviously)

So im going to have to keep troubleshooting for now!!

If its a bad HG then i might just have to buy a new 1jz longblock..

Dont i have to pull the motor to do the HG??? Is there any machining involved with this motor?

One more question..

I have a voltmeter but dont know how to use it.. What settings do i set it to if i want to test the injectors? How do i go about testing them.

Josh

G

·
ranger2339 said:
Well the compression results are in...

Im going from front to back, starting at the front of the car/engine back..

5.150 mmmmmmm.....

Well i found the culprit..

I just noticed that wen i started it up it will idle for a while like it should... Then after about 5 min of idle the #5 cyl coil pack stated to click and i could see a spark down by it, then the fule begins to pour out my exhaust....

So im thinking that since there is bad compression in cyl #5, the gas is not getting burnt up and it just gets flooded out in that cyl and fouls the plug(causing the clicking??) at the time because the cyl. is full of fuel.. So wen the fuel has no were to go it just dumps itself out of the exhaust.

The motor runs fine and revs out fine in nuetral, but wen i put a load on it it craps out a little ( feels like boost cut or something, but its not that obviously)

So im going to have to keep troubleshooting for now!!

If its a bad HG then i might just have to buy a new 1jz longblock..

Dont i have to pull the motor to do the HG??? Is there any machining involved with this motor?

One more question..

I have a voltmeter but dont know how to use it.. What settings do i set it to if i want to test the injectors? How do i go about testing them.

Josh
might be the coil pack is cracked to it is grounding to the block, pull it out and check for scratches

also, on my 7m, my car would idle fine(for the most part), and would rev in neutral, but when put in gear it would buck really bad, and there would be no power. but i heard the turbo spooling and i can see on my boost guage i was getting boost. it did feel like a mini fuel cut. well i drove it for maybe a total of 30 miles trying to figure out what it was, then i finally gave up and brought it to my friends shop to check it out.

turns out i had fried the rings in 3 cylinders, oil was getting on the spark plugs and was causing the miss. pull your plugs and check for oil. if it is, you might need to do a rebuild, and might as well just get a 2j block then. pretty much after those 30 miles the car wouldnt idle at all and my compression had dropped by 10 psi each time a compression test was done. it got to the point where it would not idle at all, rpms would drop under 300rpm, and i would i have keep on the gas to keep the car from stalling.

this was, btw, why i am going 1jz(well that and this happened literally right after a BHG)

you are not getting spark for some reason, and there is low compression, i just hope its not what happened to my 7m.

also, does your car sound like a WRX when you boost? b/c thats what my car ended up sounding like

G

·
but damn, your other cylinders are damn near perfect, where did you get your engine from, and how many miles where on it?

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes the plugs are getting wet with gas and oil, but not to bad.

Im probably going to just get a new 1J longblock and rebuild my old one with a 2J block and allot of goodies, pimp ass head, big single and all of the other $pendy goodies( its like a 2 year plan)..:)

This is fuking as frusterating as it gets.. Luckly i have a JDM 3s. swaped MR2 that runs great.. It feeds my need for now..

Anyway.. Does anybody have any ideas before i take the head off???

I got my clip from Fairlady motors in Wash. from a guy named Doug..$2600 shipped.
He sorced somebody out that he knew was driving a complete JZA70 over in japan, he wanted to sell me the whole car but i didnt want the whole thing( big hassle to import, i think)

Anyway i know it ran really well wen it was in the car..

Wen i got the motor i put it on an engine stand, i took the oil pan off and let it sit like that for a couple months, because i had broke the pan and needed a new one (dont ask..)

Anyway i had let the engine sit on the stand upsidedown for a while ( month), i had it covered and everything..

What type of oil do you guys use??

Josh

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ya the clip had a smooth 100,000 KM on it and it came with the key..
Its a really really clean motor and didnt allot of oil and crap on it..

Well time for a new 1J block..

Josh

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i wouldn't run it anymore till you check the plugs and coil pack boots(part that goes over the plug).if that cylinder isn't firing,the un-burnt gas will cause hydraulic lock.if ther isn't oil on that plug than it probably isn't the rings,could be a bad valve.oil smells distinct when it gets gas mixed with it(bad rings).if you mix water with oil it will still turn milky white.
keith

·
Registered
923 Posts
You will be smoking like a diesel train if you let the engine sit upside down for a while. Man, that sucks man, he sold you a bad engine? I'd talk with him.

How long have you ran it since you put it in?

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i did a WET compression test on cyl #5 and it came back as 210.. So that tells me that its possibly bad rings on that cyl?? Going of of my 88 TSRM.

But i pulled the plugs and the #5 plug was dry. The spark issue was me not putting it back together correctly (the boot was a little bit off of it..

My engine is clean, everything else on it looks new, coil packs IC piping ect..

So its a bad HG, bad rings in CYL #5 or a bad valve???

Josh

1 - 20 of 33 Posts