Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone would like to share there air temps when dyno/racing high horsepower cars. Air temps will play a part in spool...

With my PT8891 on 40 psi boost I peak air temps at 60c on the track (half mile)
Ambient temp was about 25c (usually peak 55c in the 1/4 mile)

Has anyone been able to keep there air temps within good range of the ambient temperature?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
my temps are 1-5 degrees C .... but im spraying water meth ;-) . After a good pull or dyno runs , if you put your hand on my hypertune its cold to the touch .

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my temps are 1-5 degrees C .... but im spraying water meth ;-) . After a good pull or dyno runs , if you put your hand on my hypertune its cold to the touch .
Wow. 1-5C not 1-5c above the ambient temperature. I had no idea meth injection dropped it that much...

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I don't have actual numbers on hand, but I recall that when we added meth/water spray the IAT's went down a lot. That's the reason I use meth/water (rather than octane enhancement).

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have my AIT sensor right next to my throttle body in the intercooler piping.

I'm thinking about moving it half way between the cooler and the TB to minimize heat soak from the head.. Thoughts??

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I have tons of data.. last road coarse event outside temperature mid 80s (Fahrenheit), AIT after intercooler never rose above 98degF (36degC). Doing highway pulls 3rd, 4th, and top of 5th, 95degF hot humid weather, logs show it never topping 102 (38.8C). Although I spray meth, temperature sensor is placed well before it, right after the intercooler. Dyno also never goes more than 5degF above ambient from dozens of sessions I've completed.

You should see in the winter with 32degF weather, AITs never go above 32!

6768 33psi boost. I wasn't sure I believed it but I tested the sensor and AEM settings multiple times and it is correct. Hot boiling water showed 212degF. I do have my intake filter near the floor getting cool air from the bumper duct (my Avatar shows the filter location)

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tons of data.. last road coarse event outside temperature mid 80s (Fahrenheit), AIT after intercooler never rose above 98degF (36degC). Doing highway pulls 3rd, 4th, and top of 5th, 95degF hot humid weather, logs show it never topping 102 (38.8C). Although I spray meth, temperature sensor is placed well before it, right after the intercooler. Dyno also never goes more than 5degF above ambient from dozens of sessions I've completed.

You should see in the winter with 32degF weather, AITs never go above 32!

6768 33psi boost. I wasn't sure I believed it but I tested the sensor and AEM settings multiple times and it is correct. Hot boiling water showed 212degF. I do have my intake filter near the floor getting cool air from the bumper duct (my Avatar shows the filter location)
Great info, can I ask where you have placed the AIT sensor exactly?

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Sure, 6" after front mount exit pipe before it makes the upward climb towards the throttle body. Meth injection sprayers are about 14" afterwards.

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
Mine is in the intercooler pipe about 12 inches from the throttle body and as long as I am moving it stays 2-8 degrees hotter than outside air. Greddy 3 row and a 6766. Car makes a little over 900whp at high boost setting.

Steve K.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
One of my logs of a drag pass I have temps peaked at 158* (70*c) at the end of a 1/4 mile. Started at 113*(45*c). Was about 90*(~32*c) ambient. Sensor is a few inches from the TB, 6766 @ 36 psi, greddy 3 Row.

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is in the intercooler pipe about 12 inches from the throttle body and as long as I am moving it stays 2-8 degrees hotter than outside air. Greddy 3 row and a 6766. Car makes a little over 900whp at high boost setting.

Steve K.
I'll move my sensor to a simular area. Thanks for sharing info Steve.

One of my logs of a drag pass I have temps peaked at 158* (70*c) at the end of a 1/4 mile. Started at 113*(45*c). Was about 90*(~32*c) ambient. Sensor is a few inches from the TB, 6766 @ 36 psi, greddy 3 Row.

That's sounds about the same as me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dont know if my car qualify as a high horspower car, 635rwhp GT28 hybrids
55c iat on the dyno, 29psi. Ambient temperature 22c
Last night on end of the 1/8mile i got 57c, 31psi. Ambient somewhere around 10c

Cheap "china" cooler that came with my car

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I did some testing on an Ebay intercooler vs a custom one I put together:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?612563-Ebay-FMIC-vs-quot-Real-quot-FMIC-test-data&highlight=treadstone

This may give you some insight - but I noticed big differences in air temperatures.

An observation of mine a few years ago during testing:

"I don't know if treadstone uses Garrett cores... I didn't not feel comfortable using Treadstone cores.

I just got back from some massive highway pulls. I can post data later, but 2nd to top of 5th gear pulls:

- Ebay FMIC - started at 52degF, end top of 5th at 126degF.
- Garrett FMIC - started at 48degF 2nd gear, ended top of 5th at 80degF.

Can't compete with data."

Readings are higher than I posted in response to this thread earlier, but since then I've done many more changes to my setup which potentially helped reduce intake temps further.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sounds consistent with my brother's car as he had a cxracing or similar eBay 3" IC and recently swapped to a greddy 3row (4" deep) and it made a dramatic difference, iirc temps were down anywhere from 20-25 degrees on avg at idle and cruise

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dont know if my car qualify as a high horspower car, 635rwhp GT28 hybrids
55c iat on the dyno, 29psi. Ambient temperature 22c
Last night on end of the 1/8mile i got 57c, 31psi. Ambient somewhere around 10c

Cheap "china" cooler that came with my car
Good info GT28 !!! Where is the ait sensor located?

I did some testing on an Ebay intercooler vs a custom one I put together:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?612563-Ebay-FMIC-vs-quot-Real-quot-FMIC-test-data&highlight=treadstone

This may give you some insight - but I noticed big differences in air temperatures.

An observation of mine a few years ago during testing:

"I don't know if treadstone uses Garrett cores... I didn't not feel comfortable using Treadstone cores.

I just got back from some massive highway pulls. I can post data later, but 2nd to top of 5th gear pulls:

- Ebay FMIC - started at 52degF, end top of 5th at 126degF.
- Garrett FMIC - started at 48degF 2nd gear, ended top of 5th at 80degF.

Can't compete with data."

Readings are higher than I posted in response to this thread earlier, but since then I've done many more changes to my setup which potentially helped reduce intake temps further.
Top of 5th pulls on the street !!!! Wow, I was wondering how much of a difference eBay vs quality core would make. That's huge difference.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Garrett cores are hands down the best cores.

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its located in the intake manifold.
I placed it there as idle became more stable than having it located before the throttle body
So your results are ovious heat soak. Ambient temp 10c, AIT's 50+c.... I'm defiantly moving my sensor.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So where would a good intercooler core come from? Garrett? Treadstone? I looked at vibrant and they only had 1 rated for over 1khp. And it is 6in thick!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts