Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked all over the board and see lots of post about rebuilding a 7m-gte but I am not sure what all I need. I know I need a gasket set, new head gasket, apr head stud kit, ROSS Piston but what else do I need and were do I get it?? I have not taken the block apart yet it has 88000 miles on it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is your engine knocking?
have you done a compression test?
do you know what a compression test is?
what leads you to believe your 88K mile engine needs rebuilding?
what are your realistic goals?
how much can you realisticlly afford?
have you thought of ordering a complete shortblock from http://www.toyotaworld.com/ or http://www.elmhursttoyota.com/
??
give us some kind of details of what your looking for, and expecting from your car and you just might get some kind of reply. try again please.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking to make a 400 hp car right now. I have no clue if the engine is knocking or if it has compression. It has not been started for 5 year it did run before the guy stared to take it a part. I got about $1500 to play around with

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Honestly, I would just pull the head and prepare it for a new head gasket, while it's off you can chack the condition of your cylinder walls, chances are they will be fine. If so, put on a new HG, flush the crankcase, change all of the hoses and belts and go beat on it!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
400HP, stock internals will do. stock piston have been known to take up to ?600hp? with excellent tuning. no need to spend money on high dollar parts if they're not needed.

Rajunz, is there anything else needed to be done prior to starting up an engine that's been sitting that long? all of the internals are probably bone dry since it hasn't turned over in 5 years. i would be afraid of bearing failure on start up. is their any kind of pre-lube procedure that needs to be done, or is it fine just to crank it over the way it is? i'm kinda ignorant of what procedures are involved in flushing the crankcase. basic oil change? take down pan, flush, and spray/lube the heck out of the crank assembly?

·
Supra { bhg: true }
376 Posts
SupraPowaz! said:
Rajunz, is there anything else needed to be done prior to starting up an engine that's been sitting that long? all of the internals are probably bone dry since it hasn't turned over in 5 years. i would be afraid of bearing failure on start up. is their any kind of pre-lube procedure that needs to be done, or is it fine just to crank it over the way it is? i'm kinda ignorant of what procedures are involved in flushing the crankcase. basic oil change? take down pan, flush, and spray/lube the heck out of the crank assembly?
I was wondering the same thing about mine. It's been sitting for quite a while since I've been doing an HG job and such. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to have the whole system flushed and then fill er back up.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
If it's still in the car, it's a bitch to pull the pan. On a motor that's been sitting for years, drain the oil, but leave the filter on. I would buy real thin weight oil like 10W, fill it up with that. They also sell quarts of engine flush, you can add a quart of that to it. Make sure you have a fully charged battery, disconnect your coils and start cranking it over for a few minutes until you see your oil pressure move. Drain it out and then fill it with your regular oil and a new filter. Start it and let it idle at first to ensure everything is getting lubed properly. Keep an aye on your oil and when it appears slightly dirty, change it again.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
If you are that worried about it, pull the spark plugs before cranking like Rajunz said. This will eliminate most of the pressure on the rod bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts