Supra Forums banner
4881 - 4900 of 4950 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Damn... does it need double sided tape or something?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
You will like this setup a lot.
I also went with the HKS HM4, but Superpro bushings instead. Very firm, but comfy ride.
The bushing of the rear LCA are a pain. I wasn't able to press these out. I had to burn them out. The rest should be pretty easy.
The HKS run very low out of the box. I had them raise approx 15mm - 20mm front and rear if I recall correctly.

Good luck!
same here. those were a huge PITA. the aluminum arms were a little tricky too but i was able to cobble together enough dies to get them out on the press. i got my rear done but had issued with my superpro diff bushings coming apart. FIGS just sent new ones last week then i'll be doing that and completing the front.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Started installing my HKS Hypermax IV coilovers and Strongflex bushings (finally). So far the front bushings can all be pressed out and back in with a ball-joint press from AutoZone (loan-a-tool), a socket set, and a vise (the vise just holds the ball-joint press). Pictures to follow after I'm done.
You will like this setup a lot.
I also went with the HKS HM4, but Superpro bushings instead. Very firm, but comfy ride.
The bushing of the rear LCA are a pain. I wasn't able to press these out. I had to burn them out. The rest should be pretty easy.
The HKS run very low out of the box. I had them raise approx 15mm - 20mm front and rear if I recall correctly.

Good luck!
same here. those were a huge PITA. the aluminum arms were a little tricky too but i was able to cobble together enough dies to get them out on the press. i got my rear done but had issued with my superpro diff bushings coming apart. FIGS just sent new ones last week then i'll be doing that and completing the front.
I'm actually glad I found this thread and these posts... all 4 corners need various bushings replaced, and my ride quality sucks. If I roll over a manhole cover feels like I hit a pot hole, and the car will pull one way or another depending on wheel.

I wondered about the SuperPro bushing set if it was worth the reduced cost for Poly bushings instead of the OEM rubber? I've never replaced bushings before, so this is where I am at a loss.

Can buy 3rd party upper control arms with rubber, and the OEM lower control arms are still (supposedly) available. I don't plan on tracking/racing the car anytime in the near future and just plan on weekend joy rides. Figure the entire bushing kit is sub $1000, but replacement upper/lower arms are pushing $2000 for all 4 corners.

Shocks/springs were intended before the noticing the bushings as I would like to drop the car an inch or so, again, going for comfort primarily and sport/handling is a close 2nd. Was thinking just OEM shocks and a set of lowering springs, but would like to eventually replace my rims/tires so assume Coilovers should/would be the best option since I will already have everything apart.

I'd really like to hear more about the HKS setup. I had Tein HA's on my 2001 Celica back in the day (2002/2003-ish), but have read their quality has gone down. Also just ran across FIGS, for LCA's (I think), but wasn't sure if there was a reason over OEM?

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,012 Posts
A few initial pictures, showing my hand-tool "press" and one of the upper front control arms:

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,012 Posts
How's the ball joint holding up? Looks beat up (boot) from the pics. Any reason why you went with Poly bushings instead of Rubber?
Boot is just dirty. No cuts/rips and still very flexible. No play or noise from the ball joint.

I went with poly bushings to to tighten things up a little, since I track this car occasionally. My rubber ones (which were alegedly R2 bushings, according to the previous owner, but I'm not sure they weren't just stock bushings) were making a lot of noise (squeeky) and some were showing some wear on the outside edges where you can see them.

Reactions: DaTaSPiKe

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
if your going to do all that work then go poly. i got R2s a long time ago so thats what i installed but if i were to do it again i would get all StrongFlex. Superpro is nice too but $$$$$ for a part that does the same thing.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,012 Posts
Finished doing this:

And this:

And then got a really good alignment.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,012 Posts
Hows the ride? Bushings and suspension is next on my list. Compared to previous setup?
I've only put a handful of miles on the car since the modifications, but my initial impressions are these:
  • Ride is fine...about the same as before, yet these spring rates are about 60% firmer than the stock-plus-20%-gixxer_drew setup I had before. That impresses me, because I was concerned the ride would be harsher. When I first got the car with the stock-plus-100%-gixxer_drew setup, the ride was unbearably firm. These HKS spring rates are the same as that old gixxer_drew setup, but doesn't feel harsh...a tribute to how HKS designed the valving I'm sure. So far, I'm still at 15/30 (middle setting) on the damper adjustment. My plan is to crank it up at the track.
  • The HKS coilovers are heavier than the gixxer_drew setup (but I haven't weighed the gixxer_drew setup yet to know the exact weight difference).
  • Red StrongFlex bushings: I'm so glad I did this. The previous bushings (allegedly R2 from the previous owner) were very squeaky....embarrassingly so. And hard (probably from age). I don't notice any additional NVH. And the car is so much quieter at slow speeds with the windows down, because the squeakiness is gone. As others will attest, bushing replacement is very labor intensive.

Reactions: supralover93

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,012 Posts
Brilliant. I have to see another angle of using it on the hitch like that.
Here's a good photo of my "vise-on-a-stick". Using the truck as a fixed point works great. This is when I had my 4th gen 4Runner (2008):

Is that a 4th gen 4runner bumper?
Close...it's a 5th gen 4Runner...2018...in the bushing/control arm picture.

Reactions: Rocket3004

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a good photo of my "vise-on-a-stick". Using the truck as a fixed point works great. This is when I had my 4th gen 4Runner (2008):
Maybe this is common or you've posted about it in the past, but this blows my mind. Very clever! Vise on a stick. :cool:

So you have your vice mounted to a piece of steel that then is welded (or mounted itself) to a piece of 2" square stock/2" receiver piece?

·
Registered
1993.5 Black on Tan, GTE, RPS T72 Single kit, 6 speed
1,013 Posts
Maybe this is common or you've posted about it in the past, but this blows my mind. Very clever! Vise on a stick. :cool:

So you have your vice mounted to a piece of steel that then is welded (or mounted itself) to a piece of 2" square stock/2" receiver piece?
shawn is a crafty dude and is a OG on here. His knowledge is implanted all over the forum and has helped countless people.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,012 Posts

I can't remember exactly the brand or where I got this from, but here's an example. They come premade:
Vise-on-a-stick mount at CarID

Then I just bought the vise I wanted and bolted it to the mount with the supplied hardware.

Reactions: Rocket3004

·
Registered
43 Posts
shawn is a crafty dude and is a OG on here. His knowledge is implanted all over the forum and has helped countless people.
Yeah, I see that and his join date :p. I thought I joined a long time ago, but I guess I was lurking for a while before hand.

I can't remember exactly the brand or where I got this from, but here's an example. They come premade:
Vise-on-a-stick mount at CarID

Then I just bought the vise I wanted and bolted it to the mount with the supplied hardware.
Cool, thanks! This beats my weak vice I have now. I don't yet have a great mounting solution for it on a solid worktable so this is a nice work around

Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread too much here!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Finished doing this:

And this:

And then got a really good alignment.
Aye I grabbed the S's too, how do they ride so far? I haven't thrown mine on yet.

4881 - 4900 of 4950 Posts