Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just read about a hks ss bov causing stalling on a tt supra if you put it on the stock bov location b/c it bleeds air out.

i figure this means it wont work on my na/t setup b/c im keeping the maf....what bov's would work correctly and what would be best for a mex of 400whp

thanks
bob

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
let me start off by saying that i am... a moron

but if you bov shoots air, back into the intake... when why have a bov at all ?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
it blows air into the intake side of the turbo! thus relieving pressure. the hks design is great, it doesnt leak air (it's design prevents it) and it doesnt open up at idle (adjustable spring tesion) i have the hks unit, and love it.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
HKS SSQV will work with the stock MAF. Sounds great too.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool...yea i read last night after posting that you can by some small adaptor for like 12 bucks and then can reroute the air back to the intake.

SSSupra...can you still hear the BOV clearly when routed back to the intake? id imagine it would be considerably less audible compared to open atmosphere.

one for question...i still havnt learned enough...so the BOV releases the pressure....where would this pressure build up if it wasnt vented at all? id imagine it would build up agaisnt the Throttle body and then back up into the intake side of the turbine, is that correct?

if that is right...and you just vent back to the intake side...wont you still have the same amount of air there to get built up? or wontn the air be compressed as much?

thanks
Bob

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
BlackSupra93 said:
ok cool...yea i read last night after posting that you can by some small adaptor for like 12 bucks and then can reroute the air back to the intake.

SSSupra...can you still hear the BOV clearly when routed back to the intake? id imagine it would be considerably less audible compared to open atmosphere.

one for question...i still havnt learned enough...so the BOV releases the pressure....where would this pressure build up if it wasnt vented at all? id imagine it would build up agaisnt the Throttle body and then back up into the intake side of the turbine, is that correct?

if that is right...and you just vent back to the intake side...wont you still have the same amount of air there to get built up? or wontn the air be compressed as much?

thanks
Bob
This might answer you question

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149254

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
Ckanderson said:
it blows air into the intake side of the turbo! thus relieving pressure. the hks design is great, it doesnt leak air (it's design prevents it) and it doesnt open up at idle (adjustable spring tesion) i have the hks unit, and love it.

but isn't it coming from the intake..

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
The point is to save the turbo, when on boost you have pressure, when you change gears the throttle closes. The only place that pressure has to go is the turbo, it will try to back spool it thus ending the life of your turbo. Routing the air back to the intake puts it into the FRONT of the compressor. But you don't have to route it back with the SSQV so it doesn't matter, just put it on the car and don't worry about it.

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
supraman1993 said:
i picked up a greddy type s. anybody know how loud it is on a na-t?
never heard it on a supra but i have a friend who has it on his GS-T eclipse. Its pretty loud but kinda high pitched, I'll stick with my HKS SSQV :)

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SSSUPRA said:
The point is to save the turbo, when on boost you have pressure, when you change gears the throttle closes. The only place that pressure has to go is the turbo, it will try to back spool it thus ending the life of your turbo. Routing the air back to the intake puts it into the FRONT of the compressor. But you don't have to route it back with the SSQV so it doesn't matter, just put it on the car and don't worry about it.

why wont i have to vent it to intake? im going to be running my stock MAF.

i dont think anyone has answered this yet...

Can somone describe the difference in sound between open atmosphere and vented to intake BOV sounds?

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
SSSUPRA said:
lol, i'm a moron, i was thinkign they were dumping all this air in, after the turbo... i was like... so wtf is the point of that

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
Blacksupra93. I answered your questiion, the ssqv doesn't leak at idle so there is no need to route it back into the intake. When you are under acceleration it won't really matter when you change gears as long as you are back in the throttle quickly.;)

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SSSUPRA said:
Blacksupra93. I answered your questiion, the ssqv doesn't leak at idle so there is no need to route it back into the intake. When you are under acceleration it won't really matter when you change gears as long as you are back in the throttle quickly.;)
haha sorry..i mean answered as whether or not the sound changes when vented back to the intake...like is it audible.

As to venting to the intake...im auto...so i'd only blow off when i let off the gas after goin hard...no really in shifts...and thats what will make my car run rich and then die i thought..... have you seen this BOV run successfully on an NA-t with the Stock MAF and venting to the atmoshpere?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Blow off valve

the sound you hear when you recirculate the air out of the bov, will be less audible because the sound along with the air will be directed back into the intake...you still will beable to hear it though...i believe recirculating the air would be your best route...you will not have to worry about stalling at low speeds...the hks bov works great...i havn't had any leak problems.

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
how much boost will the HKS SSQV hold? I am thinking of putting the Type S on the GST and getting a SSQV it it will hold more boost. ....will it hold 25lbs?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
the ssq will hold as much boost as you want to, the design of it prevents it from leaking boost.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
i've got a TurboXS Type-H and it does not leak air under idle at all and sounds better than the HKS (which sounds like a high-pitched monkey sneeze)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts