Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i installed my gt spec yesterday. everything was fine in the end minus a few bolt problems. I also removed my egr.

i have a really rought idle and then it stalls out. what could this be from.

I have to go to work but maybe it is from the egr. maybe a gasket isnt sitting
right. do you guys have any ideas. bpu related problems i wouldnt know about.

matt

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Do you have gaskets sitting in between the intake manifold and EGR plates? Did you put in a resistor when you did the EGR removal?

·
Registered
598 Posts
As mentioned, I'd check all the vacuum lines and hoses / gap your plugs to .028..... If you have an aftermarket BOV and removed the stocky you might get stall issues as well. I don't know about EGR problems since I haven't removed mine yet.....

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
also make sure all the coil packs are seated snug to the spark plugs, and make sure the wires are still connected to the coil packs(they are brittle and will break)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you install the Powerhouse Racing EGR Block Off Plates? If yes, check the top block-off plate on the rear side of the intake manifold. It is possible to install this one upside down and you wil get a vacuum leak. This happened to me and it created a very rough idle. It takes two minutes to fix and you'll know immediately if it's fixed.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
^^^

Just as Boost Me state, there is a chance that you may have installed the blockoff plate upside resulting in a leak. It has happened before so don't think its stupid ;)

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
.028 is perfect, car still idles fine and it wont blow te spark out any. Go to .026 if your coilpacks are weak and it will still run perfect and not blow out the spark.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I run .032, and have never had a problem. (BPU)

You don't need to go as low a .028, until you are running significantly more boost. IE on a single turbo, and then it's still not ideal. You will want to upgrade to a twin power at that point so yuo can still keep a somewhat normal gap.

He has a vacuum problem from what he is describing..most likely due to the EGR.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
ScrewDrvr said:
.028 is perfect, car still idles fine and it wont blow te spark out any. Go to .026 if your coilpacks are weak and it will still run perfect and not blow out the spark.
I agree. .028 is perfect for BPU or BPU+
Your car will still run exactly like stock. .032 is too high in my opinion. I was miss firing at 20+psi with .032

·
Registered
176 Posts
.28 .32 around there... cars run dif sometimes... i run .32 and never have miss fires

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the input guys here are the answers and i'll start working on the car later tonight.

what are cacuun hoses? sorry i feel stupid i know a decent amount about cars and have never heard of them.

i did put gaskets between the block off plates but I had to reuse the one on the im bc curt sent me two lower egr gaskets

yes i put a resistor on the wire

no after market bov yet

I'll check the coil packs bc i just did a spark plug switch about two weeks ago but the car was running fine the whole time. i used ngk 6097's which i gapped to exactly 32

I used plates from hpf, i thought they made them but it could be phr so i'll check to see if it
is upside down.

is misfiring the same thing as a rough idle. and i started it after going bpu and everything seemed fine. then i did the egr and it was all down hill. i had it off before and it was fine all year so i'll have to look into it more.
thanks
should i take them out and regap or get new ones

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
The problem is a vacuum leak, not a spark problem. The car stalls because it is letting out metered air. I would say do a vaccum leak test, but If you dont know what vacuum lines are then we have a problem. When you installed the plates, did you have to unhook any hoses(vacuum lines) and if you did did you reconect them? Are there holes/cracks in these lines??

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
nj94supratt said:
thanks for all the input guys here are the answers and i'll start working on the car later tonight.

what are cacuun hoses? sorry i feel stupid i know a decent amount about cars and have never heard of them.

i did put gaskets between the block off plates but I had to reuse the one on the im bc curt sent me two lower egr gaskets

yes i put a resistor on the wire

no after market bov yet

I'll check the coil packs bc i just did a spark plug switch about two weeks ago but the car was running fine the whole time. i used ngk 6097's which i gapped to exactly 32

I used plates from hpf, i thought they made them but it could be phr so i'll check to see if it
is upside down.

is misfiring the same thing as a rough idle. and i started it after going bpu and everything seemed fine. then i did the egr and it was all down hill. i had it off before and it was fine all year so i'll have to look into it more.
thanks
should i take them out and regap or get new ones

Use the data you have to query your problem...

Did you install the 6097's and everything was fine and then do the egr and everything went to $hit? If so leave your plugs alone, the egr plates didn't affect your plug gap :dunno: The car will run fat for a few pulls until it gets used to the fact that it can breathe, try resetting your ecu and see if things change...

any smoke?

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
egr upside down.

car is running and firing great. smooth idle. thanks guys. I'll leave the spark plugs the way they are since everything seams fine.

there was no codes

i realized he meant vaccum as i was driving home. didnt mean to bust on you i was serious.

i put the resistor in and my trac light is still on. any ideas. i just cut the wire on the resistor and stuck it in the two wholes in the plug right behind the im. it is still on though. do i have to reset the comp or something or do i have the wrong plug.

matt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts