Supra Forums banner
6281 - 6300 of 6329 Posts

·
Registered
1987 MK3 Supra Non-Turbo (Getting 2JZ-GE Swapped)
67 Posts
Well, I guess I'm the dumbest man on the planet, I was getting the pistons and rods into my new-to-me 2JZ, and I didn't realize the rods were directional. There goes a whole day of work. I also managed to snap a piston ring somehow, so I can only get 5/6 of my pistons in.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
375 Posts
Well, I guess I'm the dumbest man on the planet, I was getting the pistons and rods into my new-to-me 2JZ, and I didn't realize the rods were directional. There goes a whole day of work. I also managed to snap a piston ring somehow, so I can only get 5/6 of my pistons in.
Take it slowly and make sure you do every step as properly as possible. You’ll be working on it for a long time and in the end you have to trust every step was done the correct way. There are a couple of things I cannot remember specifically doing.., and the fear is they will come back to bite me. Those damn oil gallery plugs, I can’t remember putting them back in the crank … surely I must have, but if I didn’t, years of work is wasted. Be careful and conscious and you’ll be okay. Much better to catch things now than to fail later. You can do this, you’re not dumb :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Was relieved to find this piece today. When I was putting the cams back in the head I lost two of these and found one. I used a new one from the dealer, but was always a little worried that it was in my engine. Corner to corner cleaning of the garage today and I found it. One less thing to go wrong when I finally get to start my engine.

Water Liquid Fluid Circle Drop

Tired as can be, but very pleased 1) to have found this, and 2) for the garage to be ready to take the car back inside.

I clearly marked the floor space with red L-shaped markings, 6 feet by 16 feet. Previously I had a yellow dot at this points, so I know it fits, but this change makes it easier to see. I also made a bit of space by moving all narrow objects against the wall (basically, shelves) to be on one side of the garage, and all wide things, like tables and work benches, to be on the other. It was a no brainer... don't know why I didn't figure that one out a year or two ago.

I had permission from the resident manager to be parked outside my garage for three weeks and that was pretty close to ten months ago. I will do it again when it's time to pull the drive train again, but for now, it's coming inside. Not putting her up on jack stands... there's very little to do done under the car these days.

I can still push her out of the garage into the driveway, and I have a Harbor Freight winch bolted to the ground to pull her back inside. This way I can move it around without help. Oh for the day when I push the button and she moves under her own power.

It was 98 degrees here most of the day. That's just too hot. The guy in the next garage was working on his truck, grinding, cutting and welding. It was definitely too hot for that today.

Hope you all had a great day! What's going on this weekend?

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
641 Posts
Finally cleaning the spiderwebs off mine.
Get to work on my own Supra for once this year.
Fitting:
-Old Larger Group A 3000 pipe
-New Accordion hose
-New turbo coolant hoses and gaskets
-Take some slack out of the throttle assembly
-Weld / fab up some new Al intercooler hard lines
-Mount my big Spearco intercooler-
-Other random stuff

I'll be lucky if I make it through this list by the end of next month.
Have to travel to Detroit soon for work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How much of the friction modifier did you end up adding in?
4 oz of the Ford Friction modifier is how much I ended up using.
I started with 2 oz; drove it for about 12 miles around town and was getting chatter almost 80% of the time when going thru corners. I put another 2 oz. and it got way better on the next drive. It did chatter two more times when I took a sharp corner into driveway with slight uphill, but after that it smooth out. I did a couple of left and right hand 360's and the rearend was smooth.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
641 Posts
Yeah the MKIII diffs quiet down very fast.
The MKII diffs on the other hand take 400-500 miles to break in the LSD upgrade fully.
Different animal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah the MKIII diffs quiet down very fast.
That's what got me, I thought I put too much since it got quiet right away, lol.
After I drain the diff oil at 500 miles; I'm thinking that I will add the friction modifier in smaller amounts (1/2 oz at a time) until it quiets down.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
641 Posts
Yup, good plan!
You might not need much at all.
Plus that stuff smells TERRIBLE!
Hah

·
Registered
375 Posts
Started disassembly of the pieces on the top of the engine so I can get to the coils and complete my spark and fuel wiring harnesses. Also preparing to replace the connectors on the CPS. Spent a bunch of time examining and organizing my first two rounds of pin purchases. Tried to find spares for the CPS as they also work in the TEMS connectors, and I will be shortening those wires which means depinning and new terminals required. While I'm in this area I have to rotate the two halves of the turbo housing to make room for everything that has to go down there. Dusted off three shelves that hadn't been dusted since 2017 and found several projects that might need reviving. Two completely functioning DSO-138 oscilloscopes -- although they seem to function slightly differently than each other. Also a box of spares for them, like, another kit or two robbed for parts at some point. Damn there's some fun stuff on those shelves: a couple of battery charges, a box of LI-ON batteries and all the fixings to make battery packs, both Raspberry Pi and Arduino shields and cases, several Arduinos, both Uno and Mega.. one stacked five shields high. Some of those pieces will end up in my console on the Supra. Two 12v to 5v buck converters to run the two RBPs that will float above the gear shift on an articulated arm coming out of the console. I have them stable on 12 volts now, was getting "low power" warnings for months. My keyless push-to-start button is powered by an Arduino. That will take 7 to 11 volts, and is possibly 12 volt tolerant, well, 12 volt might as well be 13.6 volts, so I will try to get another buck converter to go down to 9 volts... the best value I've found for that MCP. On the bench I have been powering Arduinos with 9 volts, and I've really never tried using 13.6 on them. My new ECU is a "production" device, so I suspect it won't need a buck converter. (I may use one anyway. We'll see). The car is easy to access in the garage this time. Things are about as organized as they've ever been here in eight years. All the extra room when it's outside was nice, but it's so much more comfortable with her inside. I say "her", her name is Dana. When I bought her, this 1988 quarter and ceramic heart were under the driver's seat. It says "Dana". "Dayna" was to have been my second child's name had he been the girl we were expecting. The name stuck. Her name is Dana.

Guitar accessory Font Circle Currency Electric blue

Gathering information on flex fuel and figuring out what I don't know about it. It will be a YouTube afternoon today with any luck.

Hope you have a good one, too.

-David

·
Registered
379 Posts
i have called the shop to check on my black supra , I was told it is done and ready for pickup.. picking up tomorrow and doing some wheels,suspension and fluid service Saturday since I am off work .. so this is a more of what I am doing in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Blew up my EBC yesterday. Greddy Profec B that I bought used a decade or so ago.

Was out for a quick cruise while the weather was nice and kept hitting fuel cut on any even slightly hard acceleration. Was expecting to find an intake pipe cracked or not tightened down.

Thankfully I was able to get a couple small screws onto the holes. Threw a zip tie around it for good measure. Seemed to hold ok on a couple mile run this morning. Hopefully it will hold for a year or so till I upgrade the ECU to one that includes boost control.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My electric fans arrived so I temporarily installed it on my 87 to see how it looks. Fans are from a Ford Contour and the wire/plugs are from a Ford Aspire. I'm glad that there's plenty of space available in the off chance that I go with a two row radiator.
Planning to use a Hayden 3647 fan controller - should arrive tomorrow.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Alloy wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive wheel system

6281 - 6300 of 6329 Posts