Supra Forums banner
6341 - 6360 of 6385 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
416 Posts
Got the alternator connector from DM with pigtail wires attached. Just when I get good with pin removal :( Added a foot or so of wire to each in the three leads, twisted them and covered with marine grade heat shrink. Totally forgot until just now that I also have some woven covering to experiment with... another day.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Blue Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Replaced the wire from a very short piece off OEM harness. Wires crimped and covered,

Starting to get some order here, and glad to be officially moving away from stock. There are still two or three relays that can't be where they are, so from here on out, I will mount them anywhere, and wire them accordingly. My relocated oil filter is below the former battery location and the oil hoses (yet to be fit to length) come up out of the top. Perhaps another aluminum plate to cover the site. Filter changes take place under the inner fender lining, much as where the windshield washer system is on the other side, IIRC.

Anyway, pleased with the cables I've added. Getting better with the crimp tool, too.

·
Registered
1986.5 black/tan N/A auto
33 Posts
Today I re-wired some ebay headlights to work with the stock plug and so that i could get drl's and turn signals on the headlight. it was my first time trying some electrical work and im pretty happy with the results. (dont have highbeams anymore because for some reason the ground on the stock plug switches when you turn them on so it just doesnt work)
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Dropped it off at Fornari Racing.

Turns out I was right about the turbo oil gasket being bad but wrong about it being the source of the smell. On my way up to the shop one of the hose barbs on the heater valve gave out. It was quite the smoke show from under the hood and through the glove box.

Thankfully my wife was following behind to drive me home anyways. She ran me to the closest parts store for a couple jugs of coolant and a coupler and we were on the road again in 45 minutes.

Dominic’s going to do the turbo oil gasket and a set of his solid subframe bushings while it’s there. It’s been a good while so I’ll post an update to my build thread when she’s home.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Finally got started on refreshing some of the front suspension components on my '89. The OEM TEMS shocks have low mileage, but if I could have replaced them too, I would have due to overall age. Otherwise, just got the driver side done today, including swapping out the heavily corroded spring, the shock mount, the MKIV spring isolator/boot in place of the worn out original, and few minor nuts and bolts here and there. Was pretty straight forward.

Automotive tire Jaw Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system Coil spring

Wood Gas Auto part Tool Metal

Camera accessory Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Cylinder

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Cave

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle brake Automotive lighting

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
1989 Sport Roof White Pkg 7M-GTE + mods
166 Posts
Installed my middle wing section. The two outside bolts had corroded off the middle section of the three piece wing so I have been carrying the middle section around in the back of my car. I took it to a machine shop who drilled out and tapped the metal block inside the mounts for 6mm metric threads. I bought some stainless 6mm bolts and used a Dremel to cut off the heads. Using Loctite Thread Lock Red I screwed the bolts into the tapped holes yesterday morning and let it set over night. Installed it this morning. She looks a lot better with the complete wing across the back.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
416 Posts
Installed my middle wing section. The two outside bolts had corroded off the middle section of the three piece wing so I have been carrying the middle section around in the back of my car. I took it to a machine shop who drilled out and tapped the metal block inside the mounts for 6mm metric threads. I bought some stainless 6mm bolts and used a Dremel to cut off the heads. Using Loctite Thread Lock Red I screwed the bolts into the tapped holes yesterday morning and let it set over night. Installed it this morning. She looks a lot better with the complete wing across the back.
Pictures!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got the passenger side front suspension work done today. Unlike the driver side TEMS shock, which compressed and returned at a reasonable rate, the passenger side test, done outside of the car, demonstrated a shock that returned very slowly. Anyone have a spare front TEMS shock with some life left in it? Or a pair? :)

Note the coil spacing between the corroded spring on the left vs the newer one on the right. Unsure if the gap delta is because the old one is tired and saggy, or the new one came off a '91 turbo, and just had differently spec'd springs. (EDIT: I'm counting an extra coil in the old spring.)

Wood Font Symbol Art Circle

Like the driver side, I also used a combo of new and nicer mounting hardware for the lower strut mount.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive design

And here's a close up pic of how the MK4 spring isolator/cushion looks. It doesn't compress as cleanly into the strut mount as the proper MK3 isolator, but looks like it will do the job.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Water

The passenger side TEMS actuator was also in the wrong position, so I corrected that as well.

Front end seems less bouncy and has a nicer ride at this point. And after this project, there's two less super rusty 10mm bolts, and two additional zip ties, because those stupid rusty bolts sheared off when I tried to remove them. They always seem to tease you with a few full turns before doing that, too.

Now to plan on addressing the aging cooling system..............

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got the passenger side front suspension work done today. Unlike the driver side TEMS shock, which compressed and returned at a reasonable rate, the passenger side test, done outside of the car, demonstrated a shock that returned very slowly. Anyone have a spare front TEMS shock with some life left in it? Or a pair? :)

Note the coil spacing between the corroded spring on the left vs the newer one on the right. Unsure if the gap delta is because the old one is tired and saggy, or the new one came off a '91 turbo, and just had differently spec'd springs.

View attachment 265281

Like the driver side, I also used a combo of new and nicer mounting hardware for the lower strut mount.

View attachment 265282

And here's a close up pic of how the MK4 spring isolator/cushion looks. It doesn't compress as cleanly into the strut mount as the proper MK3 isolator, but looks like it will do the job.

View attachment 265283

The passenger side TEMS actuator was also in the wrong position, so I corrected that as well.

Front end seems less bouncy and has a nicer ride at this point. And after this project, there's two less super rusty 10mm bolts, and two additional zip ties, because those stupid rusty bolts sheared off when I tried to remove them. They always seem to tease you with a few full turns before doing that, too.

Now to plan on addressing the aging cooling system..............
Nice, you answered my question about the mk4 isolator. I overlooked that part when ordering my refresh parts. Hoping I can salvage my mk3 ones

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Big "external" upgrade, bought a town-house with a 2-car garage so the Supra will be able to live indoors for the first time. This is going to open up a lot more things that I can work on with it being in a closed space.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Also found some buried treasure while packing. I KNEW that I had bought one of these by mistake over a decade ago. My passenger side one broke and I bought the driver side one from Titan Motorsports by mistake. Just couldn't remember where I stored it. My driver side one broke a year or so ago and almost impossible and/or expensive to find the drivers side bezel these days so I'm pretty stoked. Nice that it's the OE blue color too and not shadow grey.
Hand Gesture Communication Device Finger Gadget

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also found some buried treasure while packing. I KNEW that I had bought one of these by mistake over a decade ago. My passenger side one broke and I bought the driver side one from Titan Motorsports by mistake. Just couldn't remember where I stored it. My driver side one broke a year or so ago and almost impossible and/or expensive to find the drivers side bezel these days so I'm pretty stoked. Nice that it's the OE blue color too and not shadow grey.
View attachment 265309
I'm assuming by "broke" you mean part of the plastic, but just as an FYI for the wider audience, if the metal clips on your bezels are broken, they have their own part numbers and can still be ordered from Toyota. I know because I just saved my passenger side bezel by ordering a replacement, plus a few spares.

p.s. Jealous of that new garage space. I gotta do everything on an exposed driveway that also has a slight incline.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Big "external" upgrade, bought a town-house with a 2-car garage so the Supra will be able to live indoors for the first time. This is going to open up a lot more things that I can work on with it being in a closed space.
View attachment 265308

View attachment 265309
Congrats on the new work space! Highly recommend epoxying the floor while its clear and clean, makes it more comfortable to work and not that expensive ! Also nice find on the bezel. I've been hunting for a passenger side but they cost a small fortune

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm assuming by "broke" you mean part of the plastic, but just as an FYI for the wider audience, if the metal clips on your bezels are broken, they have their own part numbers and can still be ordered from Toyota. I know because I just saved my passenger side bezel by ordering a replacement, plus a few spares.

p.s. Jealous of that new garage space. I gotta do everything on an exposed driveway that also has a slight incline.
Yeah, unfortunately the plastic snapped in the middle. I actually bought some Q-BOND to see how well that might work as a repair. I think I'll still give it a try just to see how well it works. I feel ya on the drive way, lot of outdoor repairs have led up to me finally having an enclosed space.

Wow I'm jealous thats a lot of room. I feel like I am always backing into something when I work on mine.
lol, I'm sure I'll eventually end up with too much stuff in there and find myself backing into things as well. A garage with good space was high on my list while searching for a place, which is not easy out here...everything is either open or has a carport, garages are a scarcity.

Congrats on the new work space! Highly recommend epoxying the floor while its clear and clean, makes it more comfortable to work and not that expensive ! Also nice find on the bezel. I've been hunting for a passenger side but they cost a small fortune
Been researching flooring options, thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking at epoxying or laying down something like RaceTrax/SwissTrax. I'll need to call a couple places out here to get an idea of the cost.

Looks like toyotapartsdeal.com might have some if you can do maroon or medium gray color.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately the plastic snapped in the middle. I actually bought some Q-BOND to see how well that might work as a repair. I think I'll still give it a try just to see how well it works. I feel ya on the drive way, lot of outdoor repairs have led up to me finally having an enclosed space.

lol, I'm sure I'll eventually end up with too much stuff in there and find myself backing into things as well. A garage with good space was high on my list while searching for a place, which is not easy out here...everything is either open or has a carport, garages are a scarcity.

Been researching flooring options, thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking at epoxying or laying down something like RaceTrax/SwissTrax. I'll need to call a couple places out here to get an idea of the cost.

Looks like toyotapartsdeal.com might have some if you can do maroon or medium gray color.
View attachment 265519
😳 medium gray! Holy crap nice find! I hope thats my color lol I'm not sure if I'd call it gray or blue ?

Depending on how bougie you want the epoxy, I used rustoleum epoxyshield and so far after a year I have no complaints. In hindsight I should've added the extra shiny clear topcoat but its great

·
Registered
152 Posts

View attachment 265519
I just ordered two of these from Toyota Parts deal actually... it is 100% fake news. They cancelled the order after 2 days due to item out of stock.

I need 2 of them sadly as well and they are damned expensive on the ebays... :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just ordered two of these from Toyota Parts deal actually... it is 100% fake news. They cancelled the order after 2 days due to item out of stock.

I need 2 of them sadly as well and they are damned expensive on the ebays... :(
Always check the status on an actual Toyota dealer's parts site first (e.g., McGeorge Toyota). If they say it's discontinued, it's pretty much guaranteed that places like Toyota Parts Prime will waste your time. Especially the same if Amayama ALSO says the item is unavailable (although on the flip side, take their "in stock"/green dot status with a HUGE grain of salt as well -- they really suck with that lately).

6341 - 6360 of 6385 Posts