Supra Forums banner

would you buy a more powerful manual mkv?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 403 Posts

·
...pop the hood!
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if the powers to be at toyota were listening and could offer something within reason with the current mkv to win you back….what would it be?

when i say "within reason" obviously they don't have any brand new 2jzgte's laying around to throw in engine bay...but maybe something more powerful would draw you in?

would 500+ hp and manual at the current price point get you to purchase one, or is it just too far gone for you to stomach?

saw this vid and wondered if it would make any difference to anyone here...

·
...pop the hood!
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some of these yt comments lol...

Because people are so butthurt about the A90 Supra using a BMW engine, i'd love to piss these hate-bandwagon riding sheep off even more by getting an A80 supra and do a B58 swap. Could be good for youtube views $$$, regardless of the amount of death threats received from triggered fangirls/keyboard warriors/armchair critics stuck in their Fast & Furious delusional hollywood bubble]

y JDM only friends are livid about all this.

Like my friend who has a RX7...with a wankle

No one worried about Japan and Germany working together again? Ok.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
A new closed deck engine is a step in the right direction, if made beefier.

Can't wait to talk about the internals once they get tested from the SUV.

Since the stock JZ pistons and internals have done 1000whp/8's in the 1/4 mile with several well documented examples, I think the new "S" engine may be the ticket.

Looking forward to seeing more about it.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
if the powers to be at toyota were listening and could offer something within reason with the current mkv to win you back….what would it be?

when i say "within reason" obviously they don't have any brand new 2jzgte's laying around to throw in engine bay...but maybe something more powerful would draw you in?

would 500+ hp and manual at the current price point get you to purchase one, or is it just too far gone for you to stomach?
Remove BMW and Add Toyota.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
143 Posts
In all honesty... I think my desire for cool cars is just too focused on the 90's. Even if I had a ton of cash to spend and the new Supra looked better, I probably still wouldn't buy one. I'd rather buy more 90's cars or a newer diesel truck. I hope it does grow on the new generation though and that maybe Toyota will start making oem replacement parts for the classics.

·
Boost Junkie
12,603 Posts
Nothing. I would never consider it. I'd rather purchase a real Toyota and have no interest in this car (I still can't call it a Supra). I'm looking at a GS-F now to replace my BMW daily driver.

Steve K.

Reactions: Driver005S

·
JetFire
5,371 Posts
Since they are already friends with benefits with BMW might as well have a second baby aka MKV with the S58 with a 6spd manual.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It should have at least came with the 382hp B58. Also throw in a MT. Appearances wise, take off those fugly @ss BMW mirrors and who in the world thought those hideous two tone wheels looked good?

·
Wheel Whore
2,317 Posts
For me, one of the biggest gripes with the design of the B58 is the fact that the timing chain faces the firewall. I had an E39 M5 and as much as I loved that car, the nightmarish sub $4k it took to replace the timing chain guides makes me never wanting to own one again.

But for the sake of the discussion, even if they installed a 500+ HP S58 with a manual transmission can't overcome the BRZ profile that it has. And even if they did install the S58 with a manual I would imagine the prices would near $70K which I would still spend on a properly built MKIV over any BMW.

Additionally, i can't stand any of Revmatch's videos. He's drives new BMW's, doesn't seem like he has much mechanical inclinability to make a clear assessment on how terrible BMWs are from a mechanic standpoint because he seems like the guy that will just drop itoff at the dealer anytime something goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Remove BMW and Add Toyota.
+1

Nothing. I would never consider it. I'd rather purchase a real Toyota and have no interest in this car (I still can't call it a Supra). I'm looking at a GS-F now to replace my BMW daily driver.

Steve K.
+1

In all honesty, for me, they really can't do anything to this to make me want it. It's not a Toyota, it's a BMW. And any changes/upgrades made to it would just be bandaid/cosmetic type changes. The core of the vehicle would remain the same.

The MKV Supra for me was DOA. Will wait for the upcoming 300ZX Turbo or MR2 (hopefully either turbo/supercharged) models to regain my sporting Japanese interests or the MKVI Supra in 7-8 years time.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
IMO, this could have been a better outcome.

Toyota re-do the contract with BMW for them to only supply the B58 long block and the current version of Getrag/Magna 6 speed transmission since they will be coming out of the same factory. They just unveiled that the Morgan Plus Six is using B58 engines. Those engines and transmissions would be sent to Toyota Japan, QA tested and re-engineered. Use the RC frame, tweak it, strengthen and lighten it some more. Let Toyota engineers design the exterior and interior w/out any Lexus influence (no Predator grille).

·
JetFire
5,371 Posts
^^^100% agree. What would be the price point and power output though.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
^^^100% agree. What would be the price point and power output though.
It would have to be near M4 territory as far as price and power so around 60-75K. An NA with 350hp and the turbo with 450hp would be reasonable with a 6 speed and DCT.

Toyota could drop some significant amount of the weight by not packing it with all of the luxury items like the RC. All of the sound insulation, wiring harnesses, thicker interior panels, sound system, leather everywhere, dual exhaust are all extra weight. It won't be a traditional hatchback like all Supras but I think this route would have won over Supra fanatics and car enthusiasts who have been waiting for a bonafide Supra sucessor.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Toyota re-do the contract with BMW for them to only supply the B58 long block and the current version of Getrag/Magna 6 speed transmission since they will be coming out of the same factory. They just unveiled that the Morgan Plus Six is using B58 engines. Those engines and transmissions would be sent to Toyota Japan, QA tested and re-engineered. Use the RC frame, tweak it, strengthen and lighten it some more. Let Toyota engineers design the exterior and interior w/out any Lexus influence (no Predator grille).
That chassis is awful. After the RC ends its production run Toyota isn't going to use it for anything else in the future. They're all going to GA-L.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That chassis is awful. After the RC ends its production run Toyota isn't going to use it for anything else in the future. They're all going to GA-L.

Awful because Top Gear said so? :lol: I remember seeing an additional sticker next to the MSRP sticker stating that the front predator grille can only sustain a 5mph impact. If you look through the predator grille, there is a good several inches of space before you see the actual bumper.

The RC is awful because it's an overweight automatic coupe with V6 and big V8 engines. Sales are at a bottom low because the honeymoon stage is over for mediocre performance at a premium level. GA-L is Lexus' division but Toyota, being the lower division, could still make use of the RC chassis. Toyota can still improve it, strengthen it all while keeping weight as a major priority.

Then marry it with a teq riveted stamp on the B58 block that will now be called T58GTE (similar to the GE T58 turbine engines) and a 6 speed transmission. In this case, it would be designed and built in house by Toyota. Toyota wins and BMW is left picking their ass. The MKV is a huge success, Toyota is back, the Supra legacy is valiantly restored and the competition is starting to get scared.

Then again, this is all hypothetical. :lol:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just bring back the MKIV...with restyled headlights and tail-lights......punch the 2JZ out to atleast 3.6 liter's with a modern medium sized turbo making around 500 hp, with a manual transmission ......price it around 60K and Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
425+hp stock, 6MT trans option, 5x114.3 wheel hubs with studs, same price point. That'd get me to at least consider the notion that it isn't a complete fucking turd.

A MK4 style analog cockpit dash, double wishbone suspension and a proper mechanical LSD, and remove all the BMW e-Diff garbage and BMW infotainment fuckery (seriously all I need is a stereo and HVAC, I don't need a fucking home theatre system mixed with fucking skynet it's a goddamn car.) would definitely improve my perception of the car even if that raised the price a bit.

To become a 100% believer, RRnold has the right idea, implementing all of the above.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
425+hp stock, 6MT trans option, 5x114.3 wheel hubs with studs, same price point. That'd get me to at least consider the notion that it isn't a complete fucking turd.

A MK4 style analog cockpit dash, double wishbone suspension and a proper mechanical LSD, and remove all the BMW e-Diff garbage and BMW infotainment fuckery (seriously all I need is a stereo and HVAC, I don't need a fucking home theatre system mixed with fucking skynet it's a goddamn car.) would definitely improve my perception of the car even if that raised the price a bit.

To become a 100% believer, RRnold has the right idea, implementing all of the above.
:lol: Yeah, no Skynet, acoustic engine noises, digital tach, fake vents, fake exhaust tips on the lower bumpers, infotainment with the current fablet-propped-on-the-dashboard, Predator grille, crying tail lights, Mark Levinson sound.

There's too much unnecessary b/s in modern car design these days.

Toyota could have made it simple with cloth interior, mechanical HVAC controls, non power seats, 4 speakers, 2+2 with rear seats for the kids, dbl wishbone suspension, LSD, a damn 6 speed, pumping out 400+hp and weighing in at under 3500 lbs.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Politics and regulations are getting in the way.

Lots of useless things, from an enthusiasts' point of view.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Had similar thoughts on the RC's shell the other day after sitting next to one in traffic. Such a shame the MKV looks the way it does, and I though Toyota would try the least to butcher a classic model.

1 - 20 of 403 Posts