Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
565rwhp Turbo Lexus
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been saving for 6 months .. didn't have much patience :)
Here is a link to the pictures that I have so far and the mods list:
http://www.turboforum.net/Supra

I will post a couple of pics here ... but I am sure most of you have seen a stock body white Supra before :) .. .scroll down for pics...

When I saw the car for sale on here, I really didn't think I could get the money together in time, but everything worked my way.... so I bought the HKS Twins car that casper had listed for sale.

The car ran pretty rough when I got it ... my first impression of the test drive was actually "I don't think I am going to buy this car" ... but then I decided to give it a shot. Seemed like an ignition problem, but the seller said it just needed tuned. Since I had some experience with the AEM, I figured I could probably swing it.

Brought it home on a Friday and was on the dyno by Sunday. First pass was 36Xhp @ 14psi (told you it ran rough) ... played with fuel & timing for awhile and power was decreasing, lol ... then after checking the plugs, we started looking at other things. Disconnecting the HKS DLI yielded a 50+hp gain ... so we played with fuel again and verified that the HKS DLI was dragging it down and we called it a day at like 417rwhp @ 14psi ... but a very very choppy graph.

Today, we fixed the ignition problem (thank you hau & batty200). I already ordered a new DLI and hau came over so we could test his out just to see if I ordered the right thing :) He didn't like how it was grounded, so we grounded to another location and hooked his up and it made the car run as smooth as silk :)

Good news because I had already ordered one, right ? We thru my DLI back in just in case it was a bad ground and SURE ENOUGH, smooth as silk! So next week I will be selling a brand new DLI and this problem was fixed by changing the ground location :)

Overall I am happy with the car so far. I am going to get back on the dyno hopefully next week for some pump gas fun ... and I also ordered a Derekdevises.com Methanol kit last Saturday, so then I will get to have more fun (however, I haven't received it yet and no e-mails returned by him either) .... but hopefully soon enough.

Regardless, I think it should make close to 450rwhp on the first 14psi pull and then I am hoping to be able to make 500-550rwhp on pump gas around 18-19psi. Methanol ... who knows ? ;)

·
11,217 Posts
Yea, I didn't think the HKS Twin Power could break. I guess if it does, the red led won't go on. So anyways, I guess yours isn't broken? The way I found my ground was, I took a voltmeter. I plugged one end to the +12 of the battery and the other to where I wanted to ground it. If it showed a signal, I guess I got a good ground.

-----------------

But then again, how's a bad ground causing you to lose hp? I thought if it wasn't grounded properly, it would just act as if the HKS isn't even there, not make it worse.

·
565rwhp Turbo Lexus
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the ground it was hooked up to still shows it is a ground, but it simply wasn't a good connection. We have it hooked up to an actual grounding point in the engine bay now.

I know the igniter was previously replaced and the coil packs look new and I put in new plugs ... I am curious how much money was previously wasted to fix a grounding problem :) I had already jumped the gun and ordered a new DLI ... but at least I can get most or all of my money back :)

I am very excited to strap her back on the dyno.

G

·
Congrats! You bought Manong Jhun's old Supra

he's been known for building the sickest Supras on the West Coast!

do a search for Manong Jhun and find all his posts :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
That is one sweet first Supra. Congratulations! :)

Steve T.

·
565rwhp Turbo Lexus
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the comments :)

Congrats! You bought Manong Jhun's old Supra

he's been known for building the sickest Supras on the West Coast!

do a search for Manong Jhun and find all his posts :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Do you know for sure this was his car ? The work was all done at Paisley ... either way, thanks for the info also. I am trying to dig up all of the history I can on the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts