Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok while my engine and trans are out I decided to clean up my nasty engine bay. My problem is I have no idea what half of these things are or what they do.
This is where you guys come in :)

I have 2 pictures ( I hope that they work)

I have circled everything in red, and labeled each circle in a green letter.

Please indicate the picture, what letter, what it is, and what it does.

Thanks for all your help.
And don't make fun of my circling skills.

Pic-1

Pic-2

I will probably be adding more pictures as I remove stuff and find more stuff.
Thanks again for your help.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
pic-1
A is fuel pump resistor
B fuel pump relay
C winsheild wiper motor
D Heater valve
E Charcol canister (Useless)
F....... A/C Lines? Not sure

Pic-2
A Horn speaker (alarm i think)
B cruse control actuator
C Something to do with brakes...not sure
D Steering Arm
E Ignition Unit

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
1pic
C=windshield washer pump
D=heater thing
E=charcoal canister
2pic
A= alarm horn
B=cruise control
C= ?something to do with brake system
D=steering thing
E=ingnition

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
SupraDreamer44 said:
pic-1
A is fuel pump resistor
B fuel pump relay
C winsheild wiper motor
D Heater valve
E Charcol canister (Useless)
F....... A/C Lines? Not sure

Pic-2
A Horn speaker (alarm i think)
B cruse control actuator
C Something to do with brakes...not sure
D Steering Arm
E Ignition Unit
all correct save the following corrections/clarifications:

1-F sensors on A/C lines

2-A horn for alarm, the horn horns are behind the IC
2-C brake proportioning valve
2-D steering linkage
2-E ignition coil (ignitor goes here for the GTE)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys.

So are these things needed?

Obviously the steering arms and break related objects are.

And before I remove it, the AC unit is in front of the radiator, correct?

And one more question, do I have to remove the headlights to be able to remove the peice of metal that covers the radiator and AC, its the peice of metal with the hood opening mechanism attached to it.

Thanks again.

P.S. Where is the Tems located?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
tems is on top of the shock towers normally. you dont have it so no worries

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Krispyyy86 said:
Thanks for all the help guys.

So are these things needed?

Obviously the steering arms and break related objects are...
depends on your def of "needed"...

Krispyyy86 said:
And before I remove it, the AC unit is in front of the radiator, correct?
a/c unit? there's a variety of components in the a/c system. the condensor is in front of the rad, the compressor is under the alt, the evaporator is in the dash and there are lines all over.

Krispyyy86 said:
And one more question, do I have to remove the headlights to be able to remove the peice of metal that covers the radiator and AC, its the peice of metal with the hood opening mechanism attached to it.

Thanks again.

P.S. Where is the Tems located?
you can't remove that piece of metal (upper core support) as it's welded to the chassis. drill out the spot welds and you're good to go...

TEMS is a system- there are 4 actuators (one on top of each strut), there's a computer back near the power antenna, buttons behind the shifter, lights in the dash, various sensors and wiring all over.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Why do you want to remove all of that stuff? I can see if you're building a racecar, but otherwise you're just de-valuing your car even more.

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
Picture 2-E?
That's not the standard 7MGTE Igniter for the ignition. The standard one is an encapulated aluminum rectangular box? The one picture is black and looks like plastic?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help drjonez.

I'm removing all this stuff as I think it makes my engine bay look tacky as hell.
I have no need for the AC as I have the targa off pretty much all the time, into lat November last year to be exact.

I don't see it as devaluing MY car, I see it as enhancing.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Removing the ac is very easy and straightforward, it's just a lot of unbolting to get to it. I had to move the coolant overflow tank and the hood latch to get to some bolts and also had to remove the hood support I think. U can leave the condensor on the ac radiator (I dunno if it's actually called that) and unbolt it as a hole. The lines are the hardest part, mine didn't really unscrew they just twisted bent and broke. :dunno:

The electrical unplugs
The metal unbolts
The lines unscrew

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Um, your car is NA so 2-E is actually your NA ignitor, not the coil pack (you can tell the car is NA from the position of the PS res. in one of the pics). Either way, things that would be bad to remove include 1 A, B and 2 C,D,E as those things would cause your car not to work in a bad way. Removing cruise control and alarm horn won't hurt, but you'll have no alarm horn so be careful. make sure to remove the T in the vac lines on the cruise. the charcoal canister is useless (almost) but it can contain gas fumes (surprisingly a lot) and it gets filled with gas fumes, so redirect that hose going into it somewhere else. getting rid of the windshield wiper motors in front is kinda bad because i like windshield wipers and they're useful. removing the heater valve would also be a PITA because you'll have to do some reworking of those coolant lines there (or block them off? not sure of the effect of that tho). Overall, I'd stick with cruise control and charcoal canister only, plus AC if you really don't want it. if you're wanting to remove stuff to clean up the engine tho, there's a whole shitload of vac lines that can go if you remove the EGR and also you can replace the intake and resonator with something that looks nicer. that will clean shit up a lot.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
you can remove, ac and charcoal canister, there are more things that can be removed, i think there was a thread on it. ill post it if i can find it

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so far for all the help, I should've checked here before trying to remove that metal, now I have to put my headlights back on :)

WhoWants2Know, thanks and can you be more specific when referring to those vaccum lines?
I don't want to remove something that i need.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
it's been a while since i've worked on an NA (converted to turbo a while ago) but IIRC, the only things that need vac signal to work are cruise control, heater vsv, ps idle up, fuel pressure regulator, and EGR valve. if you remove the charcoal canister, you can remove all the vac lines leading to it (the one from the front that goes via AFM and Thermo housing, think it comes from manifold directly but check that one). also, you can just remove the EGR and get some block-off plates, and that will allow you to remove the vac lines that are associated with it, but be careful because your fuel pressure regulator ties into that system as well, so you'll have to reroute it to an alternate source of vacume. if your cruise and heater are gone, you can cap off the source of that line (should be the back of the manifold near firewall) or better yet, just reroute that one to your fuel pressure (that's what I did on my turbo engine) and get rid of all that other stuff too. post up a few good pics of your engine and I'll show you exactly what you can remove or change, otherwise I'm just trying to go off memory and it's hard to be too specific.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Krispyyy86 said:
Thanks for all the help drjonez.

I'm removing all this stuff as I think it makes my engine bay look tacky as hell.
I have no need for the AC as I have the targa off pretty much all the time, into lat November last year to be exact.

I don't see it as devaluing MY car, I see it as enhancing.

taking apart items that are needed for proper vehicular operation for the sake of "making it look cool" is indeed devaluing.

enhancing would be to make a cover for them so you cant see them and theyll look a bit better.

hrm..results would be...
stinky car
windshield wipers wont work
your car wouldnt start

yeah...that REALLY sounds like enhancement.

heres a pic of a better alternative and what I would call enhancement.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
is that will's supra? that cover it so nice, if they made them id take that over removing all that stuff

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
There have been so many threads about how to remove stuff, please search. I know for a fact there are tons of charcoal canister threads, as well as AC and PS. Removing cruise control and the horn is a 5 min job. Unbolt, unplug, and stuff any vac lines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts