Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2nd for the top of the line Clarion head unit from a few years ago and was running it with the stock amp and stokc speakers. My friend just gave me Boston Pro Series 5.5's and RX67's and I have installed them in the car. They sound good, but I think that they need more power, plus I would like to put in a couple of sub's (I'm trying to get my ex-g.f. to give me some Fosgate Punch that she isn't using plus she has a 2-Channel Alpine amp to power them).

What Amp whould I get and how much power is right for those speakers? Should I get a 6 channel, or should I get a 4-Channel and use the 2-channel she has. I really don't want to spend very much cash because I'm painting my car etc. but I'd like to round out the system.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
I just dropped my car off today to get a system put in. It consists of:
Eclipse deck, Boston PRO 6.5 2 way up front, Boston RX47 rear and Boston PRO 10" subs (two of them). For amps, I chose PPI (precision power) - a 4 channel for the speakers (PCX 480) and 1 channel for the subs (PCX 1250). I'm not able to comment on it yet since it's still being worked on, but I have heard similar setups with Boston speakers and PPI amps, and it sounded AWESOME!

Almost anyone will tell you that Precision Power is great stuff....very CLEAN power but very LOUD power. They run very efficiently and will drive those Boston speakers you have very well. The PRO series are rated to handle anywhere from 20-400 watts, and the RX67s are good for 12-160 watts. My PCX 480 will be feeding 80 watts into each speaker at 4 ohms. Depending on how loud you need it, this should be sufficient for a kick-ass setup.

The subs are built to be of superior sound quality yet be durable enough to not blow out when you feed them huge amounts of power. The 10's I bought will handle 1100 watts each. It is important that you build the enclosure to the exact specs, though, or they will sound bad and do have a chance of being damaged. My PCX 1250 will be feeding each sub 250 watts which should be pretty loud in a hatch. If I remember to, I'll post how it sounds after it's completed (although what "sounds good" to one person might sound like shit to another).

Anyway, good luck...here's a good place to buy from if you want low prices:
www.cbxstereo.com
I haven't bought from them, but was referred to them as being very legit and good to deal with. Also check ebay for some good deals (I chose to buy from a local shop for about $50 more so I would have the 3 year warranty on the amps).

·
0 Posts
You have to ask yourself how much room you want lose. I have been in the stero game for about 12 years. We will need to what size the subs are to give you a power rating. I would think a good 6 channel amp will be fine, but if you want to break the welds in your you need more power. I run the PPI PC6X50, it runs two JL 10W5, Focal 5.5 two way up front and aMB Quart 4 in the rear. If I can help let me know.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
degradated,

Thanks for the input, I'd like to check out your system when its done.

87Tmk3 said:
You have to ask yourself how much room you want lose. I have been in the stero game for about 12 years. We will need to what size the subs are to give you a power rating. I would think a good 6 channel amp will be fine, but if you want to break the welds in your you need more power. I run the PPI PC6X50, it runs two JL 10W5, Focal 5.5 two way up front and aMB Quart 4 in the rear. If I can help let me know.
I don't want to give up much space(keep spare tire and targa storage) and I don't need anything too crazy, just tight clean bass.

Thanks for the input guys!:D

·
0 Posts
I would run a 10 sub in a seal enclosure. You could then run a 4 channel amp, run the fronts and rears off 2 channela and the sub on the others. The Alpine V12 work very well for this. I used that amp and a JL 10w0, it worked very well and only need 1cubic foot of air space. The V12 also has built in crossover. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
87Tmk3 said:
I would run a 10 sub in a seal enclosure. You could then run a 4 channel amp, run the fronts and rears off 2 channela and the sub on the others. The Alpine V12 work very well for this. I used that amp and a JL 10w0, it worked very well and only need 1cubic foot of air space. The V12 also has built in crossover. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

·
4,417 Posts
Ryan,

I am doing the exact same thing. Adcom 4-channel amp (4x50W @ 4 Ohms)... Single 10" sub in a sealed enclosure using the rear two channels bridged for the sub. It really sounds good. I am using a JL 10w3.

Good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
Got the car back...Here are pictures.
It came out great! Sounds fantastic. I can crank it and there are no rattles and the speakers don't even begin to distort. Just very crisp and clean no matter how loud I want it (to the point of where my ears start hurting and I can't take it anymore). If you have any questions, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts