Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know under powering a subwoofer will cause it to die..
but what about overpowering it?

Amp: 775rms @ 2 ohm
Sub: Kicker L7 450rms max.

is that too much power and will cause the sub to blowup/die? or am i good as long as i don't turn it on too loud.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
overpowering a speaker is hard to do...but what ur running should be fine. Ive seen subs get damaged because the box wasn't properly vacuumed out and the excess saw dust caught fire and damage the driver

·
Registered
261 Posts
A sub will usually blow from distortion. Even if the amp is much more than the subs you can just turn down the gain for better SQ. Right now I run a 2KW x 2 into my Jl 12 W3s (rated for 250 or 350W each) and turn down the gain for the best SQ.

I have 400W RMS into my MB Quart 6 1/2 components and do the same thing to maximize SQ.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,922 Posts
What could cause a subwoofer to blow up?
buying a kicker perhaps? :dunno:

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
88supramkiii said:

:lol: i wasn't gonna go there.... but i'll 2nd that

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What sub should i get that doesn't break the bank? the 2 amp i'm getting is MTX

1 is a 4 channel to power all 4 of my speakers..
the amp is pushing 90rms each @ 4ohm.

the other mtx is a 500d
450rms @ 4ohm
750rms @ 2ohm

---------------------

i'm sticking with those 2 amps and looking for a good/decent sub that doesn't break the bank and something i can keep for a long time.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
i don't know why people think underpowering a speaker will kill it. what hurts speakers is distortion like flexysteve8 said. also the box will make a difference too. did you have the right size box for the sub? did you over heat it? was your gain turned all the way up to where it wasn't even playing music anymore? what frequency is your filter set at?

·
1,922 Posts
supralover93 said:
i don't know why people think underpowering a speaker will kill it.

uhhhh, because it's been proven that it does kill them...:dunno:

if you're underpowering the woofer, you make your amp work harder to get the output you need. it's just a bad situation for both parties.

·
Banned
888 Posts
88supramkiii said:

that is quality sound that really will not blow.

·
Let's go Phils
624 Posts
Underpowering causes distortion. If your sub isn't performing due to low power whats the first thing everyone does,.........turn the amp up! It's always better to gain a large amp down then gain a smaller amp up. I used to hate kicker too, but the new 06 L7's have impressed the hell out of me. They also have a very low failure rate, better than jl audio, diamond audio, and several other big names.

·
1,922 Posts
allshoandgo said:
that is quality sound that really will not blow.

could you rephrase that in a complete sentence please?

are you saying that kicker is good quality? perhaps....but they sound like dirt in my honest opinion. i hope he runs through their whole supply of woofers :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
under powering will destroy a subwoofer as will over powering. By not feeding the sub enough power for its potential it will cause distortion same goes for feeding to much power, again distortion.

·
mach chicken
1,033 Posts
flexysteve8 said:
A sub will usually blow from distortion. Even if the amp is much more than the subs you can just turn down the gain for better SQ. Right now I run a 2KW x 2 into my Jl 12 W3s (rated for 250 or 350W each) and turn down the gain for the best SQ.

I have 400W RMS into my MB Quart 6 1/2 components and do the same thing to maximize SQ.
. didnt have to read past this...

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
supralover93 said:
i don't know why people think underpowering a speaker will kill it. what hurts speakers is distortion like flexysteve8 said.
where do you think distortion comes from? - from underpoweing a driver.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
primarily thermal overload at the coil causes a sub to blow. but what causes that is DISTORTION when shopping for amps everyone looks at the output. you want to look at amps that are rated at the power your woofer can hanlde RMS and still produce said power with relativly low THD. most high end amps now adays have decent THD ratings but the lower the better. when shopping for amps i'de sacrifice 50watts for a amp rated at a lower THD because it will drive the woofer in a more linear pattern. running the woofer more efficiently and probraly out producing (volume wise) over a higher rated wattage amp due to less imperfections in musical reproduction due to signal degridation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts