Supra Forums banner
6321 - 6340 of 6385 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Drove my car to work today. Noticed water sloshing noise behind the dash. So far, coolant level is ok. No rise in temps and oil looks clean.. Could it be possible my rad.cap is failing? It appears to be original. I've seen other threads with mixed responses of it being "normal" but that just doesn't sound right
edit this thread should be called what did your mk3 do to you today lmao

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
693 Posts
Air in the system.
Could be caused by a bad radiator cap, if it's not pulling coolant into the radiator from the overflow during cool down.
(This is how the car is able to self bleed the air from the system. Takes a few cool down cycles for it to purge the system)

Or you are getting a constant stream of air into the coolant system, most probably head gasket would be the source of that is the case.
A test of the coolant will tell you if exhaust gasses are present or not. (Get a tester for this)

Either way, air in the system is not normal and indicates a problem.

I usually have the HVAC heater core gurgling noises also when I drain and refill my coolant system. Even after I burp the system with the elevated funnel on the radiator.
Takes 2-3 days of driving for the radiator cap and overflow bottle to purge the system completely of air.
Once that's done I fill the overflow back to full and inspect the level every so often.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Air in the system.
Could be caused by a bad radiator cap, if it's not pulling coolant into the radiator from the overflow during cool down.
(This is how the car is able to self bleed the air from the system. Takes a few cool down cycles for it to purge the system)

Or you are getting a constant stream of air into the coolant system, most probably head gasket would be the source of that is the case.
A test of the coolant will tell you if exhaust gasses are present or not. (Get a tester for this)

Either way, air in the system is not normal and indicates a problem.

I usually have the HVAC heater core gurgling noises also when I drain and refill my coolant system. Even after I burp the system with the elevated funnel on the radiator.
Takes 2-3 days of driving for the radiator cap and overflow bottle to purge the system completely of air.
Once that's done I fill the overflow back to full and inspect the level every so often.
Thank you, im not experiencing any other bhg symptoms but I do have some coolant residue under my rad cap. Will go to dealer for this. I think I read that 2 caps were used, small and large versions.
I just flushed my cooling system 100 miles ago so hoping this is the case

·
Registered
111 Posts
Plant Wood Grass Bumper Automotive exterior

Well I started redoing my interior today. Got all the hard plastic pulled out and painted. Ordered some alcantara and velvet to replace place where vinyl was located at stock. Yesterday I got a hold of the guy who is gonna redo my seats. Bad news is he said it would be until after Christmas before he could get to them but said he would be able to do them quick once he started. Oh and I found some more surface rust on the inside of the wheel well so I went nuts with some rust encapsulator.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Haven't removed the targa in roughly 13 years. Today I discovered that my front bolts to the targa top are threaded and rusted in place. Day ruined.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
416 Posts
Mastered pin removal on one type of connector: CPS and TEMS. After hours over months I got the removal down to four under two minutes. Even got one out that didn’t have a wire left to pull on.

With 14 new pins I managed to get two properly built, properly crimped with the rubber seals installed. I definitely under-estimated how many I’d need to practice :)

Guess it’s back to bmotorsports.com.

Bow Arrow Wood Bow and arrow Art

Two of those in the picture pulled off. That or I cut all four off to try again. At any rate, my count for the day was two.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dropped my turbskie off at UPS on its way to Driftmotion for overhaul.... dang $55 for shipping!
I wondered what it would cost. They offer $100 for rebuildable cores, but you've got to get them there. I gave mine to a guy who had five to go back, but don't know how he gets them there. Used to be you could drive in and pick up stuff, but since Covid, no more :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wondered what it would cost. They offer $100 for rebuildable cores, but you've got to get them there. I gave mine to a guy who had five to go back, but don't know how he gets them there. Used to be you could drive in and pick up stuff, but since Covid, no more :(
Rebuild cost was $489, buying a reman from Driftmotion outright is $759. So even with the shipping to DM, it's still over $200 cheaper to have them do my turbo. I checked options.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey Walmart has CT-26 turbos for sale on their website.....😢 I have no idea who would buy one from them though.
It might surprise you, as long as you were 100% sure you were at a real Walmart site. They index a bunch of stuff, and they drop ship. If you were sure that it wasn't a scam site, you may really find yourself a deal or obscure part. The reality of getting it is questionable, and the details as to where from pretty much a guess. I do know that Walmart is trying to be serious about competing with Amazon. Their marketing plans may be questionable, but if they've got the proper links to reliable sources, you might just score.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Rebuild cost was $489, buying a reman from Driftmotion outright is $759. So even with the shipping to DM, it's still over $200 cheaper to have them do my turbo. I checked options.
Thanks for the figures. I was really only commenting on the freight vs. the core, but the rebuild cost does help put that in perspective. As a rebuild it's a better deal than just selling a core.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It might surprise you, as long as you were 100% sure you were at a real Walmart site. They index a bunch of stuff, and they drop ship. If you were sure that it wasn't a scam site, you may really find yourself a deal or obscure part. The reality of getting it is questionable, and the details as to where from pretty much a guess. I do know that Walmart is trying to be serious about competing with Amazon. Their marketing plans may be questionable, but if they've got the proper links to reliable sources, you might just score.
Oh it was off of Walmarts site but it was a 3rd party dealer selling it through their site. There is no way I would buy it. The thought of it exploding and rattling around in the engine is just not something that I would ever not think about while driving.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the figures. I was really only commenting on the freight vs. the core, but the rebuild cost does help put that in perspective. As a rebuild it's a better deal than just selling a core.
That makes more sense now you say that, I think I read it wrong. Yeah at $55 for shipping for a $100 core... $45 isn't much. Probably cheaper ways if you get enough of them. Weight was 25lbs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oh it was off of Walmarts site but it was a 3rd party dealer selling it through their site. There is no way I would buy it. The thought of it exploding and rattling around in the engine is just not something that I would ever not think about while driving.
I do agree for a turbo that's likely to come from China, but I get hits on the Walmart site for obscure parts that have long since been discontinued. I have an idea of what it takes to be a 3rd party vendor for Walmart. There is an effort to be involved with them. If you're truly dealing with Walmart and they back their sales (as Amazon does), then ordering from them is relatively safe. There is some hope that they've connected with a source you wouldn't otherwise find? I think that doing business with them isn't an all bad idea. I will try it the next time I get so directed in my search. I tried the other day to find a floor pan, of course discontinued. It just takes one hit to be successful and if Walmart is doing a decent job of matching inventories with 3rd party vendors, it could just get you that one part nobody else has since 2008.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Broke my snail.

Smelled something burning after a 5th gear highway pull on the way home yesterday. Couldn’t find anything last night so drove it work today. No smell as long as I stayed off boost.

Popped the hood when i got to work and found a bunch of oil spray under the turbo. I vaguely remember thinking my oil drain gasket was bad when I slapped it back together 12+ years ago.

Really hoping I’ll get lucky and just need to replace turbo gaskets. I even already have a set from DM because I didn’t think it would last this long. About to dive in and find out.

6321 - 6340 of 6385 Posts