Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there my Western Canada suprafam,

So me and a buddy of mine are doing a Western Canada road trip during the last two weeks of May. Just under two weeks going from Calgary to Tofino and flying out of Victoria. I have a rough idea of the route, but any suggestions for places to check out, nice driving roads or if there are some decent car meets along the way would be greatly appreciated.

-Fly into Calgary around noon, either stay a night or just drive up to Banff right away. Is Calgary worth checking out?
-Banff/Lake Louise, for a day and a half
-Drive to either Kamloops or Kelona. I think I would either have to choose Hwy 1 or Hwy 5 from here. Right now i'm slightly leaning towards Hwy 1 to check out Salmon Arm and Hells Gate. Thoughts?
-Drive to Vancouver
-Drive back out to Chiliwack to go Sturgeon fishing. I'm super pumped about this
-Day in Vancouver. I was here a couple years ago and saw Stanley park, Lighthouse Park and checked out Granville Island already. So may go check out Capilano. Thoughts or if we should check out other places?
-Drive to Tofino
-Day in Tofino
-Head to Victoria and am there for a day
-Fly home

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
while you are in Vancouver... you might as well drive 2+ hours up the sea-to-sky highway to Whistler/Pemberton... and enjoy the drift... er i mean drive back down :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while you are in Vancouver... you might as well drive 2+ hours up the sea-to-sky highway to Whistler/Pemberton... and enjoy the drift... er i mean drive back down :)
Yeah I drove this the last time I was there (sorry should've mentioned). It was the best drive I've ever done since Toronto area roads suck. The only downfall is that you can't look at all the mountain/ocean views and properly drive at the same time haha.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I suggest another day, minimum, in the Lake Louise Jasper area.

Moraine Lake, just south of Lake Louise is a short drive. Their is SPECTACULAR hiking at both lakes.

Jasper...drive up to Jasper....a spectacular drive on the IceFields Parkway. Stop at Athabasca Falls. If time permits, drive SE out of Jasper to Malign Lake. Lots of wildlife in this entire area.

Yoho National Park....drive north into Yoho Valley......located between Lake Louise & Golden....another visual treat!!

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
2 things that you need to do in Tofino: Tofino Brewery, get a flight of samplers. Their coffee stout is fantastic. And Tacofino for lunch, best fish tacos on the island.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The drive to Tofino is best done in the early morning, otherwise you get stuck behind alot of slow moving traffic with limited passing areas. The road isn't the smoothest especially after winter. I'm going to disagree with tacofino but if you go to that hipster cesspool I would call and order so you save time other than waiting in a lineup. I recommend the fish tacos at the tidal taco shack in qualicum and the drive along the ocean isn't bad there either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noted, 6:30am ferry it is. I'll try both places. Tacos for breakfast/lunch and dinner sound pretty good to me.

As for Lake louise/Banff/Jasper I've realised that I've fucked up and not left myself enough time. I'll shuffle some things around, the ice field parkway looks too amazing to miss..

One other thing I took for granted is how cold it is up in the mountains. After some internet reading, a lot of the lakes are frozen up until late May or early June?? Apparently the weather has been nice in Calgary lately, so I'll hope for the best. Also hoping that it's not too cold to go surfing in Tofino..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts