Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few searches, and mostly come up with the BFG gForce T/A KD's, but still other's say the Bridgestone SO-3 pole positions or the Michelon Pilot Sports are the best?

I do no autocross or such, and will be using stock wheels. I'm thinking of going with 275/40/17 in the rear.

I've heard really bad things about the KD's, as i heard they're almost lethal in the rain, is this true?

All replies appreciated! Feel free to suggest a specialized website, but i've checked out discounttiredirect (who now has free shipping :) and tirerack but didn't find out much about the tires, just the prices.

- Justin

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
For dry hookup and cornering, no street tire beats the KD. I miss KD's dearly (they're backordered for the right rear 315 :( ).

For all around, nothing beats the pole positions.

I hate Pilot Sports.

Andi

·
Registered
979 Posts
i have 295 35 18 kd and i LOVE them.....and i recently did a test drive on several of the closest competitors and will stick with BFG....i can also attest to the KD in the rain because for NOPI last year i had htese tires on and drove through a hurricane/tropical storm on the way from miami to atlanta...and had no issues....granted i wanst boosing it hard in the rain but for normal driving i had no issues.....and they are holding up well on the milage.....Jeff

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of prices are you guys getting the BFG's for? A local shop here could get them tomorrow, mounted/balanced for $288. DTD had them for 282 i think... seems about right to me.

Appreciate the help.

M

·
0 Posts
off topic

Caughron, I'm not sure if u got my message but i can take that downpipe off your hand by tomorrow. I have the $$ so get back to me as soon as possible. I really need it!!!
My email is [email protected].
Thanx alot!:cool:

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Re: Re: What are the BEST tires out there?

Hello Andi -

I just ordered Yokohama AVS Sports, 295/35R18 rear and 275/30R18 front. In your opinion, what are the strengths and/or weaknesses of this tire??

Thanks,
John

Andi said:
For dry hookup and cornering, no street tire beats the KD. I miss KD's dearly (they're backordered for the right rear 315 :( ).

For all around, nothing beats the pole positions.

I hate Pilot Sports.

Andi

·
3,148 Posts
John,

Hopefully you meant 265/35R18 and 295/30R18.

Later, Steve

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What are the BEST tires out there?

RSP TRD Single-T said:
Hello Andi -

I just ordered Yokohama AVS Sports, 295/35R18 rear and 275/30R18 front. In your opinion, what are the strengths and/or weaknesses of this tire??

Thanks,
John

They're a great 2nd choice to the KD's. I'm running AVS Sports right now in lieu of the back ordered KD's. They're alright. They just don't hook up quite as well as the KDs.

Andi

R

·
0 Posts
AVS Sports

I'm runnin' 265/35/18 AVS Sports on my BPU'd MKIV and I managed to go from new to abused rear tires in one summer (7K miles). I never hole shoot or speed shift the car, but it almost always gets squirrely when Turbo 2 comes on at WOT.

I'm confused as to how you single turbo guys are getting any traction or mileage out of these tires?

C

·
0 Posts
Re: AVS Sports

Richard Laws said:
I'm runnin' 265/35/18 AVS Sports on my BPU'd MKIV and I managed to go from new to abused rear tires in one summer (7K miles). I never hole shoot or speed shift the car, but it almost always gets squirrely when Turbo 2 comes on at WOT.

I'm confused as to how you single turbo guys are getting any traction or mileage out of these tires?

Me too!

·
3,148 Posts
Most single turbo Supra's run between 18 and 20psi on the street when using pump gas. At this boost level a single turbo doesn't make that much more peak torque than a BPU+ car. My car made 450rwtq when it was BPU+. Now it makes 480rwtq with the SP63 at 20.5psi. As you can see it doesn't have to have that much more grip. My car is making about 120rwtq more than my BPU+ at redline, but not that much more at peak.

Later, Steve

T

·
0 Posts
ok, so the BFG KD's are pretty good? How do they compare with straight line traction and cornering to the Nitto NT555R Drag Radials? I just got mine and they seem to grip pretty well all around, especially in a straight line.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE730's on both of my Supras. I love them. I bought them mainly for wet traction. I hydroplaned once and lost it(not in the Supra) and I never want to do that again. They handle water really well, and to my amazement the hook pretty good to. Also I got 31k miles out of one set. They kinda look like slicks now, so I guess I should replace them.
I have 285/40/17's, and 245/40/17's. They stick to the road nicely as well. I feel comfortable in some turns at 90mph.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts