Nice thats cool! I see a few of our cars around still.
Saw this boosty boi the other day out at the coast in Washington.
Other than that... On my car I opened a box with the last part I think I need to get it running. This weekend should be it. If course is supposed to be raining, and the targa leaks... But do you think that'll stop me from going for a drive??
Well, bad day today. I looked at my rear strut towers, and rust is starting to pop up underneath the pads and the TEMS wires. My car has a little bit of rust here and there, but it was completely clean there when I bought it, and now it's rusting. I have zero idea how, considering the fact that it hasn't really moved much since I bought it, and it's been covered with a car cover + a tarp over that. It fuckin blows. I have zero idea how it happened, I just hope that it's repairable, I don't want to have to part it out. Guess time will tell. Hoping my motor build can move a bit faster, but still haven't gotten a head gasket 4+ months after I ordered it. Shit sucks.
Edit: After work I'll probably post some pictures here. Maybe get some insight from people with more experience on whether to keep going or part it. If it does get parted, you guys are getting first dibs on everything. 9/10ths of the stuff on there is good condition.
I've been dealing with a slight water intrusion at the back below the right hand taillight area. When you raise the hatch sometimes it drips from the plastic cover where the retractable trunk area cover hooks onto. I figure that there's a leak between the hatch glass and the gasket. There's never been any water in the taillight. I went online looking for some type of crack sealer and found a product called EZR crack sealant. It's a 4 ounce bottle that's twice as much volume and half the cost of the other product called Captain Tully's crack sealer. It looks like skim milk and is probably some type of elastomeric solution similar to milkweed juice. It dries clear and slightly flexible. I didn't want to make a mess with it so I used a 9 x 12 foot plastic drop cloth draped over the hatch floor area and covering the rear bumper which is important I later found out. I took a 10ml syringe and clipped the needle tip and inserted that in a short piece of flexible tubing that the needle fit into tightly. I filled the syringe half full with the solution and slowly injected the solution while dragging the plastic tube along the upper then lower gasket contact points from the inside at the forward end of the hatch while it was raised. I waited a couple hours and lowered the hatch. I was planning to do the sides and the bottom end from the inside when I noticed the uncured milky liquid dripping from the holes that normally allow water to drain out behind the hatch gasket on to the bumper. That's why it's important to have a drop cloth covering the bumper so you don't get that milky solution that gets sticky when it dries. It does dry clear though. Maybe I should've waited longer. Some of it also drained down to the lower end of the gasket. I collected some of that with the syringe and spread it at the bottom. I did the sides and the bottom and left the hatch down overnight with the drop cloth. The next morning when I raised it there wasn't any dripping so it looks like it cured enough not to flow. I also took a Q-tip and went around those rubber plugs You find at the back of the hatch and those rubber wire tunnel grommets that feed into the hatch at the top. It hasn't rained yet and I haven't washed the car to test it. When it does I'll update. The glass surround black trim at the bottom of the hatch has 4 nuts that hold it on. They are outside of the gasket. I gave those a slight tightening and put paper towel over the nuts to see if water was getting in there. I'm also putting paper towel inside below the hatch gasket to see if it's dripping in there. I replace the hatch gasket 2 years ago and repaired a rust out of the welded seam it sits on near the key area. What I've done in the past is cut up a absorbent microfiber towel and pushed pieces into the area were water has accumulated to soak it up. It isn't a lot of water but I don't want any to get in there. The other trick people do is to leave the rubber plug under the spare tire slightly ajar to allow drainage but I haven't had that problem quite a while.
@Bruder. Its getting in around the lower window trim. If you remove it and silicone around the 4 bolt holes it will stop it from getting inside. I actually add some rubber trim to mine between the glass and trim. Im honestly going to take it back off and add some more.
If you can help it dont let moisture in plus the drain plug at the bottom isnt actually at the lowest point so you still end up with standing water.
Leaks in the back on MK3s come from 2 places in my experience. The one that fills the hatch and drips on you when you open it is from the trim seal at the bottom of the window.
The larger one that fills up the two side saddle areas and spare tire with water are the tail light gaskets.
My 87 had both. I put new window trim on and pulled the whole tail light lens out, scraped off gaskets that looked like hard charcoal, put on new gaskets with a trim adhesive. My spare tire started to rust and I had to remove light surface rust from the wheel well.