Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are problems w/ buying a built Supra?, Found some good deals.

I have a stock Supra, but I am thinking of selling it to a friend who won't keep offering me way more than I paid, lol!

Anyways I've been looking on Autotrader and I have been seeing some serious good deals in the $25k - $28k range on either 97-98 low mileage stock tt Supras or 93.5-95 customized built single turbo Supras. I am wondering if I have a compression test done and get a good mechanic to look over it and to look for leaks what could be the problem? Its kinda hard to decide where to go if I sell. Buy an older Supra w/ 50k sunk in it or buy a newer stock one. Thing is all of them have under 70k miles, some way under like 40k.

Examples:

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=823

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...dvanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=1787

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=678

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=786

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=823
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
If you doo a compression test , look for shaft play on the turbo ,if it's burning oil. make shure the owner takes you for a rip and see if the clutch slips,and everithing is ok that's what came to my head right now
Buy the suker

Ther are alot of supras out there beeten to death ready to blow
Keep your eyes peeled and you wil be ok
Hope this helps.
 

·
Oh I think they like me.
Joined
·
714 Posts
newone said:
I have a stock Supra, but I am thinking of selling it to a friend who won't keep offering me way more than I paid, lol!

Anyways I've been looking on Autotrader and I have been seeing some serious good deals in the $25k - $28k range on either 97-98 low mileage stock tt Supras or 93.5-95 customized built single turbo Supras. I am wondering if I have a compression test done and get a good mechanic to look over it and to look for leaks what could be the problem? Its kinda hard to decide where to go if I sell. Buy an older Supra w/ 50k sunk in it or buy a newer stock one. Thing is all of them have under 70k miles, some way under like 40k.

Examples:

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=823

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...dvanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=1787

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=678

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=786

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=823

god the fucking 1st and last one fucking SUCK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Buy my '98 RSP for 45K and drive in style!!!
Only 10 of these 6sp in the US. Probably the only one with under 28k miles.
Rob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
If you plan on going single in the future I'd probably get the built one as the cost of building it yourself can get quite expensive. Another thing though is the big single turbos are pretty high maintenance........so just know you are buying someone else's problems, but that can be said for buying any used car :)
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob Allen said:
Buy my '98 RSP for 45K and drive in style!!!
Only 10 of these 6sp in the US. Probably the only one with under 28k miles.
Rob
Sounds great, but I bet you want $10k more than what I can get one for.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: Re: What are problems w/ buying a built Supra?

Titanium said:
god the fucking 1st and last one fucking SUCK
lol!

Yeah, there just examples. I really like the 3rd and 4th ones though.

Believe it or not I keep finding better deals on newer ones. Its crazy...... look on Ebay and I think I can't afford any MKIV (even if I sell mine), Look on here and think I can afford a 93.5- 94 tt, look on AutoTrader and I can afford a low mileage 97-98 tt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
The problem with buying used is that you inherit anything they did and usually this means half assed work. I wished I had bought my Supra unmodded and did it myself with all the work that had to be done to fix wiring, mechanical and other misc. fixes.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
silvino said:
The problem with buying used is that you inherit anything they did and usually this means half assed work. I wished I had bought my Supra unmodded and did it myself with all the work that had to be done to fix wiring, mechanical and other misc. fixes.
I understand that and I am now leaning towards getting a newer (stockish to stock) 97-98 tt. I keep finding $25k w/ low miles. :D

On the other hand I am just out of college and I make about $500 a week (I'm 23), my payments are already $350 a month and if I sell I'm looking at $450+ a month on another Supra. Then add insurance, rent, food, gas, and all other expenses. That doesn't give me alot to work with on building a single turbo car ;)

Whats it cost anyway to go single w/ a good size turbo and install? $15k+?
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I understand, especially if its a DD. I could very much live w/ the stock power plus a few bolt ons.

I am finding so many good deals on 97 Supras I think I'm gonna sell my 94 and buy one. I found a few 97' models w/ under 60k miles for $26k or less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
do the research when buying any car modded or not
being single turbo with lots of power doesnt necessarily mean the car will have lots of problems
speak to the owner on a personal level
try to get a feel for what type of individual he/she is
sad thing to say though, people are out to scam others in this society
look at all aspects of the work and how clean it was done
ask for receipts and all records
most anal owners will have receipts of all parts and work done(if the work was done at a shop)

if anyone bought my car, i can guarantee that there will not be any problems with the car if the owner continues to take care of the car as well as i do
i have not had any problems with mine

well maybe one problem.....traction:D

good luck with your decision and take your time
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Supralative,

Is your car single?

How much have you put in your car to get it in the 10s?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
newone said:
Supralative,

Is your car single?

How much have you put in your car to get it in the 10s?
the car is single turbo
i would say roughly in the 11K range for the 10's
it had more, i just couldnt launch it there
i dont count my 3 sets of wheels that i have switched as performance items... hehe

It could probably done right in the 10K range with good shopping on parts and doing alot of work yourself
tuning is the key for a good strong car though
from what i know there are not many stock long block supras that have trapped past 140MPH

just dont skimp and buy cheap stuff

you can do 10's on stock twins with some magic also!!!!!
it has been done

it all depends on the route you want to go
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks,

$11k isn't bad at all.

Knowing that I think I will go with a stocker or atleast close to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts

·
You serious?
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Re: What are problems w/ buying a built Supra?, Found some good deals.

newone said:
1) :barf:

2) Too shady of a deal. Replaced trannsmission? Sounds like he beat the shit out of the thing.

3) Sounds good to me. I'd go and check this one out.

4)Something just sounds fishy about this. However, he might just not know what he has. I would definately go and see this one in person.
5) :barf: Thanks for making me throw up twice over the same car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Re: Re: What are problems w/ buying a built Supra?, Found some good deals.

dont forget to put the title into consideration.
salvage title,theft recovery, water and accidents.
hate it when they say its in good condition and you find a poor paint job or even rust and shit. none of those cars posted have a vin available to check.
sure they may look good in pictures but you never know

Formula1Vendetta said:
1) :barf:

2) Too shady of a deal. Replaced trannsmission? Sounds like he beat the shit out of the thing.

3) Sounds good to me. I'd go and check this one out.

4)Something just sounds fishy about this. However, he might just not know what he has. I would definately go and see this one in person.
5) :barf: Thanks for making me throw up twice over the same car.
 

·
Addicted to boost
Joined
·
525 Posts
Personally, I would buy one as close to stock and with low mileage, then pick out the mods yourself. When I got mine, it had exhaust, max air box, and a cheap ass strut tower bar and 28,000 miles on it. I replaced the cheap strut tower bar, and started the moddin'.

The only headaches you'll have are when you torn between which mod to buy first!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

James
93.5 TT
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top