Supra Forums banner

would you buy a more powerful manual mkv?

• Total voters
361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
anyone notice in that vid they mentioned this vette was configured to have either right hand or left hand drive?

i wonder how good this will sell in other countries like europe and japan? looks like it could put the damper on zupr4 sales
It depend on its price over there, if Cadillac's pricing in the UK is any indication, tariffs on non European cars could be the reason.

Attachments

·
iSPOOL
1,382 Posts
Two just got delivered to my dealer. It’s so so much worse in person
Maybe if you take a tire iron to it, it would improve its appearance ?.

Reactions: CheckElbow

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know I feel bad and a bit guilty... And finally James May I’m sorry, truly I am, I now understand the “fizz”. When I saw pictures of the C8 I was like mmm looks good I’d throw a 100k down for it and I was already estimating future Zo6, ZR1 prices and mods on top.

Then they said the normal one with 495hp starts at 60k, boom I understood the fizz. Seriously for 60k I was like that is cheap, that’s a deal, that’s way more value for money than I was expecting. I can’t think of another car that comes close to value for money.

I was blown away, less money than my 2018 F-250 that I daily.

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
JetFire
5,371 Posts
^^^I wonder what the dealer markups will be once they are out October.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think some dealers will try to mark the C8 up, but i suspect most can be had for MSRP since the production volume will be high. Chevy always seems to offer incentives to get people in new Corvettes. They were offering somewhere in the range of $20k off MSRP for new Z06's for the past few years.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The videos I've seen all have dealers saying that they will honor the C8 MSRP.

It's not a complicated thing, they have already have figured out how to get you coming and going. A ton of profit is built into the MSRP.

They'd make a killing at 50k. No point in mucking things up when they will sell well at MSRP. Sell cheaper, sell faster.

·
...pop the hood!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
toyota needs to re-name the 'launch' edition zupr4 to 'lunch' edition because the base model c8's will be having them for lunch...

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
The videos I've seen all have dealers saying that they will honor the C8 MSRP.

It's not a complicated thing, they have already have figured out how to get you coming and going. A ton of profit is built into the MSRP.

They'd make a killing at 50k. No point in mucking things up when they will sell well at MSRP. Sell cheaper, sell faster.
Looks like CheckElbow nailed it. I posted an article in the MKV/C8 comparison thread quoting the GM Design Chief saying the first year's production of the C8 is ("very nearly") sold out. You might want to check it out and read about the future of the Z4 at the same time.

Ken.

·
...pop the hood!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
as i had mentioned before...i had reserved a mkv at a couple dealerships few years ago. just got a call/text from the other one giving me first shot. of course ive changed my mind since then because of obvious reasons, but i did want to give anyone in the dfw / tx / ok area a shot at it.

its a red launch ed scheduled to arrive soon. they were aware of them selling for $80-85k and above, but were offering it to me for $67574. im sure that could prob be negotiated. if anyone is interested, pm me and i'll get you in contact with the sales guy i bought one of my tacomas from. im gonna post this notice in my other zupr4 threads too.

Reactions: CheckElbow

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some new reactions from Tada on what to expect in the coming model years in an AB interview:

"Toyota's performance strategy is curious. Even though the company has a rich history of sports cars, it chose to team up with partners for its last two projects, the 86 and the 2020 Toyota Supra. The man behind both of them is Tetsuya Tada and I recently sat down with him to talk about the future of Toyota's latest sports car.

While the 86 was co-developed with Subaru, who sells the model as the BRZ, the Supra was developed in concert with the third-generation BMW Z4. It's a cooperation that took some time to get off the ground. Initially, BMW's then-CEO Herbert Diess, now head of Volkswagen, wanted to jointly develop a successor of the i8, but Tada declined. After Diess' departure, talks resumed.

But while BMW was interested in continuing the Z4 in the form of a somewhat more lazy cruiser, Tada-san made sure the joint project turned out to be a serious sports car. And a drive in the Supra will reveal that Toyota's tuning is more in line with its performance purpose than BMW's convertible – even though the BMW, in its six-cylinder form, packs a whopping 382 horsepower, significantly more than the 335-horsepower Supra.

I spoke with Tada-san about the reaction to his car - and about where it could go next. One thing is clear: The 335-horsepower rating is not the end of the road.

"With a sports car, the promise is to offer more performance with each additional version," he said. And we can expect additional versions pretty much every year.

While Tada won't confirm actual figures, we believe that the six-cylinder version of the Supra will get an additional 50 horsepower or so when it is facelifted in about three years. But even before, there will be performance upgrades, such as available carbon-ceramic brakes.

Tada also told us what not to expect: There will be no manual transmission, despite an outcry in parts of the enthusiast community over the lack of a row-it-yourself shifter. His advice: "Customers who want a manual should choose the Toyota 86."

What about a roadster version? That's unlikely to happen as well, as there is already such a model: the BMW Z4. "The relationship between the Supra and the Z4 resembles the relationship between the Porsche Cayman and Boxster," Tada ventures.

Of course, there is more differentiation. While the Supra offers exactly two driving modes, tuned to perfection, the BMW Z4 comes with a vast number of modes and two transmission maps to fiddle with. The BMW's steering is also overly heavy, in an artificial effort at sportiness. On the other hand, BMW is one step ahead when it comes to the infotainment system: In the interest of reliability, Toyota says it chose to stick with BMW's previous generation.

A quick spin with Tada-san behind the Supra's wheel confirms its legitimate sports car credentials. And it makes me want more of the higher-performance future variants he hints at. He smiles:
"We have many ideas."

·
iSPOOL
1,382 Posts
Some new reactions from Tada on what to expect in the coming model years in an AB interview:

"Toyota's performance strategy is curious. Even though the company has a rich history of sports cars, it chose to team up with partners for its last two projects, the 86 and the 2020 Toyota Supra. The man behind both of them is Tetsuya Tada and I recently sat down with him to talk about the future of Toyota's latest sports car.

While the 86 was co-developed with Subaru, who sells the model as the BRZ, the Supra was developed in concert with the third-generation BMW Z4. It's a cooperation that took some time to get off the ground. Initially, BMW's then-CEO Herbert Diess, now head of Volkswagen, wanted to jointly develop a successor of the i8, but Tada declined. After Diess' departure, talks resumed.

But while BMW was interested in continuing the Z4 in the form of a somewhat more lazy cruiser, Tada-san made sure the joint project turned out to be a serious sports car. And a drive in the Supra will reveal that Toyota's tuning is more in line with its performance purpose than BMW's convertible – even though the BMW, in its six-cylinder form, packs a whopping 382 horsepower, significantly more than the 335-horsepower Supra.

I spoke with Tada-san about the reaction to his car - and about where it could go next. One thing is clear: The 335-horsepower rating is not the end of the road.

"With a sports car, the promise is to offer more performance with each additional version," he said. And we can expect additional versions pretty much every year.

While Tada won't confirm actual figures, we believe that the six-cylinder version of the Supra will get an additional 50 horsepower or so when it is facelifted in about three years. But even before, there will be performance upgrades, such as available carbon-ceramic brakes.

Tada also told us what not to expect: There will be no manual transmission, despite an outcry in parts of the enthusiast community over the lack of a row-it-yourself shifter. His advice: "Customers who want a manual should choose the Toyota 86."

What about a roadster version? That's unlikely to happen as well, as there is already such a model: the BMW Z4. "The relationship between the Supra and the Z4 resembles the relationship between the Porsche Cayman and Boxster," Tada ventures.

Of course, there is more differentiation. While the Supra offers exactly two driving modes, tuned to perfection, the BMW Z4 comes with a vast number of modes and two transmission maps to fiddle with. The BMW's steering is also overly heavy, in an artificial effort at sportiness. On the other hand, BMW is one step ahead when it comes to the infotainment system: In the interest of reliability, Toyota says it chose to stick with BMW's previous generation.

A quick spin with Tada-san behind the Supra's wheel confirms its legitimate sports car credentials. And it makes me want more of the higher-performance future variants he hints at. He smiles:
"We have many ideas."
Why haven't higher horsepower versions of the 86 been released yet? I thought that was a major concern for that community. I'm just skeptical when I see anything from him lol.

·
...pop the hood!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
so all the hinting at a manual version was hogwash?

Reactions: Shady 2jz

·
...pop the hood!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
edit - dbl post

361 - 380 of 402 Posts