• Castrol

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.6%
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
As far as why you might want to consider a heavier oil than 10w30, all my Supras have lost oil with Mobil One 10w30 aboard (but not with Castrol Syntec 10w30...which is not a TRUE synthetic). With Mobil One 15w50, I don't get any oil loss at all.

Probably doesn't apply to many here, but that is my primary reason for using 15w50 instead.

Steve T.
Thanks for the suggestion I'm going to give that a try...my supra likes to drink up the oil

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
Yep...none of my Supras leaked with any 10w30 oil but Mobil One 10w30. However, the Mobil One 15w50 does the trick for me.

Steve T.

G said:
I use Valvoline VR1 10W-30. Mobil 1 doesnt have the additives for seal. My car never leaked oil untill I switched over to M1. Switched over to Valvoline and the leaks went away.

· Kancho Battle Garage
1,851 Posts
For high performance engines 10W30 doesnt cut it. It is way to thin. And it doesn't have the sheer resistance and durabillity of a heavier oil. The only reason it is in cars, was to conform to CAFE fuel consumption regulations. There is a story for it but i don't know it off hand. You people should all be using 20W50 in the summer. Esspecially in turbo cars.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
the W number is just a winter grade number. It just tells you when and how high the viscosity of the oil is. In the case of 10W it will have a max of 3500cP at -20deg Celcius. Basically this just means this oil is not acceptable under -20deg C. 20W is 4500cP at -10deg C. The other number is also an indication of viscosity. 30 has a minimum viscosity of 9.3cSt, and 50 is 16.3cSt. Both of these are at 100deg C.

Not totally sure what use this is, but now you know. FWIW I use Redline 10W30. Maybe I will try a thicker oil come summer.

Daniel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Im using the Amsoil 10-30 and I notice a bit more comsuption of the oil....
So Im going to try a bit heavier one as you guys suggest.......Like the Mobil1 15w-50 or should I try the Amsoil 10W-40, 15W-40.....Which one would you guys recomend for me to switch to.

· Registered
599 Posts
i bought some castrol 5w-30 oil the other day - the label says it is better for high performance turbo engines - do you believe this? i'd really like to know cause i paid twice as much for it as 10w-40 oil thinking it would protect engine better.

· Kancho Battle Garage
1,851 Posts
10W40 can be used all year round in southern ontario, canada. But in places of high temperatures in the summer like southern united states 20W50 should be used.

· BPU is so 1997
6,833 Posts
jasonlee said:
i bought some castrol 5w-30 oil the other day - the label says it is better for high performance turbo engines - do you believe this? i'd really like to know cause i paid twice as much for it as 10w-40 oil thinking it would protect engine better.
Heck no. Take that shit back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So there is a bit of mixture on the grade of oil you guys use... from the factory 10w-30 to 10w-40 and 15w-50 seem to be the most common....

· SC Under Pressure
214 Posts
TE27Levin said:
For high performance engines 10W30 doesnt cut it. It is way to thin. And it doesn't have the sheer resistance and durabillity of a heavier oil. The only reason it is in cars, was to conform to CAFE fuel consumption regulations. There is a story for it but i don't know it off hand. You people should all be using 20W50 in the summer. Esspecially in turbo cars.
This flies in the face of every fact out there. Particularly when it comes to syns and there resistence to high temps. Go to google, type the words: engine damage oil viscosity

In essence high viscosity oil may not be adequately pumped because of being too thick at the low temperature at which the engine is started. At start up, lower viscosity oil will reduce internal engine friction.

But that relatively thinner oil is designed to work in conjunction with the tight engine clearances and provide adequate lubrication from a cold start-up in the winter in Minnesota to a blistering drive across the desert near Phoenix in the summer. If you use a heavier oil because you think it's "better," you'll not only be wrong, you're quite likely to cause your engine some damage since it won't be properly lubricated during start-up and in cooler weather. Furthermore, if you decide that if a range of 5W-30 is good, then 20w-50 must be better because it's a wider range, you'll also be wrong, since the things done to give that oil the wider range may not necessarily be what your engine needs.

The best oil for your car is what the manufacturer recommends. Use the correct viscosity as outlined in your owner's manual, purchase quality oil from a reputable company, change it regularly, and take good care of your car.

· Go All Electric
1,104 Posts
I have been running Amsoil 10w30 "Turbo formulated". If I wasn't running that then I would use Mobil 1 10w30 or 15w50 or an Amsoil equivalent. Mobil 1 is just always more accessable. I think the thinner oil is good for daily use/reliability and for factory/mildly modded performance motors. For a high HP motor being "raced" often ... I would probably go with the higher weight.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.