Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up guys, i got some #s for you. i did some 15 psi pulls on a Mustang Dyno today, and ended up with 335.5 [email protected] 5500 rpms, and 342.4 [email protected] rpms. i did that on a 57 trim with a divorced downpipe, 3.5 inch exhaust, full fuel system, da da da. the question i have is that the dyno shop said that on a regular dynojet dyno, the #s would be considerably higher-probably at least 380 to the wheels with that. what do you guys dyno on, and does anyone know how much of a difference the mustang vs dyno is in power(like % diff or whatever). I wanted to run more boost, but i didnt have race gas-oh well i dont drive with race gas on the street anyways. the a/f was around 11.2 throughout-pretty good for on the dyno-that should put me to about 11.8 on the street i hope. let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
On average, on a mustang dyno your car will dyno about 15-20% lower than on a dynojet. The mustang puts more of a real load on the car as opposed to the dynojet that doesn't. I think the dynojets will have something to simulate load very soon though.

Just as a gauge, my Trans am dynoed 300rwhp and 307tq with just a catback and intake. On the jet it should do 340-350 or so hp and tq. I was a little unsure about the Mustang dyno, but as a tuning tool, IMO it's a lot better than the jet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i have the dyno sheet here but i am at work - i have to scan it when i get home. so my #s on a dynojet dyno could be anywhere from 380-390 to the wheels? thats great, just what i was hoping for.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what do you guys think i will put on the dynojet-im thinking somewhere around 380 to the wheels. there is a place that uses dynojet by my house, im thinking of just going to do a couple pulls there and see EXACTLY what the difference in power is. if i can do that(money is tight now), i will post up the sheets to show the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
You should do 380 or so, maybe a little higher depending on the conditions at the dyno. I will be dynoing mine at a Dynojet in the next week or so to see the comparison as well.

Dynojets do have load based functions, but it's a very expensive tool to add to it and most shops don't want to spend the money. The Mustang puts a VERY real load on the car though. I ran my car once with no load on it at all and it revved 10x faster than usual, then he put the real 3700lb load on the car as it would be in real life conditions and we did it again. The difference was amazing. The first run felt like it would on a dynojet and the second felt much more realistic.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
loading is really only used for tuning. a typical dynojet can't add EXTRA load, load is just the interia of the drums (hence the whole interial dyno thing...). MD on the hand uses current to allow you add extra loading @ any given point. when doing a straight pull, the extra loading doesn't come into play. the difference in measured HP is purely the method of calculation. tuning is a different story....

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
drjonez said:
loading is really only used for tuning. a typical dynojet can't add EXTRA load, load is just the interia of the drums (hence the whole interial dyno thing...). MD on the hand uses current to allow you add extra loading @ any given point. when doing a straight pull, the extra loading doesn't come into play. the difference in measured HP is purely the method of calculation. tuning is a different story....
Oh so very true. Hence why you can do partial throttle and daily driving tunes on a MD as opposed to the Jet. Yes it will dyno lower on a MD, but the tuning capabilities are quite a bit higher with it as opposed to the Jet.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
what we usually did was tune on the street to get the maps done and make some power and clean them up and do timing on the dyno.

Dynapac's are nice with the loading options though. My friend doesnt even really do street tuning much anymore since he got them.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
IMO the power doesnt matter. As long as the tune is on, its just a bragging right with the numbers.
But I will bet you will see atleast 375 or possibly more on the Dynojet.
They can prob change the scaling on their charts and make you see even more, but what would it matter

DRJ, i almost had my ITR come off the rollers a few times. They are a bitch , but Dynapac's are growing now adays. So you will start seeing more and more shops with them.
Man you would think they would be cheaper for what they are too, but my friend paid like $65k I think he said on his.
But the nice thing is they are plug and play. No construction and all that jazz and waiting for Dynojet. If some dont know their service really sucks.

Sorry to jack, but I thought Id throw some of my 2psi in . lol

3,796 Posts
Nice #'s! Lets see the curve!! :bigthumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts