Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight, so I originally bought my Supra not intending to drift. But, its growing on me...
After seeing Hachibill drift on youtube in the Supra, I know it can be done. *and seeing him do a few nice donuts in the middle of Fletcher*

But, I have no idea where to start? What do I need to do to the car? How can I practice? Where can I practice? if your in Fl. You can PM me some spots;)

I'm totally new to drifting, but i'm in love already!

Cheers
-Skim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do tons of research.

I hope you have some simple modifications on your car that will help you drift, such as:

Differential
Fully adjustable suspension
Wheels/good tires
Engine mods for quick spool

Try going into regional forums of other boards to see some tracks for drifting in Florida.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would say start stripping weight.. get good tires for front and rear.. Find a vacant parking lot and a cone and start practicing initiations on that cone.. dont worry about being DK.. just try to start your drift before the cone and feeling what it is to be sideways in the car. Also a video camera can help because then you can see what it looks like and connect it to what it feels like inside the car and make your adjustments from there.

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool

I have brand new tires on the front. and I have 2 sets of rear tires that are on sawblades...perfect for drifting

I do have a decent amount of engine mods, and I have the car lowered on Gr2s with Intrax springs.

The only problem around here is finding an empty parking lot...where the police won't bug you

·
Registered
459 Posts
brakes and maybe most importantly a DURABLE CLUTCH

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am a firm believer of all tires being good. saw blades will goo up and spin out after little wear. but its ok untill you get a little practice. after that get some good tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a firm believer of all tires being good. saw blades will goo up and spin out after little wear. but its ok untill you get a little practice. after that get some good tires.

Darren's correct about the tires; although many people might think tires that spin easy are good for drifting. In fact, it is NOT. Those drifting videos we watch online, all those seasoned drivers are using "grippy tires" because those tires don't de-form and goo-up once being heated up ( 2~3 laps ). The reason why they use good tires is just because they want to be able to control where the car goes, not just letting tires loose and ass whipping anywhere~~~ Remember, "drifting is supposed to be under controlled"...... it is not making the cars go out of control.
All the smokes that pro cars are making is purely done by the cars power..; when you drift, you want to spin the tires when you step on the gas pedal, but in order to do "switch back" quick and sharp, you do need tires that still can provide good traction right away when you let off the gas.

also, regarding the place to practice.., I would still suggest some local events.., at least you don't need to worry about cops; also, you get to exchange ideas with more seasoned drivers..."

keep up the good work buddy~~ drifting the Supra is way cool~~~~

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've been practicing some...its hard to find any open parking lots around here that you can stay at for long...But I'm slowly getting it sideways.

Heres a question...should I ever be using the e-brake?

I've seen some drivers use the e-brake to help kick the car sideways

·
Registered
294 Posts
i've been practicing some...its hard to find any open parking lots around here that you can stay at for long...But I'm slowly getting it sideways.

Heres a question...should I ever be using the e-brake?

I've seen some drivers use the e-brake to help kick the car sideways
Well, i think starting out, if you are comfortable with using it then use it.. but later down the line, relying out it too much can hurt you. Using the ebrake in heavier cars is usually best when needing to slow down going into another corner.

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so far I haven't used it yet...just reliead on the power to break the wheels loose...

Problem i'm having though is I'll get on it to ge the car sideways...car starts sliding fine, but as the turbo starts to spool, the car gets away from me...

any ideas?

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahh cool videos Drtone! I appreciate it...

Now you say let the car auto-countersteer....it will do that??!!

So I just need to relax my grip on the wheel entering a slide and then control it fromthere?

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow cool...next time I go out, i'm gonna have to try that.

this is also probablly a dumb question, but...
is it a bad idea to practice sliding in the rain? i'm down here in Fl and we have a tropical storm dumping rain on us right now...perfect oportunity, or no?

·
still schooling.
340 Posts
I know a lot of you guys are drifting with mods and stuff but would there be any chance i would be able to start drifting my na mk3 . Maybe if i just stripped all of the weight i could or something?

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm no expert by any means on drifting. But I think you would deffinately be able to get that thing sideways.

If a little 4cyl. corrola can slide, i'm sure you can!!

and let us know how it goes! we could keep this thread alive as the mk3 drift thread :D

as for an update on the progress of my drifting:
It may not count because it was in the rain, but I got a few reeallly nice, counter steered and everything, slides. real long and sideways...(the drifts, the drifts)

·
One team, one fight.
76 Posts
Finally some love for drifting in the MK3 supra world!!!! No one on SM seems to like the idea of drifting a Mk3 at all....

**OFF TOPIC:
BTW I saw HachiBill drift today at Formula D(not in his Mk3) but still it was Saaaweeeeeet!!
Anyways, Congrats Hachi Bill!! and it was BS that you didn't move on... did you hear everyone Boo when the decision was made??? It was funny...

·
Registered
294 Posts
people always boo, even if someone spind sout and makes a lot of smoke, formula d crowd boos because they dont move on xD

·
i'm slo
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...well, first incident drifting today

Sliding, right rear hit a bit of sand and sent the front into a curb...Doesn't look like i bent the wheel. just some curb rash.

There anything else I should check? :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts