Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those who have a r154 swapped into there mk4 tt supra..whats a decent clutch kit to purchase when your HP goals are 600-650 hp max? ive been looking at southbend and ACT xtreme but i will be using this for a daily during the summer and was looking for something that wouldnt give crank walk or hard on my foot

·
Registered
356 Posts
Both those companies are probably your best bet. I was looking at act but its just too pricey. So I emailed southbend and asked about modding my stock pressure plate and modding the stock disk to 550 ftlbs for $375. So I think that is my best option and might be good for you also.

·
boost life
2,502 Posts
I'm at 600 and use exedy twin disk and truly love it. Soft pedal, no chatter .i can even move off without revving

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm aiming for 600whp and I'm using a act xtreme pressure plate with a 6 puck unsprung disc. This combo is supposed to be good for 632ft-lbs. I haven't driven the car with it yet though, so no feedback there. At 600whp, you're pushing the limit of what any r154 single disc clutch can handle. From the reading I did, unless you are going to invest in a twin or triple disc, don't expect to get a clutch that is very easy to drive that can hold that much power. Any single that can hold that much you are risking crank walk, so definitely disconnect the neutral safety switch. Also make sure you take your time and go through a proper disc break in procedure before cranking the boost up.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup definetly , already disconnected the neutral safety switch and i honestly wish i could afford a twin disk but with my power goals i might jest keep it under 600hp with a decent clutch kit...i dont drag or street race etc...i cruise but there are time when i want to get on it so the car wont be lazy lol..so i just want insurance of a clutch that can handle my goals..my car currently have a Soarer r154 with MC internals and 2 out of the 3 forks upgraded to the DM version..when i had my trans built they never had the 3rd fork available which i believe was the reverse fork..i use redline fluid as well

·
Banned
451 Posts
Call South Bend and ask about this clutch K16063-SS-B it's Rated 600 ft lbs and is very street friendly. Also just a FYI South bend often time under rate there clutches. I have seen this clutch surpass the 600 ft lbs on a dyno

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was leaning towards there endurance clutch kit but if K16063-SS-B is street friendly then why not the price is far off

·
Registered
59 Posts
South Bend is the way to go. Heard nothing but good things from anyone that has run it.

·
Banned
451 Posts
i was leaning towards there endurance clutch kit but if K16063-SS-B is street friendly then why not the price is far off
Hey give South Bend a call @ 1-800-988-4345 and ask for John. From what he told me the endurance is a drag race clutch. But give him a call and he can explain better to you. Also the price went up quit a bit from the last time I check.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wonder what makes the SB clutch kit any different then a ACT clutch kit? materials they use?

·
Banned
451 Posts
Boosting94TT did you reach out John at South Bend?

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes sir ..I have a friend who had a stage 3 drag 6 puck clutch he had laying around and was dynoed without the clutch breaking in so the clutch slipped so I had a part he needed and just end up trading so I'll have the pressure plate n disk shipped to SB for a rebuild

·
Registered
392 Posts
I always had good luck with southbend.... Strongly recommend them.

·
Banned
451 Posts
from what I understand you will need a 500 Miles break in on stop and go traffic with the clutch before going on a Dyno.

·
2,275 Posts
+1 for southbend.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey Peters, i went with the K16063-SS-B also your right this is what jon recommended for my set up as well

·
Registered
59 Posts
from what I understand you will need a 500 Miles break in on stop and go traffic with the clutch before going on a Dyno.
I'm current breaking in the SB clutch on my MK4. It's so hard to resist doing pulls, but I hear it's worth it! :O

1 - 20 of 25 Posts