Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just imported a K&N 57-9004 FIPK and find that it won't fit between the IC hard pipe (going through the snorkel hole in the front end) :dunno: So what air filter are all you folks that are running hard pipes using ????

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Not sure but i have the same problem.. can't put my hardpipes on until i find a filter that fits... or i suppose you could cut the wiper fluid resevoir to push the filter over. Either way, i want to know too!

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
k&n offers a variety of universal filters you can use. In this case you want to use a universal with a 3in inlet.

Id say a "standard size" filter for our cars is the k&n rc-4180. The filter ITSELF is 6 inches long, 4 in top, 6 inch base. Same filter jblmk3.com uses in his kits. This filter has a chrome top. :

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=rc-4180&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

If you want the cheaper one thats identical its the RE-0930. $5 cheaper, same filter but no chrome top.

The next size smaller would probably be the rc-3870. It is 1in shorter in length (5 inches) and the base is one inch smaller in diameter(5 inches).

Now the smallest filter you could use would be the ru-3700. I actually had to use it on my setup because my intake pipe turned out to be too long, and my i/c pipes were in the way. Its pretty damn small, but ill just have to see how it works out. This filter is 2 inches shorter than the rc-4180, and has the 5 inch base.

Here is a pic of it on my car:

Hope that helps. Remember your gonna need a 3in(or 80mm) filter adapter for the afm. Im using an hks, but suprasport also sells cast ones. Jbl also has a 3in filter adapter as well on his site.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
ive had several diff configurations of hard pipes and never had a problem using the fipk kit. only thing i had to do when going thru the snorkel hole was take off that bracket that attached to the filter and it was mint.
otherwise, another option to try and make yours work is go to home depot or the like and go searching in the plumbing section. could prob get an elbow an cut it to reposition the filter to fit.

good luck

dave

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
yea i was thinking of that problem too...i'm about to install my FMIC and have the hardpipes going thru snorkel hole....rite now the KN filter is covering the hole....but i have a metal accordian hose which is shorter then the stock...so it will move it back and hopefully itll fit...if not i think i might have to enlarge the snorkel a little

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
I've tried unbolting the bracket that holds the filter in place and moving it to the side... filter is still too large. I just have to find a smaller filter and i think nj gave me the right numbers =)

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
try the HKS mushroom one. I put that on my friends, then did hardpipes with no problem. and the filter is very free flowing. I'll be running one on my next car.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HKS mushroom definitely doesn't fit. Here's my solution . . .

Leaving the old HKS adapter in place and mounting a K&N RX-4120-1 filter. The HKS adapter has a 3.25 inch opening - the K&N has a 3.313 inch flange (should be able to clamp it down adequately. The RX-4120-1 has a 4.875 inch base, a 4 inch X-Stream air flow top, and it's 4.25 inches long.

This should work.

Thanks to all who contributed here :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts