Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted about an '88 for sale what about this '89?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/1215853423.html

i called him he said it need a new oil pump.. so im thinkin oil pump oil filter air filter.. but for 1grand not too bad? he said that he has a non stock engine in it or something and along with the car hell give the old engine? thats all i really got out of him. couldnt really understand him too much wind in phone on his end

· MK3 Owner For Life
2,097 Posts
It's never that simple with MKIII's. If you know little about supras then I would suggest buying something in good running condition. That car probably needs a new engine if he mentioned that it needed work and a new oil pump.

· 7m love... dont hate.
2,728 Posts
replacing oil pump= totally fried engine= taking engine out even just to replace oil pump but since you need a new oil pump that would mean the engine is fried. wouldn't pay more that 500 for the car.

· Registered
472 Posts
Depending on the interior a $500 starting offer would be fair, maybe less if the interior is ratted out, more if it is clean w/only slight wear.

What type of project are you looking for, a ground up restoration and modification, or modifying a car in good running order? If it is the former, anything under $1500 is worth taking a look at, if it is the latter you will want to look possibly at the other two listed with it, one was for $4200 and the other was for $5900.

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
Depending on the interior a $500 starting offer would be fair, maybe less if the interior is ratted out, more if it is clean w/only slight wear.

What type of project are you looking for, a ground up restoration and modification, or modifying a car in good running order? If it is the former, anything under $1500 is worth taking a look at, if it is the latter you will want to look possibly at the other two listed with it, one was for $4200 and the other was for $5900.
What he said

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
It also looks like it needs a rear side window, I would say $500 if it has a rebuildable block, and no frame damage.

· Supra Dead Head
620 Posts
iam selling my non running rebuilt 7mge for $800 and thats only because i have replaced alot of things on the car, The buyer is only paying for my rebuild and tokicos. The car is just worth anything not running, bottom line dont spend a grand on it, because your gunna have to spend alot more just to drive it.

· Over 10 years on SF....
13,630 Posts
I just sold a complete trashy shell, bhg... for $700. It had a new harness though and only 50k on the motor.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im just lookign for a car that i can call my own. even if parts have to be replaced. i want to spend around 1-2k on the car and then i have 4 grand to be put in right away and im still workin so more will go into the car. i guess the '88 is a better bet. either way ill have my mechanic look at both of them.
thanks guys

· Registered
472 Posts
^^Given your plans either one should work for you, I would definitely look at both and compare, to get an idea of what is available in your area as a good project car.

Another thing to think about while searching for a project car is what is your ability. i.e good at bolting things on, or can you pull apart and rebuild?. If not the latter, you should look for a clean well running car in good condition that you can build up from there. Otherwise you wont get far w/$6k, unless your mechanic is a good friend who will work for beer and pizza.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.