Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Try using a toothpick and leaving it as smooth as possible if you find that the stock touch up brush isn't to your satisfaction. Hit it with 1500 --> 2000 --> 2500 and then bust out the PC and get to buffing. You will need a medium cutting pad and something more abrasive than #80 at first, then proceed onward with #80 and a light cut pad and polishing pad. Multiple passes will likely be needed, so don't give up if results don't come immediately.

Good luck and +1 :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
brianb said:
Anyone have a guide for this? I'd like to bring down the blob of touch up paint by wet sanding w/o taking off too much clear in the surrounding area.

Nairb

First:
What did you touch up with? Is it just the color in the little bottle? That stuff wont endure sanding and buffing since there's no clear on top. The technique you want to use only applys if there's clearcoat on top of the color to work with.
Only something with hardener (as in clearcoat) will take a beating from sandpaper and a buffer...otherwise, you're just cutting the bare color and disturbing thge metallic (if there are some) and then possibly buffing it right off, unless it's a big nasty blob, in which case, the touch-up wasn't done cleanly to begin with.
As little as possible to do the trick is the way to touch-up...as MDsuperstar mentioned.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blkturbo! said:
First:
What did you touch up with? Is it just the color in the little bottle? That stuff wont endure sanding and buffing since there's no clear on top. The technique you want to use only applys if there's clearcoat on top of the color to work with.
Only something with hardener (as in clearcoat) will take a beating from sandpaper and a buffer...otherwise, you're just cutting the bare color and disturbing thge metallic (if there are some) and then possibly buffing it right off, unless it's a big nasty blob, in which case, the touch-up wasn't done cleanly to begin with.
As little as possible to do the trick is the way to touch-up...as MDsuperstar mentioned.
Yeah, before I learned about the right way of applying touch up (The OEM color match that Toyota supplies at their parts counters), I did it the wrong way: brushing it on thick. Well, one area I've done sticks out pretty bad now (5 years later...) and I want to eliminate most of the touch up paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts