Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the title asks it all.
I would like a nice sounding BOV for my Auto 97.

I have heard a BOV can cause problems and not really worth getting for an AUTO. I dont really want a super loud one. Just one that works best for an AUTO.

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
On the contrary, with higher boost levels achieved at the bpu+ level, the stock BOV often cannot keep pace. In my case ('97 auto) I found that while backing off of a wide open throttle run, the car would jerk noticeably. This was caused by back pressure to the turbos by the stock BOV's inability to handle the higher boost. This was also NOT healthy for the turbos. I installed the HKS supepr sequential BOV in the hardpipe above the intake filter head and the problem is completely cured. I also like the sound of the HKS SS BOV.

I've used the Apexi' dual chamber BOV on another MKIV, but don't like the sound nearly as much as the HKS.

If you want to install the HKS in the stock BOV location, buy the HKS "kit" (around $225) which includes hoses and clamps. If you want to install the BOV onto a hardpipe, you'll want to order just the valve itself and either a steel or aluminum mounting flange (depending on the hardpipe you'll weld the flange to). The valve should cost you around $165 and another $20 for the flange.

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

Originallyposted by Shindo 97Supra
I guess the title asks it all.
I would like a nice sounding BOV for my Auto 97.

I have heard a BOV can cause problems and not really worth getting for an AUTO. I dont really want a super loud one. Just one that works best for an AUTO.

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
I see that you've installed an oil cooler. A much more critical component for you to install is an aftermarket tranny fluid cooler. Most of us who run auto's have learned that overheating the tranny fluid is the biggest contributor to shortening the life of the tranny. I'd do this right away if I were you.

John

·
Registered
482 Posts
John i thought that an after market BOV was not necessary for a BPU car. Also i was told that to get the full effect of the sound one would need a VPC so that it could b vent to atmosphere :p Any input !
regards. Yasir

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a tranny cooler kit, i need to update my mods...Thanks for the advice.

I mainly want the BOV for the sound, i dont think i need it, but i have some extra cash laying around.

Thanks again and sweet car bro!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts