Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all recent supra owners and people looking for one, what are/were your priorities for purchasing a supra? Is it horsepower, mileage, stock, model year, etc...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mileage, modifications or I should say lack there of, condition, originality, vin tags in place, no paint work if possible.

They are getting few and far to find them in this shape. I have been searching for a QS car personally, but I am sure others are in the same boat when it comes to any other color.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking around, it seems that low mileage , original condition supras have become more valuable than the high horsepower cars.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,463 Posts
looking for my second mkiv now(considering other cars but another supra is really what i know i want)

-overall cleanness
-owners reputation is a big factor, my last car had a lot of underlying issues that arose within the first couple weeks of ownership that were easy fixes for a 19 year old kid that i was who had never worked on a 2j motor, let alone the previous owner who claimed to be extremely knowledgable in the work he did
-solid compression numbers
-6spd(pref) vs auto(is it a built auto, pref)
-preferably stock or simple BPU motor, if single...all of the stock turbo stuff is a huge plus for smog. However a car that already has a clean Exhaust+FMIC is a huge plus for me..
-mileage...100-130kish is fine for an older car, under 100k is pref
-quality aftermarket rims are a huge plus
-headlight condition (silly i know, but i was spoiled with my pristine euro's)
-id like to find a hardtop just to give that a try, but it's definitely not a make or break
-color....last car was RR, while i don't really mind color all that much if i had a choice it'd either be RSP, Baltic, DJG/IJM, MSB, or Black....with Alpine being my least favorite(sorry alpine guys :( )..i think darker Supras look by far the best.
-price...my realistic most likely price range is low to mid 20's, my ideal 'having patience' hopeful is sub 20's but unlikely as it prob wont meet other requirements, and then there are a few cars over 30 that im having a hard time NOT considering(particularly a certain local Baltic car that i know fairly well :( ), so if the car stacks up and i decide the financial plunge is worth it, that could happen.

we'll see, im still slowly finishing my move so i wont actually seriously shop for a while still, but just watching the market in case something i absolutely cant let pass pops up. this time around is seeming to be much more promising though as i actually know what to look for when looking at the cars unlike last time where i basically learned all of this during ownership.

truth be told, i really still wish i never sold the last one =/ .....My Audi just hasn't done the trick I had hoped it would.

EDIT: also quick random thing, I have a strange tick for acquiring a 96 TT... just because nobody seems to want them, and in turn it doesn't seem like you see too many. they are that strange, non-98 'rare' model year.

·
Something's fuckey
313 Posts
Id have to say... Singled, e85 is preferred, I don't like bright colors, clean interior (no random shit that doesn't flow), lower miles 50-75k, uh, vins don't really matter to me as well as paint, as long as the title is clean. I keep getting close, just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
325 Posts
For me just owning one was my purpose,and to enjoy her as much as possible.. Though she may have 200,000 miles on her just driving her on the weekends puts a smile on my face. I would modify her but the police here would just make me put her back to stock... Not worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
When I was shopping for my first Supra:
Targa
6 speed
Stock Body
Preferably no red
Half-decent shape (I was not as picky as I should have been)

When I was shopping for my second Supra (which never came to fruition, WTF Supra world disowned me):
Hardtop (original TT)
Any color but Baltic Blue, Alpine, IJM, or Emerald Green (Red had grown on me tremendously)
No accident history
Stock body
Either VERY close to stock, or impeccably modified, but not too big of a turbo
Clean and/or visibly well-maintained

If I were to buy one now, it would be mostly the same as above, but I would prefer to buy one already APU, but well-done. It just makes financial sense, and a ~T67 size that I would prefer is popular enough to find. I think there are more people out there doing quality jobs on modifying their cars, as well as a handful of people cleaning up the poor work from previous owners. That being said, I don't expect to buy a Supra and not have a couple things to fix or bring to my liking right away. I've also found myself increasingly attracted to white...

·
ex BPU'er
5,095 Posts
When I buy another Supra, I'll be looking for an original TT, BPU mods at most, mileage under 100K if possible, 6 spd.

·
I own a Supra
279 Posts
My next supra will be a 98 6SPD QS, I have my eyes on one, just waiting for the seller to give me the go....

I look for rarity, color, mods (lack thereof), and lower mileage.

I already have a BPU supra, I don't need a dyno queen... Beyond that I've become a collector...

If anyone remembers Wrenchwhore, he is the one to ask this question from... his mentality about these supra's is spot on what I agree with and believe as well.

·
Boost Creep
3,492 Posts
I used to want low mileage, then realized that I didn't ever want to drive it in fear or racking up miles.

So I bought my current car, which I'm actually ENJOYING on the weekend, and not looking at in the garage.

I think sometimes people actually forget why they bought their car.

·
ex BPU'er
5,095 Posts
I used to want low mileage, then realized that I didn't ever want to drive it in fear or racking up miles.

So I bought my current car, which I'm actually ENJOYING on the weekend, and not looking at in the garage.

Agreed with this. I have typically put in 10K miles a year. Last year I only did 7K. This year, I'm only projected to do even less. I'm actually mad about it lol

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lot of guys seem to want 97-98 low mileage. When I bought mine all I wanted was a tt 6spd priced accordingly for what shape it was in, knew there was a list of mods I wanted to do anyway. So, I guess just having a project supra was my goal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 93LS1RX7 now and am thinking of selling it and going to a Supra. The new baby isn't allowed to ride in the front seat.

I will be looking for mid 20's in cost, but high 20's isn't unrealistic if it is a clean car.
Stock body
A modded car would be a plus, but stock is good too
Interior stock and in decent condition
6 speed a must
100-150k miles are not a concern if the car has been taken care of.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
In this order real TT 6 speed, color, no accidents, stock body, clean interior, under 130k miles. Mods don't matter to me.

I've never got the 97-98 appeal...

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
1998, 6 speed TT, renaissance red; according to an online source I'm looking for 1 of 119. :run:

Lower miles, and I don't really care for mods as long as they're tasteful and done right!

One day...

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts

94Canuck went through the exact same thing.

after owning a supra for 2 years and modifying the shit out of it, i would want one thats decent exterior paint quality, milage unimportant,
i'd look at the underbody. it would have to be single turbo with as many mods as possible because i would do it anyway so i might aswell save time and money to get back to where i am.

thats about it.

if i fall in love with it when i see it and it has minimal things wrong with it. the only other thing is price.

i wouldnt want one with bottom end problems, and i think i would prefer a supra that had everything built except the bottom end so not TOOOO modified. and i would like it to be running at its current power for at least a few thousand miles so that she wont grenade 2 blocks down the road due to recent mod failures.

you should see the bottom of my 180,000 kilometer supra. negligible amounts of rust.
boostin 700whp on a stock bottom end, daily driven. no big deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.