Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Local guy gave up on his Supra after a month and a half of working on it. It definitely needs some work, but it has the 5spd with a 3 week old clutch, a super monitor, 2 brand new tires, and overall is 99% complete.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car runs, but doesnt want to rev past 3000rpm (not hitting a cut, but just doesnt have enough power to do so -- feels like a cam gear is off a tooth). Anyway, the paint is in pretty rough shape (almost looks like primer) -- but I waxed a circle on the hood and the shine came back surprisingly well

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The engine is pretty well ghetto rigged -- lots of little stuff to fix (wiring, duct tape sealing the hoses, missing/loose coolant hoses, etc). I'm going to do a compression test next weekend -- the results of that test will determine whether this is a parts car, or whether it will become an automatic and get dumped off in the classifieds for $1000...

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lsd seems to be working fine -- I even left a little smoke when dumping the clutch at 3000rpm in the parking lot (trying to get the car up on the trailer).

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The targa leaks. As the paint picture shows, the car has probably never seen a garage. The result? One ratty interior (note the 5spd!!!):

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am quite partial to sub-$1,000 Supras. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
last one: The car has a salvage title -- and when hooking up the safety chains to the tow hooks I could see why. The front end had a new bumper support, but everything was pretty well beat (IC and oil cooler). Here is an apparent leak in the Ic (note the oil residue from the dented section)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chevyeater-on-sf said:
So, you going to pick this up to replace your mk2 rock hopper, Jeff?

Brian

Edit: Ah 5 speed swap fodder. G/L :)

Funny you should mention that. For those that don't know the story behind the mk2 rockhopper, see: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=153688&highlight=blew

My buddy totaled his tacoma shortly after we blew the mk2 up, so we decided to make it a daily driver. It now has a ~190hp 6M-GE, fresh clutch, new brakes, and a host of other improvements. It recently passed CA smog actually emitting cleaner air than the shop (5hc vs 10hc in the ambient air). Anyway, here are some pics of that beast back on the road (right next to the oil stain from where it blew the 5m):

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you remember the ignition cylinder was broken so we were using a flathead screwdriver for a key. Well a headlight switch now turns the igniton to ACC (parking lights) or to On (headlights). A simple push and release button works wonders for the starter:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
aww god damnit, your lucky ma71....... i bought a super monitor and heater control from this guy in florida, but he never sent the shit and still has my money!(going to get him soon), i so want that super monitor but im broke now. good find for a parts car, looks in better condition than my supra though lol

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah in my short stint around the parking lot, the Supermonitor showed a best of 9mpg. I really like the stopwatch feature -- I'm pretty sure it'll end up in my car unless someone convinces me they want it more ;)

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
looks good man, its about time you got a STICK SHIFT :) aight peace

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
... but everything was pretty well beat (IC and oil cooler). Here is an apparent leak in the Ic (note the oil residue from the dented section)
Ain't that the PS cooler line? Regardless, nice find... the 86.5-88 frond ends rock!

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
pmpaluda said:
Ain't that the PS cooler line?
Right below the PS line you can see the dented portion of the Ic (smashed worse from the front). It's wet around the dent, which makes me think its oil blowing out of a leak....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts