Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What boost level can a stock engine, except for dp and exhaust, handle before other engine parts have to be upgraded, i know on 3000gts and stealths it is only about 15psi, but it seems to be much higher on supras, thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Im gonna venture a guess here, but I think you can go well into the 30+ psi range before you need to build up the engine internals... afterall a lot of the bigger turbo kits are made to be run that high on race fuel I think..

Doesnt Dusty/MVP's 8 second supra run 41lbs of boost? I know it was running 41lbs when they Dyno'd at 1200RWHP... Crazy!... The engine isnt stock though... so this was just a random blurb.

·
Registered
74 Posts
pooshda said:
Im gonna venture a guess here, but I think you can go well into the 30+ psi range before you need to build up the engine internals... afterall a lot of the bigger turbo kits are made to be run that high on race fuel I think..

Doesnt Dusty/MVP's 8 second supra run 41lbs of boost? I know it was running 41lbs when they Dyno'd at 1200RWHP... Crazy!... The engine isnt stock though... so this was just a random blurb.
I believe the limiting factor on a stock motor is valve springs. They can take up to 30 psi or so (doesn't mean safely, rather in most cases you'll be ok).

U

·
0 Posts
?????

So how much boost will the stock turbos hold with a MBC?

Stock setup?
Intake, exhaust, DP?

C

·
0 Posts
Supras have seen 870 rwhp on stock internals!!

The most I've seen people run on stock turbos is 23 -24 psi but that is way out of the efficiency range of the turbos.

·
3,148 Posts
The boost on a Supra will typically fall back to about 17psi by readline.

Later, Steve

U

·
0 Posts
soo...

So you are saying you can run 17psi safely on a stock Supra with just a boost controller?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Re: soo...

unvme9180 said:
So you are saying you can run 17psi safely on a stock Supra with just a boost controller?
It is recomended that you get a downpipe when you rase the boost because it's not great to push high boost through the stock cats. Also with the cat's you may not be abot to boost that high. To answer your question, most BPU Supra's run 18psi on the stock turbos.

V

·
0 Posts
You can run as much boost as the stock turbos can give without phasing the engine, and when you talk about the stock turbos rinning 20+ psi this is not the same as a single turbo rinning 20+ psi. The easiest way to explain this is a garden hose at 20 psi and a fire hose at 20 psi. Get the picture;)

B

·
0 Posts
V10KILLER said:
You can run as much boost as the stock turbos can give without phasing the engine, and when you talk about the stock turbos rinning 20+ psi this is not the same as a single turbo rinning 20+ psi. The easiest way to explain this is a garden hose at 20 psi and a fire hose at 20 psi. Get the picture;)
Excuse my ignorance, I'm just a newbie, are you saying that stock turbos can be pushed with more boost than aftermarket turbos?

D

·
0 Posts
HEY V10KILLER CAN YOU POST MORE PIC'S OF YOUR RIDE THAT THING IS CLEAN AS HELL!

T

·
0 Posts
after reading the original thread carefully i believe he might have been wondering how high can supras boost on the stock fuel system, without raising the fuel pressure etc.?

to clarify the info in the original post, the stealths/3000GT's stock fuel system can't keep up past about 14.7psi of boost, then it starts to run lean and melts pistons (kinda like the dude on 3SI.org spiking to 22psi on the stock fuel system:eek: , i really hope he turned that shit down)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts