Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a clay bar kit,
My car really needs it, it's got tree sap and grim etc.

I was looking at the different clay bar kits, and some have a lubricant....
doe sit really need it??
I mean all I really need to do is wash it really well and then use the clay, no?

Anyways, whichs kits have you tried and what are your opinions?
Thanks

·
Registered
934 Posts
its irrelevant if a claybar has lubricant or not... its not that important...(guess it cant hurt).

anywayz clay bar will remove overspray and foreign substance (like brake dust) that are lodged in your clearcoat. its very effective as in it will remove things that soap cannot. the reason why i said any lubricant is not the issue is because of the way u use claybar. i'll explain in details....

first you wash the car. then working in small sections, you spray a lightly soapy solution or detailing spray and run the clay bar with minimum pressure on the surface a few times. then you wipe away any liquid. u move on when claybar glides across the surface smoothly, keep going abit more if it feels alil gritty. check the claybar often so when the surface of the clay gets dirty, fold it in itself to bring a clean out a clean side.

stubborn things like tree sap may take a few extra swipes to pick up, or if the sap is too dry/old, it wont clean it. i know its redundant to say this but make sure after claying u get a nice coat of wax because the claybar WILL remove ANY wax on the surface as well as any foreign imbedded material. hope i covered all ur questions.

·
Registered
934 Posts
forgot to add , i'll give u a lil extra advice that many dont know (but will) !

i read this from a pro detailer article, simple test to see if u need clay baring. take a thin plastic sandwitch bag and put ur hands in it. run ur hands with the bag across ur paint after u wash the car. for some reason ur senses will be hightened and u will really feel any grit that u may not by running ur hands on the paint surface barehanded. weird huh, but try it. trust me, it works.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
I personally like to use the Wolfgang elastic poly clay bar!

so much better than the meguire's and whatever clay bar out there, i've tried em all.
here's a website that sells them: http://store.auto-geek.net/wg9000.html
and they give you 2 thick bars for so much cheaper!
ck out the deals/packages they have for it.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys,

Mifesto, yeah it's definitely gritty now :sad: :tear:
I've been putting this off since last summer :( Doh

·
Registered
934 Posts
i only clay about twice or three times a year.... maybe in the beginning of spring to really get a spotless clean coming out of winter/salt, once in the summer to help remove all the bug/tars, and once before winter to prep it.

yeah just dont do it in direct hot sun cuz watever lubrication u spray will evaporate quickly and the clay will just stick. if ur careful with that, the type of lubricant isnt a big issue as long as u dont let it dry on ur paint.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Clay Magic works fine for me, use it quite often at the shop,and don't forget there are different claybars for small contaminants (sp) and big,usually it would come in two colors,like reddish and the other one is blues,as far as tree sap, do not use claybar to remove that shit, use nailpolish remover on soft cloth, it will wipe it right off,

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
I've used the Mothers and Clay magic ones. Both work fine but the Clay magic is half the price. Probably because the Mothers includes "detailer" spray as lube but clay magic just uses this soapy water.
Regardless, I dont use any included lube since I find that use car soap is easier/quicker/cheaper. Just wash the car off as normal, then just put car soap over small areas of the car, run the clay bar over it, and wash off the soap. Move to next small portion. Do some hw online and you'll find alot of ppl recommend the car soap method as well.

·
Single Turbo
711 Posts
I've only used Zaino and it's perfect.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Used both Mothers and Meguires and they both work well. I prefer the Meguires kits now though because they include a microfiber cloth as well for the same price! :bigthumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts